Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #11  
As far as the steering goes, A-C used Gemmer and Ross gearboxes on most of the older American tractors, but the ED40 was an import from England, I think. You need to go through the steering, piece by piece, and see what is actually worn. I've seen bad splines on the steering wheel, bad gearboxes, bad spindles, bad tie rods, all contribute to steering slop. I think this model tractor is infamous for a problem with the hydraulic lift, search the discussion page over at the unofficial Allis page site, and you'll find out more. Good luck with your tractor!:D

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #12  
The ED40 was built in England between 1960 and 1967. It used a Standard Ricardo Diesel Engine. This engine was used in the MF35 and so engine parts are very easy to obtain.

I have a Mk 1 ED 40 and the steering s quite erratic due to age and wear. I have so far, been unable to obtain any parts for the steering train. I would imagine that the only way to recover the Steering Box would be to employ a skilled precission engineer and a large amount of cash!

What i have found is that a lot of the steering play at speed (14mph!) is probably due to the king pins in the front axle being worn out. I did manage to get a track rod from a agricultural engineer.... we spent about 20 minutes going through his catalouges with the old one and a vernier to measure the tapers on the ball joints.

The ED40 must be VERY rare on the other side of the Atlantic because in 10 years of ownership here in the Britain i have only ever seen about 5 others!

Body parts are also impossible to obtain although i did see an advert for wings/mudguards in the Netherlands... but very expensive...

Let me know if you need any other help.... Decals are available by the way!

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts
Thanks folks. Obviously been a while since I last checked in but you have raised a few sources that I have overlooked. Will play some more with these issues and see how it goes.

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #14  
post back and let us know how it goes.

good luck,

soundguy

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #15  
I bought an ED40 that is in pretty good condition last year. I understand there was only 450 imported into the US so for being on this side of the Atlantic it is a rare find. I have the dealers parts manual for it that has exploded parts pictures in it, if you need a page tell me what part you need a picture of and I will see if I can scan it and post it here. Any one know what oil filter this dinosaur uses? Here is a handy link.
http://vintagetractorengineer.com/2009/01/allis-chalmers-ed40/
Harry

Last edited:
   / Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #16  
I have an ED 40 also and have experienced the same issue. The tractor was taken to a local mechanic here that works on a lot of the old equipment recently. He replaced the clutch and rear seal among other things. He also adjusted most of the slack out of the steering box and pumped it full of grease. It`s far from perfect now but it is usable. By the way I have to sell this tractor so if anyone is looking for one to restore it does run well. I`m close to Columbus, Ga.

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #18  
Is it for sale? looking for parts tractor. We have rebuilt one ourselves and now have a broken rear axle. but love ours. its a deisel is yours?