An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #391  
If there was an internet during the horse and buggy days I can imagine the same conversations taken place (An Automobile?) when the automobile started to replace the horse. Many businesses dependent upon horses went out of business in a short amount of time. Somehow the country kept on progressing.
So this is an example of Trad having 21 people on ignore and missing this discussion about how horse and buggy change over to cars occurred based on the merits and costs of cars versus a horse. The car buyers were not given tax giveaways to buy, and the horses did not need to be hobbled and run on 3 legs so that cars could take over roads. ( carbon taxes and other gov motives to keep gas expensive is hobbling ICE)

/ An EV??????` #392  
No more excuses of "There's no where to charge on a trip". ;)

My electric rate is .13 cents/kWh. Doesn't fluctuate like fuel prices and I can charge at home. Really is a no brainer to own an EV, IF you can charge at home.
There is nowhere to charge anywhere near us. I mean within 20 miles that I am aware of. The Texas power grid is so under powered with all the people moving here and no new power plants being built. A number of coal powered plants have been shut down. We only seem to be getting new wind and solar installations. ERCOT has already started their conserve energy pitch, and it hasn't even gotten hot yet. What will happen if they replace just 10 percent of ICE vehicles with EVs? I know what will happen, power outages and rolling blackouts when it gets hot or cold. I'm considering a backup whole house generator. Should they force everyone to install wind and solar to charge their EVs? That might be the only way to prevent a grid failure in Texas if this insanity continues. Oh and see what the kWh rate goes to when the grid doesn't have enough power like the winter storm we had a few years ago. Then tell me the prices is stable. I'm not completely against EVs. If they would make them more efficient to get longer range and use less energy instead of trying to scream about 0 to 60 times compared ICE vehicles they would cost much less and be a more viable option for way more people.

/ An EV??????` #393  
Well obviously they would not place a charging station where there is not a grid supply,
at least not yet.

Tesla could put large solar canopies up and c install back up storage (virtual grid) on site as well if the grid loads need to be spread out.
Texas and Australia are beginning to show of how successful these back up systems can be at balancing Grid load and improving resistance to brown outs. Now they are also including homeowners as well if they want to participate with power walls.

I am sure they (Tesla) models grid load at a possible location as they even have grid optimizing programs, just like SpaceX does with their projects.

There are advantages, to having some of the most capable supercomputers on the planet.
Successful? Why does ERCOT in Texas always start telling us to conserve energy? Gee it's cloudy today and the wind isn't blowing and only 5 million people moved here since our last fossil fuel or nuclear power plants were built. They worry every time it gets hot now. The conserve energy warnings are coming at lower and lower temps even before summer is here. Explain to me how this is working? I'm not saying storing energy can't work, but we are far from it working in Texas.

/ An EV??????` #394  
I just bought an ev. Yesterday. It should be here in 2 weeks. It has a 360 mile range, and I only plan to charge at home. It's not my only vehicle. A full charge on a public high speed charging station for 360 miles is $25. To do it at home from a grid is $12. But I'm putting up solar to charge, so it will be free.

I didn't plan on buying an EV, I was actually about to buy a range rover. However, Fisker automotive put their 2023 models on sale for 40% off, so it went from $62k to $37k, a significant price slash. So I looked into them, and found them to be pretty decent, especially for the discounted price. I also got the tow package as well. It has 576hp, so that's plenty of power as well.

/ An EV??????` #395  
I just bought an ev. Yesterday. It should be here in 2 weeks. It has a 360 mile range, and I only plan to charge at home. It's not my only vehicle. A full charge on a public high speed charging station for 360 miles is $25. To do it at home from a grid is $12. But I'm putting up solar to charge, so it will be free.

I didn't plan on buying an EV, I was actually about to buy a range rover. However, Fisker automotive put their 2023 models on sale for 40% off, so it went from $62k to $37k, a significant price slash. So I looked into them, and found them to be pretty decent, especially for the discounted price. I also got the tow package as well. It has 576hp, so that's plenty of power as well.
Good deal. EVs work for some people and that deal sounds like it may save you some money over the long term. I live too far from everything to make an EV practical. As I have said before EVs are good in certain situations.

/ An EV??????` #396  
Which is one reason we won't see any along the roads here for the foreseeable future.

Wyoming or Montana by chance?
I don't disagree we ( family members) have several acres south of Jackson Hole and I don't know if I could take the Model Y there and back. I did figure that we could all take motorcycles though need to plug in the address in the car and see what it lays out for charging.
Even if I could it is bordered on 3 sides with Forest service land so We would take something with ground clearance 4x4 and range.

