An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #31  
Haha, no worries. I also share my tractor 50/50 with a good friend. For the most part we are both good safe operators. But it does make me cringe when I see him ramming into stuff....

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #32  
I was mowing a fence line with my cub, a piece of barb wire, that was burried, flipped up and poked a small hole in the oil filter. Lucky for me, the wind blew the oil mist in my face, and I shut it down right away. Freak accidents can happen, even when just mowing.

Dave

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #33  
I have a new L4740. I remove snow by winter and work on wooded properties in the summer. I remove stumps, brush and haul logs with my logging winch. I am very careful but things happen so fast in the woods. Darn beach saplings act as high power spring polls. So far I lost a mirror and a back window. The only people who do not make mistakes are the people who does not do anything. Reading this stuff I going to go make myself some skid plates and bush guards.

snow blowing, landscaping, lot clearing, recreation

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #34  
When I sold Caterpillar equipment I recall a skidder operator who had a hickory sapling come through the heavy gauge screen wire that surrounds the operator compartment and it pierced his body, ran all through him and killed him. Equipment used for clearing is rthe most shielded of all heavy equipment. If you go playing in the woods with a farm tractor be prepared for the inevitable. Consider yourself lucky if its only your tractor that gets torn up.

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #35  
I could learn alot from your attitude and reaction. Very mature.

I could learn alot. Time will tell if I do learn.

Time always tells on me... Time is a tattletale!

I really hope I do learn... cause sometimes my attitude is in the dumper.

Thanks for your great example.

:thumbsup::drink:

I second madmax's sentiment. Also glad to hear that you did not end your friendship over it.

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #36  
When I sold Caterpillar equipment I recall a skidder operator who had a hickory sapling come through the heavy gauge screen wire that surrounds the operator compartment and it pierced his body, ran all through him and killed him. Equipment used for clearing is rthe most shielded of all heavy equipment. If you go playing in the woods with a farm tractor be prepared for the inevitable. Consider yourself lucky if its only your tractor that gets torn up.

I could not agree more...Tractors do not belong in the woods...for all the reasons you stated....absolutely right...and it can happen so quick...just bump a tree, especially a dead one or one with a head branch up high and you can be gone before you know it..

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #37  
I could not agree more...Tractors do not belong in the woods...for all the reasons you stated....

Growing up in a rural farming community I can recall quite a few accidents that happened in the field, where tractors DO belong.

After reading this thread, two humorous incidents come to mind-
Many years ago, my uncle, a farmer, was helping a neighbor clear some pasture land that had been taken over by what we call chicken trees (Chinese Tallow). Letting my young cousin get some seat time on the JD 4020 with a push blade, Uncle Dud was observing on the ground near by. So far, we have a young boy, who has a healthy fear of snakes, (remember this, it comes into play shortly), inexperienced, on a tractor, pushing the trees down. Into the mix, unseen by all involved, add a bird nest, an apparently hungry egg-eater (chicken snake) approx. 4-5 feet long, that doesn't like hot tractor hoods. Knocked out of the tree, landing on the tractor hood, Mr. snake decides the operator station would be much more comfortable. Young cousin quickly relinquishes the seat, not bothering to take the tractor out of gear. Luckily for everyone involved, damage was limited to cousins pride, the tractor continued into a small drain ditch where the blade dug into the ground. Mr. Snake was not seen again.

Second story involved a former classmate, who after graduation, went on to become a dentist in order to finance his hobby of raising cattle. One afternoon he was using the three point bale spear on his MF 235 to move a round bale of hay from a pasture to his nearby cattle. This necessitated his traveling a rural highway for a short distance. While on the highway, he was approached from behind by a young man in a pickup, and my niece in her Toyota Camry. At that time, both were high school seniors, who swear they weren't racing, just wanting to see who would get to my sister's home first. The boy made it around the tractor, however an oncoming car prevented my niece from passing; unable to stop, she avoided a head on collision by ramming the soft hay bale on the rear of the tractor. Doc happened to be standing, and his attention was focused on the speeding pickup that had just rocketed by him, so he was totally unprepared when the Toyota crashed into his bale. The impact flipped him over the seat, landing sitting on the car hood, sliding up the windshield finally coming to rest more or less still sitting, on the roof of the car.
Damage list included the Camry almost being totaled,
Doc had a severely bruised tailbone, jangled nerves, and blisters on his kneecaps from all the praying to the Lord, and my sister, to grant his wish that my niece would become his newest patient. (root canals aplenty!)
Niece claimed that her life was "totally ruined" due to being "grounded forever."

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #38  
Interesting.

The grapple didn't "cause" the incident, the operator did.

I sure hope you have a loooong talk behind the woodshed about his irresponsible manner of operation.
At least the cost was only in time & money and not blood (or worse).

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #39  
My brother has always been hard on equipment. Lucky for me we separated our ownership partnership before he did anything serious. He bought a brand new m7040 suhd last year. Beautiful tractor. I liked it so much I bought basically the same thing, trading in my (formerly our) l3400hst.

Anyways, he was up to about 120 hours. He likes to use his loader as a bulldozer and seems to have no fear pulling his bush hog. Well, just finishing up some hogging he hit the guard (with a stump) around hydraylic controls for loader. No big deal. Yet. Couple days later he hit a stump (different one) again in the same area. It cracked the transmission housing where the guard bolts on. OUCH!

He is still waiting to hear back from the dealer on how long and how much to fix. Lucky for him his insurance should cover it except for his $1000 deductible. Hopefully he will have learned his lesson.

/ An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota #40  
My brother has always been hard on equipment. Lucky for me we separated our ownership partnership before he did anything serious. He bought a brand new m7040 suhd last year. Beautiful tractor. I liked it so much I bought basically the same thing, trading in my (formerly our) l3400hst.

Anyways, he was up to about 120 hours. He likes to use his loader as a bulldozer and seems to have no fear pulling his bush hog. Well, just finishing up some hogging he hit the guard (with a stump) around hydraylic controls for loader. No big deal. Yet. Couple days later he hit a stump (different one) again in the same area. It cracked the transmission housing where the guard bolts on. OUCH!

He is still waiting to hear back from the dealer on how long and how much to fix. Lucky for him his insurance should cover it except for his $1000 deductible. Hopefully he will have learned his lesson.

Yowchi !

Sadly, the insurance is keeping him from fully learning the lesson. I'm sure he'd learn it better if he had to spin wrenches himself to install parts he had to buy himself. I know that's what it took to learn me up with cars!:laughing: