AMSOIL GHD ?

/ AMSOIL GHD ? #1  

TWD

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
What's everyone's thought on Amsoil GHD (HD Grease) ?
AMSOIL - Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease (GHD)

Is there something better (similar cost or less) for FEL/BH and general use on tractor and other things requiring grease ??

I prefer to spend more for quality, but don't want to pay more if I don't have too :laughing:

/ AMSOIL GHD ? #2  
The ideal grease for a loader is a grease fortified with moly, as I believe it's sticks better to the parts it's greasing. That said, any grease is better than no grease, and I know a lot of people on here use greases fortified without moly and they just grease more often. I know I'm one of those people and haven't had any issues. It's easier to just have one grease to use on everything as I don't think moly grease is recommended for suspension and driveline parts on cars and such, or I could be wrong. If you want a moly grease than I would look at the Amsoil SP Off Road grease, but that HD grease you mentioned will be perfectly fine.

Here is a chart I go by to figure out which grease is the best for my application:

Eventually I think I'll be switching to the Amsoil 2000 synthetic racing grease because it seems to have the best life expectancy in high heat applications, such as wheel bearings. Though it's water washout rating is low, I don't think it will be an issue unless heavily off roading through pools of water or mud. I'll have to cross reference it with the grease I currently use, Valvoline Multi-Purpose.

/ AMSOIL GHD ? #3  
What's everyone's thought on Amsoil GHD (HD Grease) ?
AMSOIL - Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease (GHD)

Is there something better (similar cost or less) for FEL/BH and general use on tractor and other things requiring grease ??

I prefer to spend more for quality, but don't want to pay more if I don't have too :laughing:

I have a good friend in West Kentucky that has chicken houses and spreads lots of chicken litter. He uses a Case skid steer to load the spreader trucks. He called me back in Feb. asking about grease. He was having to grease the pins on the bucket every 4 hours. The pins would start making a noise after that and some times he'd have to drive the pins out and clean out the grease ports in the pins. I sent him a 10 tube case of Amsoil SP Off Road grease. He now greases every 15-18 hours. Go to the Amsoil site and watch the video for their off road grease. The grease works great if you're having beatout problems like he did with the loader pins. He told me even with the higher priced grease it cost him less than it did with a regular tube grease because it'll last longer. He is very happy with it and started using the grease in other applications on the struck spreader as well.

As much litter as he spreads I thought he'd be a good test. It worked out well.

/ AMSOIL GHD ? #4  
fyi

Question:
With the Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease added to the AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Grease line, what will happen to AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy‐Duty Greases (GHB/GHD)?
Answer: Once the AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric line is expanded to include AMSOIL Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Greases (GHB/GHD) will be discontinued.

Question:
Once AMSOIL GHB/GHD grease becomes obsolete, what can be used in off‐road, heavy equipment applications?
Answer:
The primary heavy equipment recommendations will be GPOR1 and GPOR2, depending on ambient operating temperature. These greases provide significant benefits in their intended applications and, in addition, provide extended service benefits and better overall value. If the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) does not specify a molybdenum disulfide (moly) requirement, GPTR is an excellent product recommendation.

Question:
Once AMSOIL GHB/GHD grease becomes obsolete, what can be used in heavy‐duty, on‐road trucks?
Answer:
The primary recommendation for heavy‐duty, on‐road applications will be AMSOIL Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease (GPTR1 and GPTR2). GPTR is designed specifically for this application and offers excellent protection and performance benefits.

/ AMSOIL GHD ? #5  
You are over thinking the problem. For the way we use our tractors Molly grease is more than adequate. Molly grease sticks, i have not greased my FEL all week and the pivots were not dry. Yes there is extra protection, but you should be giving all the pivots a daily greasing, and no need for anything else.

/ AMSOIL GHD ?
The GHD is MOLY.

But if they are going to stop making it, I`m going to look at something different :D from AMSOIL or someone else online.

Living an hour+ from Wal-Mart, and tractor supply stores I prefer to find good deals on quality items online. Often times saving money with Amazon FREE shipping :D

/ AMSOIL GHD ? #7  
I bought a case of this after I brought my M8540 home: Texas Refinery Corp. Specialty Lubricants and Greases TRC That stuff is like 6 or 7 dollars a tube. Got a case of 50 tubes (I think) which should last me a while. :D It sounds expensive, however if it prevents wear it is worth it. The premium cost above the normal stuff is much cheaper that a FEL component that is worn.

The moly grease if great for suspension components, however it is not suited for bearings and/or other potential high-temp items because it runs off. There are other greases fine for that.

ALL the zerks on my tractor get the moly. All my other equipments gets wal-mart grease. Your mower deck spindles/bearings will want a bearing type grease as well.

There might be some moly based bearing suitable greases out there... but I haven't looked for one.

/ AMSOIL GHD ?
I have a good friend in West Kentucky that has chicken houses and spreads lots of chicken litter. He uses a Case skid steer to load the spreader trucks. He called me back in Feb. asking about grease. He was having to grease the pins on the bucket every 4 hours. The pins would start making a noise after that and some times he'd have to drive the pins out and clean out the grease ports in the pins. I sent him a 10 tube case of Amsoil SP Off Road grease. He now greases every 15-18 hours. Go to the Amsoil site and watch the video for their off road grease. The grease works great if you're having beatout problems like he did with the loader pins. He told me even with the higher priced grease it cost him less than it did with a regular tube grease because it'll last longer. He is very happy with it and started using the grease in other applications on the struck spreader as well.

As much litter as he spreads I thought he'd be a good test. It worked out well.

AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease - NLGI #2

What you sent him?

How do you know if you want #1 or #2 :confused:

The difference I see is the Penetration TEMP, and Timken OK Load Test, lbs.

/ AMSOIL GHD ? #9  
AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease - NLGI #2

What you sent him?

How do you know if you want #1 or #2 :confused:

The difference I see is the Penetration TEMP, and Timken OK Load Test, lbs.

I sent nlgi #1. He lives in west Kentucky and spreads litter in the winter months mostly. For his problem heat wasn't an issue and usage in winter you want the grease to still move in the joints. Beat out was the problem and once the grease was gone the litter worked it's way in those joints. This is broiler litter and can be like a dust in places in the piles. I've seen truck radiators get stopped up with litter dust just to give you an idea how fine it can be.