Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #41  
I responded not as an attack on capitalism but more from the thought of missed opertunities through the years. I only buy from Craigslist rarely, and I'm one of the low ballers, BUT I offer what something is worth to ME, 6 ft frontier BB, Ill give you $190 (sure in its condition it was worth $500, but not to me), Ford 917f flail mower, I got $150 if you'll take it. I don't resell, because I don't like dealing with the BS and risking getting my very limited funds stuck in something I can't liquidate.

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #42  
So, if you saw something on CL that you didn't need, but you knew was worth 5x what the listing price is, you wouldn't spend $20 on it to sell for $100?

I don't see any issues with doing that. If it was worth $xx to the original seller, and he got $xx-$50 and was happy, so why should he care? The second buyer sees it may be worth more and can make a buck, so he lists it at $yy. He is putting his money at risk to make a buck or two.

I actually did this with a brush hog I bought. I bought it back in Oct/Nov for $350. I uesd it for 4 months, and all I did to it (other than use it) was sharpen a blade (I could only get one off). I bought a bigger tractor, so wanted a bigger hog. I advertised my old one for $650 and ended up selling it for $575. I was just more patient than the person I bought it from and held out for more $$. Nothing wrong with that...free market as another poster put it.

Timing has a lot to do with the selling price of almost anything. Something today may be 'worth' $xx but next week the demand changes and the same thing may be 'worth' more, or less, depending on the market at that time. You can win some, lose some.

I just cant get used to the idea that someone who puts his time and money at risk shouldn't have that chance to make a few bucks.

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #43  
two_bit_score said:
Timing has a lot to do with the selling price of almost anything. Something today may be 'worth' $xx but next week the demand changes and the same thing may be 'worth' more, or less, depending on the market at that time. You can win some, lose some.

I just cant get used to the idea that someone who puts his time and money at risk shouldn't have that chance to make a few bucks.

A huge factor is the sellers motivations, is he just feeling out the market, selling it so he can make a mortgage payment, or does he think his stuff is ultrarare rusted gold.

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #44  

Agreed!

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #45  
A huge factor is the sellers motivations, is he just feeling out the market, selling it so he can make a mortgage payment, or does he think his stuff is ultrarare rusted gold.

Exactly! So, if he needs the money and he gets it. Nothing wrong if the buyer can get his money back plus some for risk and trouble.

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #46  
what if I buy something and someone offers me twice what I paid for it? and I sell it to him
should I give the difference to the guy I bought it from? I don't think so
he should have taken the time and research it and like he did ask on this forum what its worth, but not after he has it listed
looks like he was just trying to post it here as to maybe see if someone here wants to buy it

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #47  
Let's all keep in mind that the buyer/reseller may also be spitting in the wind with his asking price. Maybe the OP's price was actually fair market value, and the reseller is going to be still holding it six months later, crying in his beer about how much he spent on this darn trailer that he can't get his money out of. Heck, maybe the OP's price was actually high and the buyer/resller was dumb for accepting it. We just don't know, and that's the nature of buying and selling.

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer
Wow, this thread sure took a turn didn't it? I really don't mind if the guy makes a little money on the trailer. I have bought things before and resold them at a profit. As far as this particular deal, he drove about 40 miles, spent nearly an hour at my house (his wiring connection wasn't right and I fixed it for him) and then he pulled it 40 miles home. Overall, he isn't going to get rich on deals like that. I think my price was reasonable for a fixer upper with a dump mechanism on it.

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #49  
yea, the thread really took a turn. I think some people are reading too much into the situation.

Sometimes I buy things just to re-sell. Whats wrong with that. If I feel I can make enough profit to be worth the risk, why not. sometimes its as simple as taking a picture if the first seller didnt, or the pic was crappy.

In this guys case, I doubt he gets the $1500. And even if he does, it isnt too huge of a mark-up. And IMO, whatever he gets, if it is a profit, is worth it for having his capital tied up for however long it takes to sell.

/ Am I asking a reasonable price for this trailer #50  
thats what I'm saying
RoMad got what he felt he needed out of it
so why bash the guy who tries to resell it