Amish riding mower

/ Amish riding mower #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I saw a sickle bar mower the other day.. looks like it was setup for horses.. etc.. had a pan seat and all.. and was rear wheel driven.. etc.
Soundguy)</font>

Was it like this in the attached picture? Horse mower can mow the mountain where your so-called modern tractor mower can't enter.

Attachments

• 472449-horsemowersmall.jpg
    472449-horsemowersmall.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 367
   / Amish riding mower #12  
Well.. it wasn't as nice as those are.. but it was the same principle.. rear wheels turned a gearbox which in turn powered the sicklebar.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Amish riding mower #13  
the amish use those old riding sickel bar mowers around here all the time. even the wheat bundeling machines are nearly identical but with a catch platform and small 24" conveyor which pulls it all to one end and lines it all up for pileing winding and stacking in the nice litle duch piles you see allong side the roads in amish areas.

they use them to do hat, with here, then use a big old rake to row it up and then this contraption which looks like a military climbing wall which has conveyor fingers to raise it up to about 10~15' high and dumps it onto a slide which drops it into a hay wagon, wheere 3 or 4 small kids will pitch fork it into a giant pile and stand on pile getting it higher, (most will go to about 20 feet high and around over the wagon!. kids stay there ride back to barn then pitch fork it into 2n't floor barn window where more kids pile and pack it for winter feed/bedding... yep about the only kids that are not affraid to work now adays are the amish ones, but then the child support agency does not get involved in amish affairs!!! todays kids for the "English" are about 98% useless! (yes even the ones in my family /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) Not to mention the fact that I have yet to meet one which has enough common since to stay out of the way of a car driving down the road...

nearly hit 3 or 4 a week cause they want to play chicken with my truck! needless to say many of them learn that my mirrors can get much closer than they think. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (no I wouldn't want to hit any but when they walk the center of the street and ignore the sidewalk 20' away then they should be removed from the human gean pool before it becomes too stagnante! ) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also keep good insurance lol

Mark M

/ Amish riding mower #14  
The climbing wall contraption is called a "hay loader".

/ Amish riding mower #15  
All this talk reminds me of the movie "Witness" (1985) with Harrison Ford. One of the best movies I have ever seen. Sometimes I wish I were Amish. I have nothing against modern technology, but I like being strong and self reliant. Hey, Amish cooking looks good, too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Amish riding mower #16  
Yep; the Amish really deserve alot of credit whether you understand them or not. How many of us are that dedicated to anything? They still believe that Sunday is a holy day, and no work is to be done. I've nothing but respect for that group.

And the cooking isn't good, it's GREAT! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Amish riding mower #17  
sometimes the food is good, just don't take too close a ook at the preperation area and kitchen or the cooks feet /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

and also stay UP WIND case even the good cooking smell can't cover up the other oders eminating! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

mark m

/ Amish riding mower #18  
Even if I don't agree with all of their beliefs, I still have to respect people who live what they believe when it would be so much easier to just go with the flow and fit in. I've lived around Amish most of my life, but I still enjoy looking at a well tended Amish farm being worked with horses.

I still can't figure out the tourists flocking to the Amish restaurants around here, though. The food is good, but it's mostly the same things I make as the firehouse cook or at home. If I'm going to spend money to go out to eat, I want something that isn't what I usually eat. I guess for a lot of the city folks that come out as tourists, simple home-cooked food isn't what they usually eat...

/ Amish riding mower #19  
I know what you mean neighbor. The other day I saw a horse pulling a gang of those roller blades.

/ Amish riding mower #20  
I am in pre-production on a movie set in 1867. We need to have two mule-drawn sickle bar mowers in the hay-cutting sequences. We may have to build them from scratch or modify some of later vintage by adding wooden wheels. It is my understanding the basic design did not change much from the earlier designs. I don't have a photo of a post-civil war mower. If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate a reply. Thanks, Randy