Anonymous users

/ Anonymous users #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
Do all of you *registered* users ever look at the statistics on the main discussion page. On 6/17/04 at 2pm this is what popped up:

<font color="blue"> Forum Totals: 442801 Posts, 11503 Registered Users
There are 55 registered and 129 anonymous users online. </font>

What is amazing to me is the 129 anonymous users. Why do you think so many are hesitent to join in? What can we do to encourage their participation?

This site has grown SO much since I started hanging out here. Pretty amazing... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mark

/ Anonymous users #2  
How many of us have more than one session of TBN open at one time, for one reason or another?

There have been times when I have had TBN open in two browser windows. One example would be cutting and pasting a link from another TBN thread into another thread.

Anyhoo, I've found that when you have TBN open in a second window, it shows up as an "anonymous" user.

I wonder how many of the anonymous users are from occasions such as this?

/ Anonymous users #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why do you think so many are hesitent to join in? )</font>

I remember when I first stumbled onto TBN. As everyone has said many times, I was absolutely floored at the amount of information flying around in the various forums. I knew immediately that there was no way I could possibly contribute anything of value to the topics being discussed.

So, I just kept lurking and trying to learn more information. And then one day, I came across a thread that I did have some knowledge and experience in. I finally felt like I could contribute something positive, so I registered.

I'll bet that almost all of the "registered" members had similar feelings in the beginning. If you think back to when you first found TBN, I'll bet you'll have to admit that you were a bit intimidated too.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What can we do to encourage their participation?
)</font>

All we can do is to continue to encourage people to join, by posting threads like this. If they can understand that most of the membership had the same misgivings and uncomfortable feelings as they do, then they might be willing to take the jump and register.

Of course, it is imcumbent on US to make sure that their first attempts are accepted gracefully and with a positive attitude. It certainly won't help to encourage other lurkers to join if they see a New Member getting blasted for something that (s)he said or didn't say.

Other than that, I don't know what else could be done. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Maybe if we yell real loud?

COME ON ALL OF YOU LURKERS!! WE'RE WAITING FOR YOU TO JOIN SO WE CAN EXPAND OUR KNOWLEDGE BASE EVEN MORE!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

How's that? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Anonymous users #4  
Well... our current rate of new user registration is higher than it's ever been. And we have more posters than we ever have. But that said, there will always be a lot of people who don't want to register and post. We don't mind really since we have a great community as it is. Anonymous users are part of what make it great.

/ Anonymous users #5  
<font color="blue"> I knew immediately that there was no way I could possibly contribute anything of value to the topics being discussed. </font>

The first time I found TBN, I had nothing to contribute, but I found that there were knowledgable people who could help me with what I needed to know. I registered and asked my first question in my very first post, and I've been learning from the best ever since! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've sure learned a lot since I joined, and I regret I haven't been able to contribute to the degree that others have helped me since that time! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way, Garry, you've given me an idea for a new thread.
See the Related Topics forum...

/ Anonymous users #6  
But then again, There's always Junkman, who probably surfs the site without logging in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That would make him one the unregistered users. Probably some other members as well at times.

/ Anonymous users #7  
I may be a bunch of the unregistered users then too - I often run many browser windows at a time. I tend to look through and open up interesting posts in a batch, then read them. Since I use Netscape, I've really gotten used to the "tabbed browsing" feature, where you can open up multiple tabs in the same window. I'll have one with my Yahoo home page, and a couple of tabs in that with news articles, and the radar map so I can see how many hours it will be 'till it rains again. Then I'll have a window with a couple of TBN tabs going, etc.

/ Anonymous users #8  
Not a day goes by, that we dont send people to the TBN discussion forums. We tell them that is the best place on the internet to find out all the the good, bad and ugly about tractors, implements and dealers. We have not anyone disagree after lurking a few hours /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *Now Stocking Livestock Supplies*

/ Anonymous users #9  
Andy, I just did a test, by opening and closing several new TBN tabs - it did not appear to change the number of registered or anonymous users. It may be a browser related difference.

/ Anonymous users #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But then again, There's always Junkman, who probably surfs the site without logging in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That would make him one the unregistered users. Probably some other members as well at times. )</font>

WHO........ME..????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif