Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #191  
How do you push over tall trees if you do not raise the bucket?
Safely?, you don't! some trees worse then others but you should never push tall trees, anybody ever see large tree limb break and fall that little fiberglass rain/sun shield will not stop it.
That said; have I done it? yes I have.
Bota L4740 with a weight box full of dirty river gravel. have both bucket and forks been on 3 tires with weight box a couple times with logs on the forks, anything heavy or sized to be over half the fork length I use 6'bush hog for ballast instead of the weight box, further out the back the weight is makes difference in how much is needed, there are times that the mower as others have said sticks out to far for size of work area.
and I always keep hand on the controls.

Last edited:
   / almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #192  
How do you push over tall trees if you do not raise the bucket?
Doing so with the bucket rasied the loader becomes a large pry bar. And the action of pushing at a tree with the loader rasied high can have the opposite effect. And cause the tractor to push over. It has happened to me. I was trying to push over a tree that I cut. It was hung up in another tree. As I pushed against it my tractor suddenly tilted off the ground and I almost flipped it. So you would be wise not to use the loader in that fashion. My tractor is a JD 4720 with the heavy duty loader. Picture that tipping over.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #193  
Do not use the extender on the bucket, it is more designed for snow, should not be used for hauling soil, it overloads the front axle, use the standard 73 inch bucket for moving soil.
Its a 4 in 1 bucket, not an extended bucket.

Aaron Z

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #194  
Use an inner tube! No corrosion that way. And to really up the weight factor, use CaCl saturated solution. That is both freeze protection and is a very dense [more weight for given volume] fluid. Any competent tractor dealer in a temperate climate should have the equipment [on a truck to do it in your driveway].

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #195  
A bit surprising that the dealer didn't suggest loaded tires and carrying an implement (at least for ballast), if he was familiar with your terrain and experience.

Live customers tend to generate repeat business.

As a comparison, the bucket on my TN70a is 610kg.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Any good dealer should at least mention ballast for safeties sake and even a crappy dealer would generally bring it up to sell you something extra!!! A good ballast box is way less expensive than rolling your new tractor; thank God you didn't get hurt. Fill those tires and get the manual out for the recommended ballast to see what it needs. I was always taught to keep that bucket as low as possible when traveling to keep the COG low and so it's not as far to drop it to the ground if needed. Oh and if the path you need to travel is not safe, put some time into making it safe first; not everyone gets a second chance.

These guys will steer you in the right direction as my experience is somewhat limited with tractors, but I did spend quite a bit of time on forklifts and other heavy equipment; keeping the load within the limits of the ballast with proper transport technique.

Glad you didn't get hurt and get a second chance to learn without the pain and misery others experience. Thanks for sharing your story as it never hurts to remind us all to keep our wits and think about what could happen.

Good luck and I hope you find a way to get your tractor more stable, Glen

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #196  
Personally I would not use Calcium Chloride or anti freeze in the tires, There is another product that has no environmental or rust impact. Concur with the posts that you are one lucky dude. Concur that you should be using low range. Please rethink procedure for going down a steep hill. Even with an empty bucket you have several hundred pounds hanging out over your front axle. The advice for a rear weight is good. remember that the rear weight is closer to the rear axle so has less impact than weight far extended over the front axle. Whenever possible, keep the bucket low. Finally, back down hills. Hope you went to church to thank someone after your experience.
dick

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #197  
Hey guys
First time posting here and I really need some help!
We have quite a steep block of land. Around 5 acres with the steepest part being 40 degrees or so.

I recently purchased a John Deere 4105 with a FEL to do some hobby farming / mowing. There were a few delivery delays for the FEL so at first I only had the tractor. She worked like a charm and I managed to mow all the lawn and get started ripping / tilling. FEL arrived and the whole dynamic changed.

It feels like the tractor actually has trouble going up the hill now? A lot more revs required and she seems unstable.

I'd never driven a tractor before but hydrostatic was simple enough. Did a good 30 hours before the FEL. I had no idea about counterweighting on the first day with the FEL and this happened ( photos )

I didn't get hurt but **** was I shaken up. The FEL is large at 6 foot and the path I cut was only 5 so it didn't fit lowered. I raised it and it just tipped forward.

I thought the ripper would be enough counterweight but it wasn't. The tyres arnt filled either as some have suggested.

I don't want to add so much counterweight the tractor has more trouble going up the slopes?
Its a skid steer loader so ive been dropping it when going on the slopes so ive been hesitant to fill the tyres.

What do you guys recommend??
How much weight should i put at the back?

That 4 in 1 bucket adds a lot of weight -- percentage wise. That ripper probably weighs 150# and the bucket 400+. Take the total weight of the loader & bucket then add whatever #s for what you are picking up. That will get you in the ball park. You can always detach the loader when it is not being used.

In any case, KEEP the bucket close to the ground!!! And if the tractor becomes unsteady, RAM the joystick into Float or Down!!! And wear your seatbelt!

Don't get your comment--" Its a skid steer loader so ive been dropping it when going on the slopes so ive been hesitant to fill the tyres. " Looks like a front wheel steer to me.

Finally, thank the Lord that you weren't killed or maimed!!!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #198  
regardless, 4 in 1 should not have been sold with that size loader, too heavy, high risk of overload. the aftermarket bucket extentions look similar to what the pic shows. Salesmen here won't due to their risk of instability and the soil conditions with that size of tractor. it's better suited for the 400x, cx loader on a 4520, larger tractor.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #199  
I can see all this happening to an new to tractor owner.

What surprized me in looking at photo just posted again was the design of the FEL mounting. The mounting brackets by design means the loader weight is really on the front axle only as I see it.

It doesn't matter where or how the loader is attached. What matters is:
1) Where the mass is
2) How much mass

both in combination directly affects the center of gravity.

You could attach all that to the rear of the tractor, and if the parts could handle the stress, the same mass in the same location would result in the same outcome.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #200