And the HP Wars Begin

/ And the HP Wars Begin #2  
I knew it was coming.:D

Chris

/ And the HP Wars Begin #3  
The HP wars CONTINUE.

I forget who "started it" and it doesn't much matter.
Fact is the great American buying public WANTS POWER for.... errr, ummm, being seen at Bars, Diners, Home Despot, dump runs on saturday morning with two big green plastic bags, etc.

Yeah ! NEED 400 HP for THOSE tasks.

Oh, there is also the 17ft bow rider for towing the kids around in/on inflatable water toys.
Can't haul THAT around with a little 6 cylinder engine, it must weigh Awww, 1500 pounds or more (-:

/ And the HP Wars Begin #4  
Oh man, talk about stealing the thunder from Ford, to come out with this just a week later.
The HP wars are stupid, is there still such a market for these pick up truck drag racers?
That's why I'm glad Dodge derates their Chassis cab work trucks HP, tuning them down a little to get greater service life out of them. The way a diesel should be.

JB.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #5  
I have an '03 Duramax, rated at 300 HP IIRC.
I pull a head to head horse trailer with it.
I have some liking for extra instruments, so I added a scan gauge II.
This gives me OBD II scans if/when a fault light comes on, I can clear codes while driving, usually early warning of a restricted fuel filter.
It also gives me real time display of 4 extra gauges that I choose from a dozen or so.
I very RARELY use more than 75 HP (25% of the 300 HP rating) when towing.

I should add that SOME of the reason for this is that I am either hauling live animals who (I assume) have no appreciation of acceleration, or I am running empty and don't need much power anyway.
I doubt that I would use much more than 1/3 (100 HP) if I was pulling an inanimate load.
Heck, if it is HEAVY who needs it coming through the back of the cab anyway ?

OK, so I also have this 167 HP motorcycle that is 3 years old now.... and the new models are around 175 HP, with 200 HP (& 200 MPH) foreseeable.

Yeah, I have no need for that much power on two wheels either (-:
We do BUY it though, - - me too.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #6  
HaHa, it's gotta make you laugh.....

It'd be some good bar talk...."Yea, I got 7 more HP than you...!"

I think there's some little screw hidden away in these engines that they go back in, break the safety wire, and tweak up a bit to get more HP....!

But, it's the American way, free enterprise, marketing, competition, etc. and deep down inside we love it!

/ And the HP Wars Begin #7  
The Budget has decreed I must stay with my anemic old 96 Dodge. :D

Course come the hills I'll be "Leader of The Pack".:thumbsup:

/ And the HP Wars Begin #8  
I wonder if you will need a CDL to drive it? :cool:

/ And the HP Wars Begin #9  
This is one of the reasons why we''l probably not see an economical diesel in a half-ton truck.

Most folks point at the EPA, and rightfully so, but you cannot tell me that manufacturers are unable to certify a light-duty diesel due to costs / complexity. They just are not willing to.

Somewhere along the line we've become so enamored with power that we forget the other attributes of diesel power - longevity and efficiency.

The manufacturers just keep on tweakin' their engines to ridiculous levels, giving up on economy and durability in the process. We buy into it because we just love our power!

I'd like to propose that the automakers provide consumers with a six cylinder, lower displacement (4 liter class), economical turbo-diesel for light duty truck use. I feel that there is an untapped market for a 160-200hp / 350-400ft lb diesel engine which in a half-ton would deliver a consistent 25mpg highway.

The engines capable of doing this are already being built - In Europe.

Unfortunately the first one built and released here would immediately be trumped by another manufacturer's "most-powerful-diesel-available-in-a-half-ton-truck" version, and the diesel hp war would be on again, just in another class of truck...

We all lose in the process...

My .02

Lunk

Last edited:
   / And the HP Wars Begin #10  
I'd like to propose that the automakers provide consumers with a six cylinder, lower displacement (4 liter class), economical turbo-diesel for light duty truck use. I feel that there is an untapped market for a 160-200hp / 350-400ft lb diesel engine which in a half-ton would deliver a consistent 25mpg highway.

Gee, I got one of those in a 3/4 model but it does have a little more displacement.:thumbsup: