An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #12  
By yourself an EV Hummer and make sure you got a good tow truck guy in your phone, you’re gonna need it.
I've looked at them. They don't fit in the budget, or really fit my needs now.

People don't just run out of juice with their EV, just like people learn not to run out of gas with their gas or diesel powered vehicles (especially with the modern nag electronics).

I do have a very old EV Transit Connect. It does pretty well, although factory new its range was limited. It did die once on me. Apparently everything goes haywire if the 12V goes dead, even though it has a good DC-DC converter.

Anyway, the Silverado WT EV looks appealing, and does about 450 miles per charge. I don't think I could drive anywhere 450 miles without taking a half hour break before getting back on the road. Even with a gas vehicle, there would be a gas stop, restroom break, and snack stop eating up at least that half hour that the EV might need to recharge. Towing range is undoubtedly reduced, but still would be good enough for most of what I would tow.

Let me know if there is a hail storm hitting a midwest Chevy dealership with one of those sitting out on the lot!!!

/ An EV??????` #13  
By yourself an EV Hummer and make sure you got a good tow truck guy in your phone, you’re gonna need it.
Buy yourself an EV…
Small mindedness is a terrible disease.

/ An EV??????` #18  
I have to go find the link, but NTSB statistics show that gas cars catch fire at about five times the rate of electric cars. I have personally watched a gas car burn right to the ground after a gas tank puncture. Everyone got out (fortunately) but inside of three minutes the car (full sized GM car) was totally destroyed. Of course, if you want to bash the flammability of gas powered car, one word will do it: PINTO!

Fires in electric cars are different, and allegedly harder to put out. Gasoline car fires go out when all the gas is burned up. Electric car batteries sometimes reignite until they are fully discharged. Fire departments are learning how to deal with them, so in a few years, this will be a non-issue.

I really don't care what makes my car go - gasoline, electricity, pixie dust, I just want the capabilities I need and the performance I want at the lowest cost. Right now, gasoline cars do the job, but electric cars are gaining fast.

BYD (China) is offering a very nice "city" car for just under ten grand brand new, and they say they are making a profit on that. To meet US safety specs (a very good idea!), the car might sell for $15K instead of $10K. No, repeat NO, US or European car company has been able to come close to that. Allegations of slave labor, the grid won't support it, geopolitics, it'll flat murder domestic producers notwithstanding, $15K for a quite adequate, brand new "errand car" sounds like a pretty good deal. Other car makers better figure out how to do this and copy it or they'll be history.

Then of course people will complain about poor quality. Remember when Honda started shipping cars here in the late 60s and early 70s? They were pretty underwhelming, but now they are among the best cars in the world. Look at Subaru, their first US effort was a 360cc joke, nowadays you see Subarus everywhere, and they are darn good. I see no reason that Chinese cars won't improve as well, and rapidly.

Things change, sometimes faster than we'd like, sometimes in ways we don't like, but they change anyway. We can't stop this, we have to make the best of it, and sometimes the best is pretty darn good.

Best Regards,
Mike/Florida

/ An EV??????` #19  
Why would you post that with a question about it being an EV? Are you daft?

It is an older Mazda sitting at a gas pump. Apparently, you hate EVs and will do anything to discredit them.
Unreal.
I am suspicious of the picture as well, but the reason so many of us sneer at EVs is that governments are maniacally fixated on forcing them on us. The climate liars are so full of themselves that they actually believe they can give us better weather by passing legislation. If EVs are so superior, then drivers will buy them voluntarily. So why do they have to ban ICE alternatives? There is no crisis, but even if there were, the best way to deal with it is to leave consumers free to make their own choices so producers will apply resources to their highest-valued uses. Any time a government dictates economic activity, resources are wasted and the population is made poorer.

/ An EV??????` #20  
@sunandsand,

Is your idea of Americans buying Chinese made BYD cars a good thing?

I’m not being confrontational. There’s no wrong answer here.

I just want you to tell all of us “ignoramuses” on electric cars why that would be a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.