Aluminum Stick welding

/ Aluminum Stick welding #11  
Is Stick welding aluminum the best looking weld in appearance - probably not but your welds do look better than most.

Is stick welding aluminum the ideal process- again probably not but as you have shown it will work in a pinch and your welds look more than adequate for most backyard applications.

Regardless this is by far the cheapest way to weld aluminum since you do not need any special gas or other special accessories and a repairman like me does not necessarily get caught up in looks as I am interested only in if it will work and if it is structurally sound....

Long story short - looks great to me based upon per dollar invested to achieve this result.

Very, very well put. Fits my needs perfectly - for now.

What brand of inverter are you thinking about buying?

Well, I've been looking at Everlast and Longevity. They both have products in the entry level price point and both companies have very nice people in their forums. This forum has some pretty nice people too!

I hope to finalize my decision once I've saved enough - should be within a few weeks (fingers crossed!) I have a small backlog of things I want to do that will allow me to both practice and get some things accomplished. Win win! Cheers.

/ Aluminum Stick welding
I'm not impressed at all with this stuff! Maybe I need to go back to school.:eek:

I did cut the lap joint weld in half. Can't really see much. But the fillet weld is horrible! Only took one blow of a 4-lb hammer to break the top plate off.:thumbdown:

Attachments

• Fillet slag.JPG
    Fillet slag.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 791
  • Fillet.JPG
    Fillet.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 525
  • Clamped.JPG
    Clamped.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Broke.JPG
    Broke.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Lap cut .JPG
    Lap cut .JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 352
   / Aluminum Stick welding
Here's a Tig weld I did when I first got my Dynasty 300, (7-years ago). I can't remember any details, but looks like the top plate in the second picture took several hits.

Attachments

• 90%.jpg
    90%.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,470
  • 90% bent.jpg
    90% bent.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 301
   / Aluminum Stick welding #14  
Wow - lots of porosity in that one!

/ Aluminum Stick welding
Yes, shocking! Maybe it's the base material, I have know idea what type of aluminum it is.

/ Aluminum Stick welding #16  
I'm not impressed at all with this stuff! Maybe I need to go back to school.:eek:

I did cut the lap joint weld in half. Can't really see much. But the fillet weld is horrible! Only took one blow of a 4-lb hammer to break the top plate off.:thumbdown:

Yikes! Fortunately, I don't see a lot of aluminum welding in my future. Will need to keep an eye on this front, though.

/ Aluminum Stick welding #17  
Someone here posted a link to a video of a guy using a torch to weld aluminum just like brazing rods, although he may have been using a propane torch (cant recall, got the CRS syndrome). I cant remember the name of the company now but I contacted them and they sent me a price list of like $45 (?)per pound so I didnt pursue it. No distributorship, direct from them. Maybe someone with good search engine can find the post. The welds looked easy and strong, actually welding up a 1/2" hole in a soda can with them and same with fillet welding plates where the plates were weaker than the weld.
Looked like good stuff but the guy doing it so easily had probably welded a million pounds of the stuff.

/ Aluminum Stick welding
Well, I've been looking at Everlast and Longevity. They both have products in the entry level price point and both companies have very nice people in their forums. This forum has some pretty nice people too!

I hope to finalize my decision once I've saved enough - should be within a few weeks (fingers crossed!) I have a small backlog of things I want to do that will allow me to both practice and get some things accomplished. Win win! Cheers.
If you can possibly swing it, get which ever brand you can afford with adjustable arc force, and hot start. Those two options make life so much easier on a new guy starting out. Maybe if you're lucky you can catch Longevity's first of the month sale and get a Stickweld 250.:thumbsup:

Someone here posted a link to a video of a guy using a torch to weld aluminum just like brazing rods, although he may have been using a propane torch (cant recall, got the CRS syndrome). I cant remember the name of the company now but I contacted them and they sent me a price list of like $45 (?)per pound so I didnt pursue it. No distributorship, direct from them. Maybe someone with good search engine can find the post. The welds looked easy and strong, actually welding up a 1/2" hole in a soda can with them and same with fillet welding plates where the plates were weaker than the weld.
Looked like good stuff but the guy doing it so easily had probably welded a million pounds of the stuff.

Here is a video I found on youtube.

More Aluminum Repair Rods - YouTube

/ Aluminum Stick welding #19  
The Aluminum rods take a fine touch to be sure. I have a buddy that had to use them to weld the local air port beacon light tower supports...It's still going round and round, but he had to get some practice in before he made it a success. It's like trying to shake water out of a garden hose....

As far as the Everlast units go, we have our PowerArc 300 available with adjustable arc force control, and hot start. It'll give plenty of amp adjustabilty. We give everyday discounts to TBN members.

/ Aluminum Stick welding
It's like trying to shake water out of a garden hose....

Yep, that pretty much sums it up!:laughing: It must be my lack of stick welding skills.:eek: I'm more of what you'd call a trigger puller, ever since those dam LN-22s came out I pulled more triggers than burned rod. I need to spend some more time with this aluminum rod, soon as I catch up on my honey do list I'll cut up some more aluminum and get after it.;)