Allis Chalmers 170 and 175

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #11  
He wants 6500 and 7500 for them.
There are no 175 diesels listed on Machinery Pete, but 3 170's and they range from $5900 to one that doesn't look any nicer than the ones you showed Arly and they want $12,500 for it.

I also like to use Mecum Gone Farming auctions web site and see what auction prices ranged over the years.

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175
Just to be clear, with a live PTO, when you push the clutch in to shift gears, the PTO stops? I thought "live" meant it kept going. :unsure:

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #13  
One thing I should have added. If you register and use Mecum's site to search past sale prices on tractors, it gives you as good "real" value before all these covid pricing dreamers came into the picture.

Today people tend to pic the highest sale price they have ever seen on a museum piece and that is what theirs is worth, even if it has no wheels and doesn't run, LOL

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #14  
Some "live" pto tractors have a two stage clutch, where the first stage is the pto and then using more pedal gets the drive clutch.

From tractor data.com;

TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors
Articles > Tractor technical articles

Power Take-Off (PTO) Types​

There are three basic types of PTO control on a farm tractor:
Transmission
The simpliest, and earliest, form of PTO is the transmissionPTO. The PTO shaft is directly connected to the tractor's transmission.The PTO is only working when the tractor's clutch is relased, so if you take the tractor out of gear while slowingdown the PTO will stop working. This is a disadvantage in applicationssuch as mowing.

An overrunning clutch is often needed with a transmission PTO.Without it, the driven equipment (such as mower blades) will put aforce on the PTO shaft, and then the transmssion, due to inertia. The equipmentwill "drive" the tractor, and you will still move after using the tractor's transmission clutch. An overrunning clutch prevents this fromhappening by allowing the PTO shaft to freely spin in one direction. In more recent models, this is built into the tractor. Inolder tractors, it is an extra piece of equipment mounted on the PTOshaft.
Live (two-stage clutch)
A live PTO works with the use of a two-stageclutch. Pressing the clutch half-way will disengage the transmissionwhile pressing it fully will disengage the transmission and the PTO.This allows the operator to slow down or change gears while the PTO isstill operating.
Independent
An independent PTO means that the PTO shaft iscontrolled with a separate clutch. As with a live PTO, this allows forfull control over the tractor while separately controlling the PTO.There are two major types of independent PTO; mechanical andhydraulic. A mechanical-independent PTO uses a separate on-offselector, in addition to the PTO control lever. Often the tractor mustbe stopped or off to change this selector position. Ahydraulic-independent PTO uses a single selector.

©2000-2023 - TractorData.com®. Notice: Every attempt is made to ensure the data listedis accurate. However, differences between sources, incomplete listings,errors, and data entry mistakes do occur. Consult officialliterature from the manufacturer before attempting any service or repair.

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #16  
Not in many years!!

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175
Have you been here Arly?
No, seems I belong to to many forums... But i will check it out. I also need to convince the spoucal unit.

/ Allis Chalmers 170 and 175 #19  
No, seems I belong to to many forums... But i will check it out. I also need to convince the spoucal unit.
Lots of Allis knowledge there. And sources for parts.

JUST DO IT!! That's what I do, LOL