There is nowhere to charge anywhere near us. I mean within 20 miles that I am aware of. The Texas power grid is so under powered with all the people moving here and no new power plants being built. A number of coal powered plants have been shut down. We only seem to be getting new wind and solar installations. ERCOT has already started their conserve energy pitch, and it hasn't even gotten hot yet. What will happen if they replace just 10 percent of ICE vehicles with EVs? I know what will happen, power outages and rolling blackouts when it gets hot or cold. I'm considering a backup whole house generator. Should they force everyone to install wind and solar to charge their EVs? That might be the only way to prevent a grid failure in Texas if this insanity continues. Oh and see what the kWh rate goes to when the grid doesn't have enough power like the winter storm we had a few years ago. Then tell me the prices is stable. I'm not completely against EVs. If they would make them more efficient to get longer range and use less energy instead of trying to scream about 0 to 60 times compared ICE vehicles they would cost much less and be a more viable option for way more people.

I understand that most Texan's like being independent BUT, completely severing their grid by choice, from the rest of the USA ...
Must cause huge price spikes in an emergency

Should they need power in an emergency like when people are actually freezing to death, because systems failed from cold makes me scratch my head. UIAM They had the option to install heating for the Natural gas generation plants that froze and wind turbines but Chose not to spend the money because Texas Never gets that cold.

Shouldn't they be building more Natural gas fired generation plants??

Some Tesla owners are backing up the grid against black outs with the Powerwall virtual power stations already.

Glad we live where Hydroelectric is the main source of Grid power and Co- Operative pricing is somewhat regulated.

I agree with you on having back up power, Need to address that to a greater degree myself.

Last edited:
   / An EV??????` #397  
He is just singing the song he has been taught to sing.You have to feel for him.
Nope I am not singing anyone's song or parroting anyone's propaganda. My father told me he was not working his ass off to send me to school to study women and drink liquor and beer. He was sending me to school to learn how to access all available information on a topic and make a decision based on something besides local beer hall rumors.

A lot of drum beating is currently going on over the decline in EV sales. Both Japan and China companies currently are building plants in the US to produce EV Batteries which give over 700 miles on a full charge. In my opinion one would be foolish to purchase a EV today and not wait until 25-26 when the 700 plus miles EV's are supposed to be available.

What is the range of the Toyota battery?

"Toyota boasts new battery technology with 745-mile range and 10-minute charging time — here's how it may impact mass EV adoption."

Last edited:
   / An EV??????` #398  
Nope I am not singing anyone's song or parroting anyone's propaganda. My father told me he was not working his ass off to send me to school to study women and drink liquor and beer. He was sending me to school to learn how to access all available information on a topic and make a decision based on something besides local beer hall rumors.
And whose song are the schools singing?

/ An EV??????` #400  
Wyoming or Montana by chance?
I don't disagree we ( family members) have several acres south of Jackson Hole and I don't know if I could take the Model Y there and back. I did figure that we could all take motorcycles though need to plug in the address in the car and see what it lays out for charging.
Even if I could it is bordered on 3 sides with Forest service land so We would take something with ground clearance 4x4 and range.

I understand that most Texan's like being independent BUT, completely severing their grid by choice, from the rest of the USA ...
Must cause huge price spikes in an emergency

Should they need power in an emergency like when people are actually freezing to death, because systems failed from cold makes me scratch my head. UIAM They had the option to install heating for the Natural gas generation plants that froze and wind turbines but Chose not to spend the money because Texas Never gets that cold.

Some Tesla owners are backing up the grid against black outs with the Powerwall virtual power stations already.

Glad we live where Hydroelectric is the main source of Grid power and Co- Operative pricing is somewhat regulated.

I agree with you on having back up power, Need to address that to a greater degree myself.
The freezing temps causing issues was a failure of ERCOT to hold power plants accountable. They were assured the plants were ready for bad weather, but it was proven they were not. I've lived in Texas since 68, and I have seen numerous times where we had cold wether for more than a few days. Just becaue it doesn't happen every year doesn't mean it won't. Global warming er climate change has not fixed that problem yet. This has more to do with an agency that was set up to ensure we have adequate power not doing it's job than with being independent. We still do not have enough generating capacity if we get another freeze or cloudy not windy days that disrupts the solar and wind power generation. One of the biggest problems has been the lack of power lines to carry all that power from where the turbines and solar panels are to where the power is needed. Connecting to another state's grid doesn't fix that without more power lines. ERCOT seems to me to be failing to plan for the massive population growth we have. That is what has me more concerned than anything. I don't want to lose power when it is 100 plus degrees here. Sometimes it is 90 at midnight in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.