An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #281  
Looking at the Tesla charging map it seems that if you stay on the interstate or in a city you will be fine. If you like to run around the back roads and sight see you are screwed in most states.
Try a driving tour of Ozarks Scenic Riverways, you can drive all day for weeks and discover new magical places but you are a long way from any Supercharger at least half a state away. Yet there is a Casey's gas station or 2 in every little town.

Yes you can plan around interstates but don't expect to see the National forests or true rural areas. But then again we don't have fancy restaurants or hotels either. We did not even have extra traffic for the eclipse, too far from the cities.

/ An EV??????` #283  
Quite a bit of information missing, as usual.
1) The article doesn't say how far the driver they used for the story traveled. Wakefield, Mass to somewhere in Vermont. Could have been 110 miles or could have been 200 miles.
2) There are 8 supercharger stations in Vermont. Were all the superchargers packed?
3) What was the state of charge that the driver used in the article left his house?
4) Did the Tesla navigation not know the specific supercharger had a long wait?

I made a 700 mile round trip to Austin last year in our Tesla without any issues.
In one of the pictures in the article, people were wearing masks outdoors so that right indicated a lack of common sense. 😅
You are hilarious Trad , the article is quite clear that many Tesla owners were involved. ( So people, by your standards, should be the only ones allowed to have a EV opinion ) Yet on a busy event weekend they had all sorts of charging availability problems using the tools Tesla provides. But you compare it to your round trip to Austin that obviously was on a quiet more typical travel days. So you invalidate their experiences and expectations because they don't meet your narrative. Same as you invalidate anyone that does not own a EV on this TBN site. Wow ! who is left in your world with valid opinions ? Just you ? Hmmmm Now I know I am on your ignore list, but by posting I can at least have the rest of the TBN audience see the holes in your narrative.

/ An EV??????` #284  
EV's….A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
The problem is VERY REAL. We live on a warming planet due to what we're releasing into the atmosphere. And, that is having wide ranging long term impacts that we're still having troubles predicting. More heat, and perhaps more sun is good for some things, but devastating for others.

Now, not every storm is "Climate Change", but some are aggravated by it. And that will only get worse over time.

What kind of a planet do you wish to leave for your kids and grandkids?
"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Seven percent of Americans, up from 4% a year ago, report that they own an electric vehicle.
Pretty extraordinary numbers. I don't think I'm seeing 7% of the cars on the road being EVs, although I might not recognize all of them. I regularly see Teslas and Rivians with very distinct front ends on the road.
Same story is happening in Canada . This was in this morning's national newspaper the Financial Post. 'Tall order to ask the average Canadian': EVs are twice as hard to sell today
Two very different viewpoints.

The US EV Market is evolving rapidly.

Look at EV pickups,

A couple of years ago, Rivian was the only one on the block.
Now we have Rivian, Hummer, Ford Lightning, and Chevy Silverado EV. Not to forget Tesla CyberTruck. Canoo will release a pickup... soon. And RAM will either have an EV pickup or plug-in hybrid shortly. Add to that several EV delivery vans and EV small and large trucks.

More competition means sales projections have to take into account what other companies are also doing.

It is already becoming obvious that the market is evolving quickly with better and longer range vehicles. And those that don't adapt are left in the dust.

The same plethora of choices is also hitting the passenger vehicle market.

The Financial Post article suggests that Ford was delaying opening a new assembly line as battery technology evolves. That may well be wise.

Set the Ford Lightning with a 320 mile range next to the Silverado with a 450 mile range. It won't make much difference to the Urban Cowboys. However, it will impact those using it as a long distance work truck.

The used Tesla market took a hit when Tesla cut their prices on new vehicles.

The market competition has to be felt throughout the industry from startups to established companies. And also would be impacting their raw materials.

/ An EV??????` #285  
The problem is VERY REAL. We live on a warming planet due to what we're releasing into the atmosphere. And, that is having wide ranging long term impacts that we're still having troubles predicting. More heat, and perhaps more sun is good for some things, but devastating for others.

Now, not every storm is "Climate Change", but some are aggravated by it. And that will only get worse over time.

Pretty extraordinary numbers. I don't think I'm seeing 7% of the cars on the road being EVs, although I might not recognize all of them. I regularly see Teslas and Rivians with very distinct front ends on the road.

Look at EV pickups,

Now we have Rivian, Hummer, Ford Lightning, and Chevy Silverado EV. Not to forget Tesla CyberTruck. Canoo will release a pickup... soon. And RAM will either have an EV pickup or plug-in hybrid shortly. Add to that several EV delivery vans and EV small and large trucks.

More competition means sales projections have to take into account what other companies are also doing.

It is already becoming obvious that the market is evolving quickly with better and longer range vehicles. And those that don't adapt are left in the dust.

The Financial Post article suggests that Ford was delaying opening a new assembly line as battery technology evolves. That may well be wise.

Set the Ford Lightning with a 320 mile range next to the Silverado with a 450 mile range. It won't make much difference to the Urban Cowboys. However, it will impact those using it as a long distance work truck.

The market competition has to be felt throughout the industry from startups to established companies. And also would be impacting their raw materials.
Oh boy. A lot of opinion, and conjecture there. It’ll take a while to respond to all of that, one piece at a time. May take me a bit to get in the mood, but I will respond

/ An EV??????` #286  
I skipped the last eclipse... to far away.

However, for the last one I rode my bicycle from Eugene OR to Albany OR. The traffic wasn't too bad in the morning, but moments after the eclipse it was just MISERABLE. The freeway became a parking lot, and the back roads where I was riding were just hammered with traffic. I should have jumped onto the freeway and passed all the cars that were going nowhere, of course sucking exhaust fumes isn't my favorite thing to do.

My guess is the East Coast was far worse with more people. The Tesla drivers that planned ahead likely did fine. Drive up the day before. Charge up, view the eclipse. Then go home.

Those that drove up, watched the eclipse, then headed to recharge likely were the ones waiting.

Were any local gas stations also overwhelmed? Did any run out of gas?

We weren't given the round trip mileage of the example used in the article. I would feel comfortable with a 220 mile round trip without charging as long as left the house with 100% SOC.
Personally I don't like crowds and wouldn't have went but being in East Texas we had a perfect view of the full eclipse.

/ An EV??????` #287  
The one in my above post is county-maintained, and the counties do a great job. Unfortunately most of the roads around me are BLM (Federal government) and they do almost no road maintenance. If a road becomes impassable due to washouts or whatever then it is considered closed and the area becomes eligible for "wilderness" designation wherein no vehicles are allowed at all. This is a pic of a BLM road, taken about 30 miles south of the road in the above post:
View attachment 861184

Only a designated employee of the Federal Government is allowed to work on a BLM road. A private individual would be subject to arrest. That policy is a big change that came about some 30 years ago. Up till then, if a rancher or miner had an interest in an area (like a mining claim) he was allowed to maintain the road. No more.
Build back better at work.

/ An EV??????` #288  

Look at EV pickups,

I didn't buy my EV's to protect the environment because I don't believe in global warming because the major proponents don't, as they fly all over the world leaving a large carbon footprint. It use to be called global warming and when that didn't pan out it is now referred to as climate change.

The real culprits of pollution in general are China and India but good luck grabbing money from them.
Clearly finding renewable energy sources, deploying Earth-friendly technology and discouraging pollution are sensible goals regardless of whether manmade climate change is real. And even the staunchest Climate Change opponent might admit global temperatures are on the rise. The debate is what role, if any, man plays in contributing to this warming.

I like EV's because of the convenience and almost zero noise pollution.

/ An EV??????` #289  
Well, Ford and GM are delaying production of EVs, at least one proposed battery plant has been put on hold (maybe shelved for good, I don't remember).

Those are common sense actions if EVs aren't selling like some thought they would.

Common sense would also suggest that a higher price (no subsidies) would slow the sales down.

Maybe I'm relying too much on common sense, but it does keep me from putting gasoline in a diesel. Which is helpful.

By the way. Haven't verified it, but supposedly the Corolla is the most popular car in the world, not a Tesla. Which makes sense.

I work very closely with OEM's on the manufacturing side and I can confirm that the big 3 that I deal with are in fact pulling back the riens so to speak on the EV stuff. My companies forecast on EV's show the same across the industry. Its not going away by any stretch but they certainly did put the horse before the cart with the massive rollouts of so many EV lines and now they realize that and are pumping the brakes. I know a certain someone wont see this reply but as you know, I dont have to own an EV to know quite a lot about them and the market for them.

/ An EV??????` #290  
As mentioned above, I don't think it matters one iota what we do here in the USA as long as China and India are allowed to keep doing things their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.