Tires Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #1  
Tractor
Yanmar 1700B
Where I am in texas we have sandy loam soil (no rocks). When using the FEL the front tires dig in deep at the slightest turn. I was thinking of changing to something wider. RV, automotive or trailer tire? any sugestions on tires or rims. Rims with 4 hole patern, exist?

michael

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #3  
I put rear rims from an old garden tractor on the front of my YM1500. I redrilled them for the new bolt pattern. I got them for nearly nothing on ebay. You may have a problem with this with the extra weight of the loader though...have to make sure they can take the weight..but for few bucks try it maybe! Here is a link to an old thread. Go to the last page and the last entry/pic I left shows the rims on. If the link doesn't work just search with my name and "repainting a tractor" and go to page 6. Hope this helps and gives you another option.
Peter

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/32895-repainting-tractor-any-ideas-experience-6.html

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B
Thanks for the picture showing your front tire conversion. Looked at your tractor, and your paint job. I looked up Ford 850 (your decal) and after going through the tractor models and data. Your YANMAR tractor looks more like the Ford 1310. So being new to tractors, did manufactures like Shibaura manufacture for both Ford & Yanmar.?

How similar YM1700 & YM1700B are to other manufactured models. Especially if there are interchangeable parts between Yanmar and Ford, etc.

Would appreciate anyone who has more information on this.

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #5  
Thanks for the picture showing your front tire conversion. Looked at your tractor, and your paint job. I looked up Ford 850 (your decal) and after going through the tractor models and data. Your YANMAR tractor looks more like the Ford 1310. So being new to tractors, did manufactures like Shibaura manufacture for both Ford & Yanmar.?

How similar YM1700 & YM1700B are to other manufactured models. Especially if there are interchangeable parts between Yanmar and Ford, etc.

Would appreciate anyone who has more information on this.

I don't think Yanmar ever made anything for Ford. They imported under their own name, and for JD. Shibaura and Yanny are more competitors...never made for each other. Yanmar is now making small tractors for ....whats their name (yellow and white one!) I hate when I have a mini-stroke!

Regarding interchangable parts, you can contact Hoye or any of the other good parts people here on TBN.
Peter

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #6  
I put trailer tires on the front if Kubota B7100 when I couldn't find the correct size turf tires anymore. In my case, outside dia. Is critical as my B7100 is 4WD. They work great and are designed for more load than the turfs.

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #7  
How similar YM1700 & YM1700B are to other manufactured models. Especially if there are interchangeable parts between Yanmar and Ford, etc. Would appreciate anyone who has more information on this.
Here's the short version. Hopefully a dealer with broader knowledge will supplement this:

Yanmar is a first-tier Japanese company like Toyota. They don't generally build for others except as I describe below.

Yanmar (and also Kubota) opened their own dealerships in the US in the early to mid 70's.

Take a look at the US Yanmar brochures referenced from my sig, below. Your YM1700B is near identical to the US-version YM195 in that brochure. (B is a later version of YM1700 with fancier trim. It was sold in Japan but the US models never got the 'B' trim upgrade.) Another difference in the US models of the 1970's is that they kept the green paint when the Japanese home market models switched over to red. So my 1981 YM240 is newer than any YM2000 (1977-1979)(its Japanese twin) even though it is in colors that Yanmar quit using for their home market in about 1976. Confused yet? :D

In the late 70's Yanmar contracted to build Deere's compact tractor line but those aren't generally relabeled Japanese Yanmars, they are unique models with little crossover. Ok, a couple of the later Deeres are twins - but not the majority of them. I think Yanmar maintained Yanmar-USA dealers up into the late 80's selling in competition to the Yanmar-built Deeres, then they ended their own presence here. Yanmar-USA now sells construction equipment etc but not farm tractors. They still support the old USA Yanmars like mine.

Then a couple of years ago the contract with Deere ended. Yanmar is now building tractors marketed as Cub Cadet (an American brand). Yanmar-Japan is also building a crawler for the specialized US vineyard business, but I think that is the only farm item. I think support comes from a separate Japan-controlled network and not from Yanmar-USA. (Somebody please fill in here if you have the details!)

So in summary there is no relationship to Ford. Some gray market imports are Yanmars relabeled Zen-Noh because the were distributed to Japanese farmers through a co-op, but that and the contract tractors for Deere and Cub should be the only instances of relabeled Yanmars.

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #8  
I am not aware of any Yanmar dealers, in the sense that Kubota had dealers. Yanmar was carried as a second line by Massey, International, and JD dealers primarily, and some others. It was in this secondary marketing that they actually lost to Kubota, who developed name recognition due to having their own dealerships.

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #9  
Thanks Wayne. I assumed Yanmar ran corporate-owned dealerships like Kubota back in the day, but I stand corrected.

/ Alternative to RIB Tires ?? YM1700B #10  
Not to the best of my knowledge. It's always been my understanding Yanmar ran the line through existing dealerships. Makes sense, too, that Kubota would have emerged on top as the result of focusing on marketing Kubota, while the dealers with Yanmar viewed it as a second line. Lots of things about Yanmar are different in the way the company works. It's important to remember that Yanmar Corp (in Japan) is still FAMILY owned....it is not a public company. It was a few years ago (and may still be) the world's largest company that was NOT publicly traded/owned.