AMSOILOIL FILTER

/ AMSOILOIL FILTER #1  

gordon

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4310hst-loader-hydraulic top link
I have been surfing the Amsoil site and going thru the pro's and con's of the fake versus dino. But my question is this on their site they have a bypass filter system now if this was used with regular oil wouldn't the change intervals be longer? Don't the filter manufacturers make the filter media to hold up just long enough for the suggested oil changes using regular oil? If you used a Amsoil filter instead of a AC-filter with the Amsoil filter being listed the better filter on their page wouldn't the change interval be longer for regular oil? I guess I'm comparing this to light bulbs in a way they can build a light bulb that would last forever but then all the bulb makers would go out of business.
What exactly happens to dino oil does it wear out or do the additives added to it wear out. I'm totally confused on this matter. Thanks for any help Gordon

/ AMSOILOIL FILTER #2  
Hi Gordon
I would say the fake oil would have the same additives as dino oil so the additives should not be brakeing down .As oil dose a few other things not just a lube ie cooling and cleaning carbon from parts ,the main thing that wears out oil i would say is carbon and stuff being carried in the oil if ya can take out more of that kind of stuff ,ya oil would last longer i know of one brand of tractor that uses the same motor in a older model as there new one the diff being a newer filter the new model has a 500 Hr change Vs old one at 250 Hrs I have been told if ya put the new filter on the old model ya can take it out to 500 Hr changes,, so the finer or better make up of filter the longer drain time
catch ya
JD Kid

/ AMSOILOIL FILTER #3  
Better filtration will help, but there's a lot more involved. One issue is additive packages. The cheaper oils use lower quality additive packages and they wear out very rapidly. The additive packages that break down most rapidly are the viscosity improvers and synthetics need far less of them than petroleum oi does. Some synthetics don't contain any viscosity improvers. Another issue is the nature of petroleum itself. It's prone to evaporation, which changes the viscosity over time. In short petroleum simply wears out a lot faster than synthetic. But no oil is worth five cents if you don't keep it clean.