Alternator Problem

/ Alternator Problem #11  
You will get resistance about every 1/8 turn or so, like you said this is the magnets and the design of this little alternator. Your tractor should have the new style alternator I believe. Something must be broken inside and causing a vibration though…. Have you got your new one yet?

/ Alternator Problem
Jon, my local dealer in VA did not have the alternator in stock. Still waiting to pickup when it comes in from Koiti's distribution center.

/ Alternator Problem
Received the new alternator for the tune of $184. Installed and the tractor humms like a champ. No vibration or noise that was experienced with the previous that would end up shear of the mounting bolt. In comparing the old versus the new I believe that I identified the problem. The pully is made up of two halfs that are pinned together by a spring pin (no sure of the proper terminology) The pin either broke or worked its way out, which allow the outmost half of the pulley to rotate freely instead of spinning true with the alternator shaft. I believe this caused all of the excessive vibration due to an out of balance situation. I am going to see about getting it re-pinned and will use as a spare if I have any future issues with the alternator. What a difference it makes to have the luxury of comparing a problematic part to one that is new.

/ Alternator Problem #15  
Snag,

Thanks for posting the follow-up. It may help one of us down the road if something similar happens.

RD

/ Alternator Problem #16  
Yes, thank you for posting the follow up. It always helps others to know the outcomes of posted problems.

I'm glad you got it fixed. It must make you feel much much better.
John