All Hail AOL!!

/ All Hail AOL!! #1  

PitbullMidwest

Platinum Member
Tractor
1998 Kubota L2900GST
Some times things come along that you just have to tell others about, this is such a time.

My mother in law received an offer from the local farm co-op for discounted internet service for it's members and decided to take advantage of the offer and to drop AOL. When she notified AOL that she wanted to cancel her account she was told that she did not have that authority because the account was in her husband's name. She explained that he had passed away from cancer last year but AOL said, sorry only he can cancel the account. After talking to 4 different "supervisors" she was told that she would need to send a copy of the death certificate and a copy of the will !!! She flatly refused and hung up. She canceled the credit card that the account was billed to and is now receiving bills from AOL in the mail.

After discussing the matter with her lawyer she called AOL and informed them that as executor of the estate she had legal control of all business dealings and could cancel subscriptions and services. AOL's response? Quote: "AOL will decide what is needed to cancel the account. As a New Jersey based company we are not bound by Iowa law. Failure to pay for services due will be negitively reflected on your credit report and could lead to legal action"

No payment has been made for the last 6 months but AOL continues to provide service (she does not however use it) and continues to bill her and harass her by phone and mail.

I've always had a low opinion of AOL but this is unbelievable.

/ All Hail AOL!! #2  
They didn't get the name AOhell for nothing!

/ All Hail AOL!! #3  
""AOL will decide what is needed "
Another of those Time_warner companies I have no dealings with.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ All Hail AOL!! #4  
That's crazy!
Talk about being insecure about repeat business!

/ All Hail AOL!! #5  
This kind of "service" from large companies really get's me up tight.

<font color="red"> "AOL will decide what is needed to cancel the account. As a New Jersey based company we are not bound by Iowa law. Failure to pay for services due will be negitively reflected on your credit report and could lead to legal action"
</font>

Wish the Iowa lawyer would tell AOL,
"The Widow has decide what is needed to cancel the account. As a Iowa based citizen she is not bound by New Jersey law. Failure to cancel this account will be negitively reflected on your customer relations department and could lead to legal action"

Keep us posted. I'd like to know how this ends.

/ All Hail AOL!! #6  
Now that one takes the cake. I can't believe them. I have never liked them. I would tell her not to worry about paying it. What are they going to do ruin his credit report? Geez the nerve.

/ All Hail AOL!! #7  
--------What are they going to do ruin his credit report---------

Classic!

When my mother in law passed away this past year she also had AOL and when my father in law tried to cancel the account they wouldn't let him. The name on the account was hers---but---the credit card was in his name and he called the credit card company and disputed the charge from aol. They ended up giving in but after a bunch of unneeded hassle.

What was even worse was they made it sound like it was his fault for her passing on and now they were going to loose that account.

If I ever thought about switching to aol after that I NEVER would even if they gave me free access to the internet.

Please tell her good luck and for anyone else having the same problem don't be afraid to dispute the charge on the card. Worst thing that anyone will have to do is go sign a paper at the bank.
Gordon

/ All Hail AOL!! #8  
I hope somebody who works for AOL reads this. I hope any TBN members who have AOL read this and seriously consider switching from to another provider... Any other provider.

I pay a nice sum for DSL. However, services such as NetZero and Juno offer monthly service for $9.95. This will likely be better and faster than AOL.

It's like a drug. I gotta get my mother weaned off it.

Rick

/ All Hail AOL!! #9  
I've had good luck (so far) with Access4Free for $0/month. Another alternative is Access4Less for $4.95/month.

Both offer access with no banner ads, no pop-ups, fast connections and nationwide access numbers. There are alternatives, folks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif - assuming you can get away from ao-hell. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ All Hail AOL!! #10  
I have never understood why people will pay for aol. As has been mentioned you can get the same thing for less with other providers. The things aol does provide like the IM and news you can get too for free. Why pay $25/month when all you need is access and you can get that for free or $10/month?