Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I have two angle grinders (DEWALT and Bosch) that have been used on concrete a fair amount and on their last use both started smoking and quit working.

Is there any chance a brush replacement would restore them to working condition?

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #2  
Yea no

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #3  
Once you let the magic smoke out they are pretty much done. Usually means burnt insulation in the motor. they are not hard to disassemble to see what happened, then compare the cost of the parts to a new grinder. If they ate a lot of concrete dust the gear head and bearing are probably hurt as well.

Last edited:
   / Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #6  
I have two angle grinders (DEWALT and Bosch) that have been used on concrete a fair amount and on their last use both started smoking and quit working.

Is there any chance a brush replacement would restore them to working condition?
As others have said, not a very good chance of resurrecting them. I don't use an angle grinder often, but when I do I push it pretty hard, including grinding concrete. Which is why I buy HF grinders on sale for $20, put grease in the gear box, they have appalling little grease in them out of the box, and go to town. I haven't killed one yet but when I do, I am only out $20 and I have a few as backup at that price.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #7  
Smoke means the windings were burning, that's the motor, not the brushes. What size extension cord were you using? May have been too small which can cause excess heat and will huff the motor. I almost did this with an air compressor once, almost.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #8  
Most angle grinder will have sealed gearboxes so dust in them isn't an issue and the real expensive (relatively speaking) Chief angle grinders are an exact copy if the IR air grinder which sells for at least 100 bucks more and the Chief even has a needle grease fitting on the head to add grease, I know, I have two of them Great angle grinders so long as you have adequate air supply, which I also have because I also have a CNC plasma table. When grinding concrete with any angle grinder, first thing you need to do after doing it is take it apart and blow it out and makes sure the bearings are clean and lubricated....always, cheap or not.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #9  
New brushes won't help a toasted motor. One thing about toasting a cheap Chinese motor, the smell of cheap rice paper lingers a long time and it stinks too. I cooked one on my bandsaw a while back and the whole shop stunk for days. I replaced it with a Marathon 3 phase I had sitting on the shelf.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #10  
Actually, they didn't loose their smoke, they made their smoke....lol

Like the song goes, 'the smoker you are the player you get'. In your case you aren't the player but the payer instead.