am I hurting my tractor?

/ am I hurting my tractor? #1  

barneyZ

Hi all.
I'm using my bx2350 to install a sprinkler system. I am using a subsoiler to 'plow' ditches for the pipes. this time of year, the soil is about 2" of dust over very hardpack. In order to plow through without spinning the tires, I am putting the tractor in high range. when I hit a particularly hard spot, the tractor comes to a complete stop, bogging down the engine. I then back up a few feet and take a run at it. usually, one or two hits will break the section loose. this usually happens every 5 or 10 feet. with probably 500' of pipe to lay, I'm worried that this is abusing the tractor.

is this continuous heavy load on the tractor a bad thing? I'm most concerned about either the engine or hydraulics.

thanks in advance,
Barney

/ am I hurting my tractor? #2  
How fast are you going and how fast does it stop? Is it snap-your-head fast? My first thought would be bending stuff - the implement, maybe the lift arms. Doesn't sound like much fun.

-Brian

/ am I hurting my tractor? #3  
Couldn't you accomplish the same thing in a lower gear, hit the clutch when you start to spin, back up and hit 'er again? That might help avoid the stress on the tractor bogging down in a higher gear.

/ am I hurting my tractor? #4  
IMHO.. I wouldn't use a high range to plow.. I'd use a low range..

soundguy

/ am I hurting my tractor? #5  
There's a fine line between squeezing every once of use out of your tractor and abuse. Where is that line? Obviously when you start breaking stuff. Just before that happens, there's excessive wear which, although not good, is part of the deal. It's not a baby so I work mine to extremes. I figure if stuff wears or breaks, I'll fix it. But I will not baby my tractor.

It is probably worse to bog the engine than anything else. That's where a bunch of money is if repair is needed there. So use lower gears for sure. Put the stress where it can be taken best.

Another way of looking at it is using a tool or your tractor for what it's designed to do. If your stressing it by using it for what it's not designed, that might be abuse. Otherwise,... it's a tool. Use it within the design limits, but to the max of that limit. IMO, Nothing lasts forever. At least that's the way I look at using my tools. Repairs or buying new when it's time is also part of the deal, right?

I might get a lot of flack for what I said, and others may disagree, but that's what I do.

/ am I hurting my tractor? #6  
SIR,
your bx is not exactly the perfect machine for this operation.
have you tried taking small bites? try making several passes
with the subsoiler, going deeper each time, but in low range,
and see if this works.
good luck.
accordionman
wlbrown

/ am I hurting my tractor? #7  
Ouch!

I have used my NH TC30 for much the same purpose, except I was installing an underground dog fence and using a middle buster. However, my machine had the guts to steadily pull the middle buster through the ground, even tho' like you, my ground was just shy of being natural concrete.

Since I do not own nor have I operated a BX2350 I cannot offer you conclusive advice, but .... I'd say you are asking too much from your machine and you'll pay the price sooner of later.

If you are determined to bury your pipe using your machine I suggest you either take the one bite at a time advice of accordionman or try a middle buster instead of the subsoiler, or even better, the middle buster one bite at a time.

/ am I hurting my tractor? #8  
Barney:

Welcome to TBM :D! As 3RRL points out there is a fine line between tool use and abuse. It is usually considered to be abuse after things start to break :eek:. I agree with all the cautionary posts and suggest that you try the suggestions of accordianman and VAChesterfield. Use your tractor safely and well and keep the posts coming- Jay :)

/ am I hurting my tractor? #9  
I'd try taking shallower bites and make several passes. It is a pretty bad idea to really bog the engine down and I expect you would break something eventually ramming the subsoiler around.

/ am I hurting my tractor? #10  
Agree with Grrr... Put the HST in low and raise up the soiler a little for a smaller bite. You'll get a smoother trench and won't be bogging the engine, either. You should probably have the RPMs up around 2K, also...

The 2350 will do the job, but you need to be smart about it and work a little slower through the concreted clay. My 2305 is the same way.