Always carry your phone!!

/ Always carry your phone!! #41  
A few days ago I read the post about keeping your phone. I tend to do that anyway, I'm building a house and constantly waiting for the subs to not return calls.

2 days ago I fell off a ladder. I've got 10 ft walls and I was way up there with osb and all the sudden, boom!

All I felt was my melon getting smacked on the concrete, seeing stars and my ribs aching. I thought it was 911 time for sure.

I was very lucky, my buddy was there, first visit in months. Took a few minutes but alls well.

First thought I had was, OUCH! Second thought was, i'm glad i got my phone.

I try to keep it on me but, thx for the reminder.

Why is it they call ladders widow makers?

I painted houses for about three years when I was in college; I'm very fortunate, having ridden down the side of a house a few times with no injuries to speak of. My only injury (other than sunburn and a burned bun from a thinner soaked rag) was the result of my own stupidity. For reasons I can't recall, I decided to stand on a sawhorse inside of a house instead of using a ladder. Stepping down off the sawhorse, I sprained my ankle big time.

/ Always carry your phone!! #42  
The hardest things on my body other than ladder incidents was jumping down from or off of the backs of trucks and things usually only 3 or 4 feet. It took me 50 years to realize this was hard on the ol' joints and I would be paying a big pain penalty for the rest of my life because of it. Osteoarthritis in back and most joints. My advice to everyone: Climb down, don't Jump down!

/ Always carry your phone!! #43  
We live on 90 acres in the foothills and do not have cell service everywhere - in fact once we are away from the house wifi or cell service is really iffy. So, when I plan to be out on the tractor back in the hills she reminds me to take our walkie-talkie. It works really well - we have tested it from all over in the back of the property calling to and from the house. When I do take it we will always test it somewhere in the back area when I first get back there and find it always works. This is important as I am sometimes gone for hours and frequently with a chainsaw, or working in difficult situations.

They don't cost much and work well, and a nice way to feel safer. We even use them when we are outside working in areas far from the house - the barn, by the pond, etc. Saves a lot of yelling and walking.

/ Always carry your phone!! #44  
The hardest things on my body other than ladder incidents was jumping down from or off of the backs of trucks and things usually only 3 or 4 feet. It took me 50 years to realize this was hard on the ol' joints and I would be paying a big pain penalty for the rest of my life because of it. Osteoarthritis in back and most joints. My advice to everyone: Climb down, don't Jump down!

:) But climbing down off a 3 ft tailgate really makes me feel like an old man. The hop on / hop off is definitely in my past. Jeez.... seems not that long ago I could hop the sides.

/ Always carry your phone!! #45  

I’m still young but my ankle that got broken about 1.5 years ago doesn’t agree with jumping off anything. My between the wheels trailer is about the highest jump I can manage.

/ Always carry your phone!! #46  
:) But climbing down off a 3 ft tailgate really makes me feel like an old man. The hop on / hop off is definitely in my past. Jeez.... seems not that long ago I could hop the sides.

Wait until you have to have a ladder and two strong Grandsons to help you up and down.

/ Always carry your phone!! #47  

Not that long ago, pickup sides were two feet lower than now.

:)

Bruce

/ Always carry your phone!! #48  
Not that long ago, pickup sides were two feet lower than now.

:)

Bruce

Thanks for that, makes me feel a wee bit better.
I have an early version of the Toyota Tundra, before the supersizing. I am keeping it as long as possible due to its nimble size & height. Dang the current Tacoma is bigger.

/ Always carry your phone!! #49  
We had an incident recently where someone up a ladder came a gutser when he fell off and injured himself, he had an iphone which detected an impact and called an emergency number and he was found within minutes, I do not use an iphone and had no idea that they had this function, my galaxy doesn't.

/ Always carry your phone!! #50  
We had an incident recently where someone up a ladder came a gutser when he fell off and injured himself, he had an iphone which detected an impact and called an emergency number and he was found within minutes, I do not use an iphone and had no idea that they had this function, my galaxy doesn't.

The iPhone fall detection is available on iPhone watches from what I gathered from surfing my iPhone.