Allis Chalmers 170 and 175

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
My boss just pick up a bunch of used tractors which he will be selling. These two Allis's have around 3000 hours on them, the 170 is gas and 175 diesel. I was thinking offer to buy the 170 for him. What is your thoughts? Stupid idea? 😁
ac175.jpg
ac170.jpg

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #3  
Just check where the valve stem is in the rear rims and make sure they are not starting to rot. The rear rims are about the most expensive pieces you would ever have to replace on those tractors.

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #4  
My in-laws have a 170 that looks pretty similar to that one but with a Perkins diesel. I bush hog 40 acres a time or 2 a year with it. Does a good job. The high-low range selector makes it work a lot like a live PTO. The foot clutch disengages the PTO and transmission but the brush hog will still drive the transmission through inertia so you may not come to a stop as soon as you would like. N on the hand selector lets the PTO still be powered and disengages the transmission. Breaks may or may not work well going forward and work a lot less in reverse since they are band brakes. You will have a bit of trouble fitting it down your trails 😁. It's a big heavy tractor, I like it.

20221105_115556.jpg

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175
Yes the Perkins was the diesel option. I thought tractor data said the PTO was live?
1695233426467.png

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #6  
It's the best bad idea you've had in a long time. 🤣

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #7  
It's entirely possible that there could be something wrong with his, but my experience is that the foot clutch disengages both the transmission and PTO from being driven by the engine but the transmission and PTO are still mated together. Meaning the PTO and tires are either both spinning or neither spinning. The bush hog inertia absolutely drives the wheels of the tractor with the foot clutch pushed in.

But, like I had said earlier, the hand clutch/ range selector does let the PTO remain driven while clutching the transmission, and the bush hog does not push the tractor around. Maybe that is why it's listed as live on Tractor Data? It's actually a pretty good setup that woks well. I usually use 3rd gear to cut. In the thick stuff or for turns I use low range and lighter stuff or open areas I slide it into high which I think is called 5th. The range selector/ hand clutch can be operated on the fly and you can feather it just like a foot clutch. So you can ease up to something at a snails pace then add pressure up to the range selector's detent to speed on up to the full gear speed.

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #9  
My boss just pick up a bunch of used tractors which he will be selling. These two Allis's have around 3000 hours on them, the 170 is gas and 175 diesel. I was thinking offer to buy the 170 for him. What is your thoughts? Stupid idea? 😁 View attachment 822336View attachment 822337
He wants 6500 and 7500 for them.
Just opinion here, but the Perkins 236 is hands down a better engine than the gas AC motor. Unless there's major problems with the 175, I'd seriously try to go that way.

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #10  
It's entirely possible that there could be something wrong with his, but my experience is that the foot clutch disengages both the transmission and PTO from being driven by the engine but the transmission and PTO are still mated together. Meaning the PTO and tires are either both spinning or neither spinning. The bush hog inertia absolutely drives the wheels of the tractor with the foot clutch pushed in.

But, like I had said earlier, the hand clutch/ range selector does let the PTO remain driven while clutching the transmission, and the bush hog does not push the tractor around. Maybe that is why it's listed as live on Tractor Data? It's actually a pretty good setup that woks well. I usually use 3rd gear to cut. In the thick stuff or for turns I use low range and lighter stuff or open areas I slide it into high which I think is called 5th. The range selector/ hand clutch can be operated on the fly and you can feather it just like a foot clutch. So you can ease up to something at a snails pace then add pressure up to the range selector's detent to speed on up to the full gear speed.
Yep, correct it is a live pto but the "Power Director" makes it similar to an independent pto.
It functions similar to the older Allis with a hand clutch as well as a foot clutch.
The foot clutch stops the tractor drive and the pto drive but inertia can keep things moving, while the hand clutch or Power Director would allow the tractor to stop with the pto still delivering power.