All thread rod as rebar

/ All thread rod as rebar #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
At a work project they were going to put several hundred feet of all thread rod in the dumpster as the job was complete. Most is in 12 foot long sticks. Most 1/2 inch, some 3/8s. I have no near future use for it but have a concrete project coming up. Can I use it instead of rebar for the concrete?

/ All thread rod as rebar #3  
I can bend 3/8 rebar across my knee up to about 180 degrees. Not sure I could do that with all thread. Never tried.

The two have different compositions. Not sure if that affects strength, or if it matters. I'd guess if you tried to bend all thread too tight, it would snap like a bolt.

But I'd be tempted to use it if it was free.

/ All thread rod as rebar #4  
It would depend on how the concrete will be stressed. Threaded rod would work ok for a slab but I'd advise against using it in a situation where the concrete isn't supported underneath.

Concrete won't grip the relatively small threads as well as it does to the lugs on rebar. Also, that threaded rod may not have the same tensile strength as rebar.

/ All thread rod as rebar #5  
I wouldn't hesitate to use the all thread especially at the price, if worried just use a bit more

/ All thread rod as rebar #6  
I’ve used a lot of different things in place of rebar, in order to cut costs. All thread rod would definitely be acceptable for most of my projects The one exception is the barn floor, too much heavy equipment to chance it.

over 30 years living here, and no issues so far.

/ All thread rod as rebar #7  
I wouldn’t hesitate to use all thread in concrete. People have been using things like chicken wire, hog panels, etc for years with seemingly little I’ll effects. Go for it!

/ All thread rod as rebar #8  
I'd use it especially for free, as was said, use more if you'll feel better

/ All thread rod as rebar #10  
You could improve the grip of the concrete by threading some bolts nuts! onto each rod.

Or weld the intersections, after placing it in a grid pattern.

This is if you are using it simply to prevent cracks in a floor.

As noted above, structural concrete - columns, beams, arches etc, should probably use real rebar.

Last edited: