Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #11  
I put OEM filters on my tractors. I don't have to change them that often, and I want one that fits and works. And, IIRC, the last JD oil fiter I bought was close in price to the NAPA (Wix) equivalent. If you just aren't close enough to a dealer, then call and order them, like Dan and Will suggested.
OTOH, I don't buy oil at the dealer. Tractor manufacturers don't have refineries. Any name-brand oil that meets specs should be fine. I buy all my fuels and lubricants, in bulk, from a local distributor. (Exxon-Mobil) I get engine oil by the drum. Currently running Mobil Fleet 15w-40. While you probably don't want or need to purchase 55 gallons, typically the local jobber will have a case of gallons (usually 3 or 4 gallon jugs per case), and the price will still beat the auto parts or box-store.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #12  
To update my earlier post, the only time I buy OEM oil for the engine is if I cannot get out to TSC for T5 10W30.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #13  
We use WIX filters, Rotella 5W-40 and TSC premium UTF in the JD. I am sure JD resells supplies from good companies but there is no dealer handy plus we need all three items for other brands and gas engines too so I just go top of the line at covers our many needs.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #14  
I am getting ready to do the 50 hour change on my tractor and wanted to share some information I got from my dealer. I asked about using Mobile 1 and a Wix filter because that is what I use in most things I own and was told not to until the warranty ran out. If you do not use JD filters and oil and go in for catastrophic engine failure it will only cause JD to look harder at the cause when deciding on the warranty claim. The aftermarket filter and oil are not much cheaper so I am going with the JD brand at least until the warranty runs out. Hope that helps with your decision.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #15  
I am getting ready to do the 50 hour change on my tractor and wanted to share some information I got from my dealer. I asked about using Mobile 1 and a Wix filter because that is what I use in most things I own and was told not to until the warranty ran out. If you do not use JD filters and oil and go in for catastrophic engine failure it will only cause JD to look harder at the cause when deciding on the warranty claim. The aftermarket filter and oil are not much cheaper so I am going with the JD brand at least until the warranty runs out. Hope that helps with your decision.

Surprised me this thread is still ongoing but for me, I have to concur...it would be wise to stick with OEM filters and oil while under warranty. I have difficulty with the idea that "catastrophic engine failure" would occur unless the owner severely neglected maintenance BUT I cannot really state Deere's position on this isisue.