An eBay question

/ An eBay question #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
Lately I've been looking for 40-50 hp Massey Ferguson and John Deere tractors, 1960s vintage.

I thought I would be able to find a bunch of them in my Northern CA neighborhood for sale on eBay. Thought that would be a good way to gauge the selling prices.

Funny thing. Couldn't find one MF or JD tractor listed on eBay as located in CA. Lotsa listings from Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma and East of that line. Nothing West of that line.

Seems strange to me because there're tons of JD iron here in the North Valley. And several tractor dealers told me that there're lotsa MF 100 series tractors up here.

Any thoughts on this? Is there some weird CA regulation that prevents CA tractors from being auctioned on eBay?

/ An eBay question
Lately I've been looking for 40-50 hp Massey Ferguson and John Deere tractors, 1960s vintage.

I thought I would be able to find a bunch of them in my Northern CA neighborhood for sale on eBay. Thought that would be a good way to gauge the selling prices.

Funny thing. Couldn't find one MF or JD tractor listed on eBay as located in CA. Lotsa listings from Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma and East of that line. Nothing West of that line.

Seems strange to me because there're tons of JD iron here in the North Valley. And several tractor dealers told me that there're lotsa MF 100 series tractors up here.

Any thoughts on this? Is there some weird CA regulation that prevents CA tractors from being auctioned on eBay?

/ An eBay question #3  
Maybe the scammers that seem to be so prevalent in the tractor section of Ebay are able to have their "items" only show up in areas far from home so you won't find it easy to drive to them and check it out in person.

/ An eBay question #4  
Maybe the scammers that seem to be so prevalent in the tractor section of Ebay are able to have their "items" only show up in areas far from home so you won't find it easy to drive to them and check it out in person.

/ An eBay question #5  
Just the luck of the draw, I guess. I'm in Texas and have been looking for an older cub cadet or JD lawn tractor and they are all in the NE.

Bruce

/ An eBay question #6  
Just the luck of the draw, I guess. I'm in Texas and have been looking for an older cub cadet or JD lawn tractor and they are all in the NE.

Bruce

/ An eBay question #7  
I think Bruce has it right, purely coincidental would be my guess. When I was looking for a metal lathe at eBay all of them seemed to be out in California and and since I'm in Ohio no way was I paying shipping. I kept watching and finally 3 reared their heads within a 100 mile radius of my home base. I would suggest that you keep your hopes up and keep searching, sooner or later you'll make a deal.

/ An eBay question #8  
I think Bruce has it right, purely coincidental would be my guess. When I was looking for a metal lathe at eBay all of them seemed to be out in California and and since I'm in Ohio no way was I paying shipping. I kept watching and finally 3 reared their heads within a 100 mile radius of my home base. I would suggest that you keep your hopes up and keep searching, sooner or later you'll make a deal.

/ An eBay question #9  
I would suggest that you check out Machine Finder. Several years ago , when I was looking for my Cub, I found it there. And don't be afraid to look at machines that are not local to you. I got a quote of $22K for a new CC 7360 from the local dealer, and found one with only 92 hours at a JD dealer in Alabama. With the $1000 to ship it to New Hampshire, I only paid $14k. Well worth the 6 months I spent looking.

/ An eBay question #10  
I would suggest that you check out Machine Finder. Several years ago , when I was looking for my Cub, I found it there. And don't be afraid to look at machines that are not local to you. I got a quote of $22K for a new CC 7360 from the local dealer, and found one with only 92 hours at a JD dealer in Alabama. With the $1000 to ship it to New Hampshire, I only paid $14k. Well worth the 6 months I spent looking.