Alternator and starter

/ Alternator and starter #1  

Gary Sweat

Platinum Member
Just wanted to post some things I found while working on the alternator and starter. It got to the point of having to use the compression release to get the engine to spin as the starter wouldn't turn the engine over without it. Took it apart to see if it could be cleaned and maybe get some more life out of it. This is what I found. Cleaned everything and lubed and re-cut the armature to get the gap's back. The starter turned the engine over without having to use the compression release but not all that fast as I had hoped.

Attachments

• Flywheel.JPG
    Flywheel.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 370
  • Dragging solenoid.JPG
    Dragging solenoid.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 210
  • Worn armature.JPG
    Worn armature.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Armature cleaned.JPG
    Armature cleaned.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 251
   / Alternator and starter
I didn't bother with trying to do anything with the alternator, just replaced it with the help from the posts on here. Found one and it went in perfect and works great.

I went ahead and replaced the starter and glad I did. This one spins the engine much faster than the original and costs considerably less. Hope it lasts a few years as I'm really happy with it. It's a higher torque version than the original replacement and you can really tell the difference. I think it spins the engine faster without the compression release than the old one did with the release pulled.

Attachments

• Alternator and starter.JPG
    Alternator and starter.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Masco starter.JPG
    Masco starter.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 210
   / Alternator and starter #3  
Ok so where did you ge tthe starter from, if from an auto parts store, what was the application?

/ Alternator and starter
Ok so where did you ge tthe starter from, if from an auto parts store, what was the application?

I found the starter and alternator surfing the web. The starter is from Masco and the alternator form Compact Tractor Service. Both seemed to have quite a few useful parts for Yanmars.

I had heard some say that there are starters that don't fit or the teeth don't go all the way into the flywheel. I measured the starter gear travel on the new one and it matches the length of the old one so hopefully it meshes completely. I thought about bluing the starter teeth to see if it actually does. One nice thing also about the starter is that you can get a socket on the bolts unlike the old one.

/ Alternator and starter #5  
I had the same issue with my starter, less and less power over the years. Finally it wouldn't crank at all. Inside, the brushes were completely worn out and the contact surfaces pitted from arcing. I was going to buy a new one but took the old one to a rebuild shop. They rebuilt it, put in a new solenoid and bendix gear and it cranks very well now. They actually added a third brush because they thought the original design with just two wasn't so great. The rebuild wasn't cheap but certainly less than a new one.

/ Alternator and starter
I had the same issue with my starter, less and less power over the years. Finally it wouldn't crank at all. Inside, the brushes were completely worn out and the contact surfaces pitted from arcing. I was going to buy a new one but took the old one to a rebuild shop. They rebuilt it, put in a new solenoid and bendix gear and it cranks very well now. They actually added a third brush because they thought the original design with just two wasn't so great. The rebuild wasn't cheap but certainly less than a new one.

Mine has 4 brushes but it was still showing signs of a lot of wear. If you notice in the photos, about 1/8" of the bendix teeth have ground off and and is laying in the bell housing. The solenoid was dragging a little and probably lead to the teeth grinding off over time. There was a lot of buildup in the starter too. It worked better after cleaning and re-grooving the armature but still not as fast as I wanted. The new starter spins the engine like a car starter does. Don't even have to touch the compression release even at 30 degrees.

/ Alternator and starter #7  
This one spins the engine much faster than the original and costs considerably less. ... It's a higher torque version than the original replacement ... I think it spins the engine faster without the compression release than the old one did with the release pulled.
Gary, can you post the source and model # for that?

Is this the standard 15 tooth 1.4kw starter for YM2000 - or something specific to YM1900?

I see an optional 1.8kw starter in the 'Options' section of my (US) YM240 manual but I've never located one.

/ Alternator and starter
Gary, can you post the source and model # for that?

Is this the standard 15 tooth 1.4kw starter for YM2000 - or something specific to YM1900?

I see an optional 1.8kw starter in the 'Options' section of my (US) YM240 manual but I've never located one.

Give me a little bit to figure out how to put a link on here. Not done it before.

/ Alternator and starter #10  
I see three pages for Yanmar. Is there one specific model starter that is the right one for YM1900?