Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard

/ Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Finally got a chance to make the journey to Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard in Bluffton, IN, about 25 miles south of Fort Wayne. WOW! That's a lot of riding mowers! Several thousand of all makes and models. Well organized by brand. It's a u-pick yard. They don't let you walk on the machines. They don't let you pick up the machines. You find the one you want, and they'll dig it out with a fork loader and tip it for you if you need to get under it. They want you to make sure all dipsticks, plugs, fluid caps, etc. are firmly in place or they'll replace them with a plug so that fluid spillage is minimal. It's only open on certain days. They have a calendar on-line that shows the blackout dates. They will not ship parts. You come. You pick. Nice folks! (y)(y)

I'm attempting to make a leaf vacuum, and needed a round single blade mower deck like from a little Snapper rider or anything similar. They had dozens. Mine was $40. If you're in the area, it's worth a look. Free admittance, too.

736ADF25-76EF-4B77-818A-89697397151E.jpeg

/ Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard #3  
Love the coloring of that aerial view. I can see the aisle of classic Cub Cadets from here.

/ Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard
You can't see it from the photo, but all of the machines in a row along the bottom of the picture in the shadow of the building at the entrance drive are about 50 David Bradley 2 wheel tractors.

In most of the rows, there is a pile of mower decks for that brand, as well as snow blowers, snow blades, etc.

There were probably 40 people walking around in there and/or pulling parts. Only two employees today. One checking people in and out, and the other in the yard directing people to "do you have X" and operating the fork loader.

There's a section towards the front of the yard where you cannot pull parts from as those machines are already sold and waiting pickup.

They told me they get several hundred machines in every year.

I saw a lot of people getting tires and rims, steering components, dashboards, and sheet metal parts. Saw two people starting an engine before they decided to pull it.

They had wheeled carts and wagons for you to use if you had heavy stuff.

Reminded me of a very organized pick your part auto yard.

/ Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard #6  
That picture kinda looks like an ant farm I had when when I was a kid.

/ Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard #7  
Interesting! Never knew there was such a thing.
Any idea where they get their inventory from? It's not like most peoples' first thought when getting rid of a lawnmower is to take it to a junkyard.

/ Almost Heaven Lawn Mower Graveyard #8  
How many power tracks did they have?