An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #221  
This thinking is still baffling to me.

Do I really need to go buy an EV, trailer it home (since I know it won't make it on its own) just to be able to partake in the discussion?

Yes, it could be used to go to the post office, the nearest voting place, and the gravel pit. And the neighbors, of course. Basically, maybe 50 miles per year.

That'd be a very expensive way to have a voice that's apparently not covered by the First Amendment in your world.

There is so much misinformation spread on these posts by people who don't own EV's.
Once you own one you understand why it is misinformation. Why offer an opinion on something you don't own?
That is like talking about the problems with tractors without owning one. You would be laughed off of this forum.

/ An EV??????` #222  
I keep hearing about the high insurance rates for EV’s and that some insurers won’t write a policy for EV’s. Is this true and what is the comparison for insurance costs for ICE and an EV.
I think it depends.

My first EV was a Ford Ranger converted to Lead Acid batteries in a small commercial shop. I think State Farm refused to insure it due to the conversion, but Progressive did.

My second EV is the Azure (Ford) Transit Connect. Progressive deemed it as a commercial vehicle, and wouldn't insure it, even though it is like a mini pickup, much easier to drive than my larger RAM 1500. Safeco wrote a policy. A small bump in the insurance cost. The insurance company deemed that I'd be driving the wheels off of it. Still, the rate is within reason.

I have liability only on all my vehicles.

How about pulling 10,000 lbs?

Most of the EV pickups available in the USA are rated to pull around 10K give or take a little bit. Rivian, Hummer EV, Ford Lightning EV, Tesla Cybertruck, and Chevy Silverado EV. The Rivian is by far the smallest of the group. However, the heavy low mass of the battery pack is supposed to give them exceptional stability. The Hummer may be the largest EV pickup on the market, and for some reason only is rated at 8,500. Probably taking more power to move it.

Most people travel less than 50 miles per day and charge at home...Right?

Most commuting is somewhere around 50 miles a day, at least in the cities. And the miles rack up. Commuting 100+ daily miles in traffic jams is pretty miserable.

My Transit Connect with an 80 mile maximum range does pretty well for trips around town, and from my place to Mom's place on opposite sides of the city (both out of town).

The problem is the occasional "road trip" where one decides to hop in the car or pickup and drive 500 miles. The decade old Transit Connect has the nearly obsolete J1772 charging which limits it to mostly around town.

Virtually all new vehicles have some kind of super charging capabilities which can get one in and out in about a half hour. Still, that isn't needed a lot.

Most people tow at least 10,000 lbs within 50 miles? Why are you being so obtuse?
The dual- and tri-motor Cybertrucks have a maximum towing capacity of 11,000 pounds
Yes, but for 80 miles before needing a charge.
It depends. A lot of towing will be somewhat close to one's home. I've been hitting a few auctions, but I prefer to stay within 100 miles or so each way. Trips to Home depot? Hauling your tractor to the shop, or to the neighbor's property?

That only breaks down when hauling your 50 foot travel trailer across the country. But, even with that, if you're planning to camp for a few days, hopefully you can get a good 220V connection and recharge in the campground.

Everything I've seen indicates that the towing range cuts the rated range down by about 50%. That certainly would depend on what one's towing. My observations with my RAM 1500 is similar. Empty I can get slightly above 20 MPG. Or, on a good day around 25 MPG. Towing, it depends on the load, but I am often in the 15/16 MPG range, and on occasion drop down to around 13 MPG. I.E. More filling stops.

The key word is If my diesel engine implodes. I will probably get 400,000 miles or more out of my diesel engine and it’s a guarantee that you will replace your costly batteries at least once if not more and I will still be driving my Cummins. There is no way your EV batteries will last as long as my diesel, no way. So yes, you will be forking over $1000’s for new batteries and I will still be racking up miles on my diesel ICE.
Perhaps.
Or you could throw a rod through the block, and start hunting for a $5K to $10K replacement engine.
400,000 miles? How many MPGs are you talking? 10? 15? Again that depends on how you're using it. But, at 10 MPG, you get 40,000 gallons of fuel which won't exactly be free. At $4 per gallon, that comes up to $160,000 in fuel costs.

Plus, an oil change every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. So, at 5K, you get 80 oil changes. How much per oil change? $50? So, an additional $4,000 or so for oil changes.

Did you blow up a transmission too?

Your EV pickup won't exactly be free to operate. Currently home charging is much less expensive than gasoline or diesel. Supercharging on road trips is about equivalent in cost to gas or diesel.

We'll see how the technology shakes out over the next few years, but a lot of this seems to be fear mongering.

While I do have the EV Transit Connect, a larger EV pickup doesn't fit my needs at the moment, but I'll probably have one within 5 years.

/ An EV??????` #223  
There is so much misinformation spread on these posts by people who don't own EV's.
Once you own one you understand why it is misinformation. Why offer an opinion on something you don't own?
As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, you don't have to own an EV to know about their pros and cons.

The manufacturers' (somewhat inflated and misleading) range estimates are readily available, as is the locations for charging. Also, when a dealer is honest enough to say "don't buy one" when they could potentially sell a $100K to $230K EV, there must be a reason they'd rather not.

Besides, scientists don't own the moon, for example, yet can freely discuss their findings and opinions about it. Trying to exclude certain peoples' opinion is unfortunately becoming common, but that doesn't make it right.

/ An EV??????` #224  
I think it depends.

Most of the EV pickups available in the USA are rated to pull around 10K give or take a little bit. Rivian, Hummer EV, Ford Lightning EV, Tesla Cybertruck, and Chevy Silverado EV. The Rivian is by far the smallest of the group. However, the heavy low mass of the battery pack is supposed to give them exceptional stability. The Hummer may be the largest EV pickup on the market, and for some reason only is rated at 8,500. Probably taking more power to move it.

It depends. A lot of towing will be somewhat close to one's home. I've been hitting a few auctions, but I prefer to stay within 100 miles or so each way. Trips to Home depot? Hauling your tractor to the shop, or to the neighbor's property?

We'll see how the technology shakes out over the next few years, but a lot of this seems to be fear mongering.

While I do have the EV Transit Connect, a larger EV pickup doesn't fit my needs at the moment, but I'll probably have one within 5 years.

Watch Youtube videos on real world tests of pulling weight behind an EV pickup. I believe it was less than 100 miles until the charge hit 0%.
Not good enough for my needs. I would love to get rid of my diesel truck and get another Tesla but just can't do it at this point.
I had to make four 50 mile round trips in one morning getting 7k lbs each of paver base, sand, pavers pulling a dump bed trailer. Could only do that with my diesel truck and not an EV truck.
BUT, now that I have my Tesla I use that for everything else which is 95% of monthly driving. I suspect for most that would be the same.

/ An EV??????` #225  
400,000 miles? How many MPGs are you talking? 10? 15? Again that depends on how you're using it. But, at 10 MPG, you get 40,000 gallons of fuel which won't exactly be free. At $4 per gallon, that comes up to $160,000 in fuel costs.

Plus, an oil change every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. So, at 5K, you get 80 oil changes. How much per oil change? $50? So, an additional $4,000 or so for oil changes.
A friend of mine puts around 400,000 miles on his Ram in about three years or so, delivering trailers. Sometimes grossing out at a bit over 45,000 lbs.

He gets a bit over 10 mpg on average, partially because he generally bobtails back. Yes, he pays dearly for fuel, but makes a really good living doing his job.

Other than basic maintenance (oil changes every 15,000 miles, which he does himself) he has had minimal issues. Part of that is by trading them in at around 400,000 miles or a bit more.

/ An EV??????` #226  
I have never worried about warranties as I don't want others to work on my vehicles, so I don't know what time or mileage they cover. If I did worry about it, I'd get extended warranties.

And maybe I'm alowed a tiny bit of input here if I admit that I own a John Deere eGator? It never leaves the property, so worst case would be that I had to walk half a mile.
Our eEzgo is our most used hauler on the place.

/ An EV??????` #227  
Watch Youtube videos on real world tests of pulling weight behind an EV pickup. I believe it was less than 100 miles until the charge hit 0%.
Not good enough for my needs. I would love to get rid of my diesel truck and get another Tesla but just can't do it at this point.
I had to make four 50 mile round trips in one morning getting 7k lbs each of paver base, sand, pavers pulling a dump bed trailer. Could only do that with my diesel truck and not an EV truck.
BUT, now that I have my Tesla I use that for everything else which is 95% of monthly driving. I suspect for most that would be the same.
I'll rewatch some of the review tests. What I've seen in the past was that hard towing was about 50% of the rated range. So, if rated at 400 miles, then towing would be about 200 miles. But it all depends on what one is towing.

Your dump trailer would be wide which is a problem for aerodynamics, but it would be relatively low, so it may not be as bad as one expects. Also half the drive is empty (but not as short as a flatbed).

Keep in mind that the Tesla Cybertruck went almost 4 years from announcement to delivery. In that time it has already become obsolete.

The king of the hill for towing is probably the Silverado EV, and I expect more good things from that one in the near future. We'll see what RAM comes up with.

Anyway, if you do 4, 50 mile RT trips towing may be pushing the EV battery capacity a bit, but it may do it. How often do you do that? Do you have charging at the destination? Is there a supercharger somewhere that you could top off on one of the trips (assuming you can get your pickup and trailer to the charger)? You'd probably only need about a half a charge.

I do a fair amount of freeway driving for my long hauls. So, surely there is a place to recharge almost everywhere I go. The worst is the hop from Eugene to Bend to Ontario to Boise. How many extra stops due to a paucity of chargers? What if I was counting on a single charger in Burns, and there was none? Yet those charging deserts will be solved eventually.

/ An EV??????` #228  
Have you seen the videos of people gassing up a boat and mistakenly pumping the fuel into a gunwale rod holder or downrigger mount? The fuel is either pouring out the drain plug hole or filling up the bilge. I've seen where they've pumped hundreds of dollars' worth of fuel.

/ An EV??????` #229  
Our eEzgo is our most used hauler on the place.
That JD is probably what I use the least around here. But it's a practical dinghy once I made a towbar for it.

That way I can quickly go back and pickup up whatever tools and such I might need where I'm working.

For the very most part it's a Dihatsu HiJet that gets driven the most - about 10 miles per week on average. The tiny tank lasts me for months.
DSCN0632.JPG

/ An EV??????` #230  
That JD is probably what I use the least around here. But it's a practical dinghy once I made a towbar for it.

That way I can quickly go back and pickup up whatever tools and such I might need where I'm working.

For the very most part it's a Dihatsu HiJet that gets driven the most - about 10 miles per week on average. The tiny tank lasts me for months.View attachment 861319
That's one nice machine.

Our golf cart is DC but has Regen feature and a safety feature that locks the rotor for 2 seconds over and over if you just get off without locking the brakes and it starts to roll off.. Our place is very hilly the and the kids were like 12 when I got the cart to use around the place and for driver Ed training. The son and daughter are twins and we had 10 miles of county roads for training. When a driving infraction occurred they had to swap places.

The partial eclipses is in progress locally so that is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.