Amish farm in Kentucky

/ Amish farm in Kentucky #11  
BTDT said:
Here are some pics we snapped while visiting my sister-in-laws relatives in Kentucky. We heard there were Amish folks in this part of the area, so they took us for a drive out in the country. Beautiful, peaceful, simple. You will have to hit the rotate button to get pictures landscape position for easy viewing, sorry, enjoy.
We have a place they call Amish Country about a 2 hour drive up I 77 from us.
It's at Walnet Creek in Holmes County Ohio.

/ Amish farm in Kentucky #12  
Where abouts in Kentucky? I'm just north of Bardstown, where Bullitt County/Nelson County/Spencer county all come together. There are a few Amish, and a good many Mennonites just south of us. The terrain obviously isn't where I'm at. (Too much flat land in those pictures for here)

The wife and I travel up into Indiana and Ohio's Amish settlements a couple times a year. I'll never forget my first experience with them. I was looking for an auction site. I followed a horse and buggy down a gravel road. The Amish farmer turned off the road, parked his rig, then climbed into the cab of a 1/4 million dollar combine.

On another occasion, we were driving through the middle of Indiana when we came upon an Amishman plowing with a team of horses. Against my wifes wishes, I stopped, got out and watched. When he worked his way over to the edge of the field where we were at, he stopped to talk a few minutes. He could probably see the look in my eyes. I wanted a try at plowing the old fashioned way. I got my chance. I made a couple passes each way, then turned the reigns back over to the "expert". It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. The old Amishman sure made it look easy though. (Bet he had a time straightening out the s-curves I made in his plowed field ;) )

Back in my dirt bike racing days, and even before that, while I was in the Army, I spent entirely too much time far away from home. Nowdays when we go "on vacation", it's generally with-in a 250 mile radius. That's the bueaty of this big country of ours. You don't have to look far to find some of the most breathtaking sights on the planet.

/ Amish farm in Kentucky #13  
Most home gardens pale when compared to an Amish kitchen garden. Mine sure does!

/ Amish farm in Kentucky #14  
Afternoon Mike,
Very nice pics ! I find that I have to double click and they seem to take a bit longer to come up, but worth the wait !

Definitely a simpler time ! :)

/ Amish farm in Kentucky
Farmwithjunk said:
Where abouts in Kentucky? I'm just north of Bardstown, where Bullitt County/Nelson County/Spencer county all come together. There are a few Amish, and a good many Mennonites just south of us. The terrain obviously isn't where I'm at. (Too much flat land in those pictures for here)

The wife and I travel up into Indiana and Ohio's Amish settlements a couple times a year. I'll never forget my first experience with them. I was looking for an auction site. I followed a horse and buggy down a gravel road. The Amish farmer turned off the road, parked his rig, then climbed into the cab of a 1/4 million dollar combine.

On another occasion, we were driving through the middle of Indiana when we came upon an Amishman plowing with a team of horses. Against my wifes wishes, I stopped, got out and watched. When he worked his way over to the edge of the field where we were at, he stopped to talk a few minutes. He could probably see the look in my eyes. I wanted a try at plowing the old fashioned way. I got my chance. I made a couple passes each way, then turned the reigns back over to the "expert". It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. The old Amishman sure made it look easy though. (Bet he had a time straightening out the s-curves I made in his plowed field ;) )

Back in my dirt bike racing days, and even before that, while I was in the Army, I spent entirely too much time far away from home. Nowdays when we go "on vacation", it's generally with-in a 250 mile radius. That's the bueaty of this big country of ours. You don't have to look far to find some of the most breathtaking sights on the planet.

Near Madisonville. My sister in law is from a town called Clay, in Webster county, I think. Her brother (the one we stayed with on this trip) was from Madisonville.

/ Amish farm in Kentucky #16  
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I must admit when I read the heading I thought it would be a derogatory post about hillbillies! Here in Ohio, Kentucky is the but(t) of a lot of jokes. Nothing against KY folks, don't mean to offend.

In our immediate area we have a lot of German Baptists. Similar to Amish but they embrace vehicles...they just disconnect the radios. Good people.