+ and - of tractor ownership

/ + and - of tractor ownership #1  

paccorti

Gold Member
Tractor
TC35D with 16LA Loader
I mean this as a humorous post so here goes.

+ HST is easy to drive very productive
- HST is easy to drive very productive in wife's hands
+ Diesels are very fuel efficient
- Refuelling my tractor involves holding a 5 gallon can 5' in the air
+ FEL is an incredibly useful piece of equipment
- FEL is an incredibly useful piece of equipment that makes you so lazy you find yourself trying to scoop individual 1 lb rocks (in the pasture) cause you're too lazy to get off the tractor
+ Rotary cutter can grind up just about everything
- Rotary cutter can grind up just about everything except ROCKS which sounds like someone just shoved a grenade up your cutter
+ Friends and neighbors are impressed with your new tractor
- Friends and neighbors are impressed with your new tractor and want to borrow it
+ Your 4 year old son is proud of the new tractor and tells everyone that you have a '35D
- Your average person dosen't know squat about tractors, they think you got a lawn and garden tractor or a bulldozer
+ Your new tractor is an enginnering marvel that represents the height of human acheivement
- Your new tractor makes the slightest weird sound and you get a knot in your stomach
+ While driving the tractor, your wife looks like the picture of tractoring experience
- While engaging PTO, wife flutters hands and stares at levers like she's in the cockpit of a SR71 Blackbird
+ Tractors are useful for people who have horses
- People with tractors don't need horses. Tractors ride like bucking broncos (at 1/10 the speed)
Any others?

Peter

/ + and - of tractor ownership #2  
Peter,

I like those! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

While we're on a humorous subject, I've been trying to get my scanner to work, no success yet, even with Visioneer Tech support! Anyway, picture this:

Guy sitting on tractor, guy standing on the ground, tractor has little front tires on the back and big back tires on the front, guy on ground says, "are you sure you're supposed to rotate the wheels on a tractor?"

This was on the wall at the muffler/brake/tire shop that I visited about a month ago and I just had to ask for a copy! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Sorry, but due to technical difficulties I've been unable to share it...hope you got a good visual! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ + and - of tractor ownership #3  
LOVED IT!

That comment about the wife thinking she's bringing in the space shuttle when engaging the PTO...I'VE SEEN THAT EXPRESSION! (but I think I had it when I rented an excavator...)

And the comment about picking up pebbles so you don't have to get off? That's why I had to have a backhoe, to pick up sticks, and since I usually have to push/pull them around for awhile now I have to get a hydraulic thumb. After that, grapple bucket?

My daughter knows more about equipment then most of the media people seem to, she went to the heavy equipment auction with me and we laugh everytime the news media talks about bridge work or a landslide and refers to the guy on the "bulldozer" (the guy on the backhoe) etc.

And neighbors not knowing much...I think I've told this story about my neighbor knowing I was going to replace the Blue Ford 1710,"let" him see me on the L35, then sometime later "let"him see me on the BX, I told him I took the backhoe off and he just looked at it with the funniest expression, not knowing I bought two.

/ + and - of tractor ownership #4  
Thanks for the great post. I thought I was the only one, but I have experienced each and every one of those points. Just yesteday I loaded up the 50 gallon drum on my 3 point, and drove around to all of the pastures to fill up the horses water buckets. Well I guess the horses hadn't been out long in the pastures that day, because out of my 5 pastures, only one bucket need about a gallon of water to top it off, all the others were full to the brim. So here I was driving 400 pounds of water and 1500 pounds of tractor around when all I really need to do was walk out there with one half full pail of water in my hands to get the job done. Would have taken half the time, but I just "had" to use the tractor!!

/ + and - of tractor ownership #5  
Thanks for the chuckles, I loved it.

/ + and - of tractor ownership #6  
The FEL comes in handy for picking up your hat you just dropped in the previous pass.