Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #101  
.................. until the tires got filled with good heavy fluid - none of this lightweight antifreeze or wiper fluid; good calcium cloride or Rim Guard weight almost 2x as much, .......................
--->Paul

Acccording to various websites, the "lightweight antifreeze or wiper fluid" is anywhere between 4% lighter or heavier than water. Rim Guard weighs 1.29 times what water weighs. That's a far cry from 2X.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #102  
Backhoes aren't really practical as rear ballast unless you have need of a backhoe...even then, they do raise the tractor's center of gravity. Also, a lot of money for a backhoe!!
A box blade would be OK...but not as good as a ballast box and more money (for the box blade) for less weight.
Backhoes are big toys!! Mine weighs 800+lbs and is great ballast. And if you drive with the stabilizers partially down they are great for side to side roll prevention :)

Also the stablizers make it REALLY easy to change a back tire :)

My box blade is no where as much fun to me. But I have added weight on top of it for extra ballast when needed.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #103  
Acccording to various websites, the "lightweight antifreeze or wiper fluid" is anywhere between 4% lighter or heavier than water. Rim Guard weighs 1.29 times what water weighs. That's a far cry from 2X.
:thumbsup: ... CaCl solution will do about 1.5X, tops.
larry

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #104  
Since the OP turned out unharmed, and all the good advice has been given, I'll say that after a few more years of this the OP will be ready for the dancing diggers!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1J2zxMABL0]JCB Dancing Diggers Royal Cornwall Show 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

HH

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #105  
Bunch of Wusses!! Prancing around on a perfectly level and hard Rugby field. Let um try it up in my sugar bush with the three to one slopes, stump holes , boulders and two foot maple trees for check points and see what hey can do other then go home. And not to be nit picky but why have two black roofs and five yellow? Run out of money? :)

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #106  
I don't know. I keep thinking photoshop. An empty bucket? An impossible angle. No tracks in the dirt? Background objects not in the right place at different angles? Pardon me if I am wrong, but it looks photoshopped.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #107  
Why didn't you just lower the fel and set her back down immediately.

That was my first thought as soon as I saw the photos.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #108  
You really don't have *any* counter weight to speak of... Fill the tires with fluid - at least half way and use a lot more weight on the back- 500 lbs minimum.

Use the 6' wide bucket and cut that slope wider and dump the dirt at the bottom of the hill to make it less steep (actually, I would cut into the slope more... dumping / compacting the dirt at the bottom).

Don't worry about the tractor "working" more to get up the hills - it should do it with no problems as long as you are in the correct gear.

That seems like a pretty big 4in1 bucket - is that the correct size for that tractor?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
After 11 pages of gingerly polite comments by others, I am going to risk insult and say to you exactly what my wife said when she first saw the photos. "That was staged."

Among other things, the rear of the tractor does not go that high instantly. Once you started to raise the bucket, the back end would get tipsy and you would quit... unless... it's too unkind to say. Secondly, I'm not buying that a 600lb bucket alone put you in that shape. Yes it is too big/heavy but unless the bucket was loaded some I don't see all this happening. Third, the bucket is not loaded in the photo and there was no way to unload it if things transpired as described/implied. Fourth, the strap holding the machine in the spectacular position is not exactly the normal configuration. That was added at some point...and it is under tension. Fifth, FELs do not "arrive," they are installed and if you have the lack of background you say you do, then you certainly did not install it. Sixth, the path through the cut down area is fairly well packed by tractor tires both above and below the location of the machine in the photos. You were up and down through there several times.

Yes, I am suggesting this was staged. In the very unlikely event that this happened as described (OR if it really happened and you and some friends and another machine propped it back up there for the photos) then I will add this to the other 11 pages of comments:
1) A bush hog makes nice ballast. Yes, you still need to fill the rear tires.
2) The bucket is, as they told you, way too heavy for that tractor. If it was installed by a dealer there is something seriously wrong with your dealer.
3) I don't see much real steep ground in any of the photos. You say "40 degrees" but you probably mean, I hope you mean, 40%. A 40% grade is very reasonable steep ground that you should be able to operate on (up and down) if properly balanced with weight front and back. A 40 degree slope is 83.9%. You never operated a machine on an 83% grade in your life and you won't either. At around 50-60% you will no longer have enough traction to make it up and if you start down, it will be sliding. It will be sliding on less than 50% slopes of sod with the non-AG tires shown on the 4105. That's in ideal weather on ideal sod without mud or sandy soil.

I have to hand it to you for an exciting posted article (obviously provoking profuse comments) no matter what the real story is.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #109  
Staged ??? But why and to what end? I dunno, seems REALLY far fetched to me.
Anything is possible but if indeed that is photochopped
it is INCREDIBLY well done and it would have taken a LOT of time, which
leads me to again say, "To What End?" To what end would the OP
wish to do this, with so much time invested in it. Well, to each their
own, this is a forum and everyone has their own opinions but these
pictures staged? :laughing: I think not, "IMHO".

Chew on this and of corse the camera could be off from parrallel to the
earth a couple degrees but it looks REALLY close, there are other factors
as well...
This a not me "photochopping in angles, I inserted the raster image into
CAD and measured angles to my drawn lines, WITH ORTHO ON.

(Getting PopCorn :D )

Start Chewin'

endo-jd-sm.jpg

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #110  
I am not bothered by the OP dismounting rather then using the loader control to set the rears back down. It is a check your laundry moment and having got that close and being still new with the controls you wouldn't want to pull the wrong lever the wrong way and finish the job. My neighbor who is a new widow got her Kubota standing on its nose with rear wheel lifted like a dog on a hydrant. She bailed off and called me. I could push the rear down with my own weight so I redistributed the blocks she had in the bucket applied some down pressure with the loader and backed up slowly with no trouble. She is now very scared of the tractor and never leaves the driveway or road with it.