Another backhoe question

/ Another backhoe question #41  
If you have clearing and digging to do, consider a dresser/international track loader with 4 in1 bucket. The 150 or better yet 175c will do about anything you need to do within reason. 10 to15 grand for a decent one, about half of a comparable Cat machine. If you don't tear it up, you can get your money back in a couple years. Have had one for 10+ years, cleared 25 or more acres part time, will take out, pick up and carry trees that will surprise you. Bucket is too big for footings, but a root cellar, basement, "pond", you will be done before you get started good with a backhoe attachment. They are fun to operate, relieves lots of stress.

/ Another backhoe question #42  
I appreciate such a long response! Several good points.

I was a heavy equipment operator for about 6 years, and I agree 100% with you! An excavator, tracked skid steer, or a true backhoe are all better options, no question. Closed thing I could "afford" that could do more than one task was a TLB. I priced out a Kubota L47 TLB at about $60,000 MSRP. Would be such an amazing machine to have, but that is serious $$$. Also, I am trying to Swiss Army knife things a bit. I really will need the 3 point for my brush hog and tiller in the future. Kind of a goldilocks machine, but nearly double the price without the grapple.

I was quoted $39,700 for:
- Branson 4820H
- Loader
- 72" Grapple and 3rd function
- 72" Landscape rake
- 4k Pallet forks
- Auger
- 72" Tiller
- 72" Brush hog

Very much a Swiss Army knife type set up. I'll really have to consider clearing what I can, and saving the excavator tasks up until I know I have a free weekend to rent one.

Very very good point about the footings. I didn't even think about that.
Wow... I paid 52,500 for a Kubota 3560 with backhoe and none of the other stuff.

So that's about $3000 difference minus the other goodies..

With those added back in it's about $11,000 difference. That's a lot of tractor for $49,700 (if I include the Backhoe at $10,000)

Sweet deal. Who's servicing your Branson?

Don

/ Another backhoe question #43  
One of the first experiences I had with my backhoe on the Kubota (4 months in) was finding a 750 gallon empty oil tank buried about 2 ft under the driveway i was building. It was a surprise for sure but dug and pulled it out with NO issues. I was amazed that I could run into such a project blindly, and have the tractor/backhoe to pull it out pretty easily.

Amazing equipment.

/ Another backhoe question #44  
Renting is OK for some folks however I
prefer my backhoe here at the house so
when I need it I have it. I have the YT235C
with a backhoe and I put a thumb on it The
thumb might not be as handy as a grapple
but I have hauled big loads of brush and rocks
with the backhoe thumb and I can't justify the
price of a grapple. I use my backhoe almost
every week for some project. The best part
of owning a backhoe is you don't have to drive
to town to rent one if they have one to rent also
you may have to wait in line to just fine out if
they even have one and if they don't you will
just have to wait for a loaner to come back in
and just maybe they will be nice and give you
a call when one returns! Factor in the time and
mileage just to get to the rent it shop and return
my 2 cents

willy

/ Another backhoe question #45  
Willy, I believe you are right on. IMO, those who can or will eventually purchase some kind of equipment, it's imperative to do due diligence when building a machine (if considering new) or determining long term use (even if purchasing used).

That decision can determine how creative and functional that choice can be long term.

At 65 years old, never having use of, owning, or renting anything other than a 15 to 20 Hp Cub cadet, or having a friend use his mini ex to help me install a septic tank, everything I have done is by hand or using non-specific tools for such. I remember mounting up the 7 ft snow plow on the front of the truck in the spring if 2019 and using it to clear the wood from the beach.

It worked... at the cost of a few plastic parts on the truck that got in the way when pushing some good sized logs across the beach.

I realize now that was the day I knew I needed something more than the various tools I was repurposing to get the work done I needed.

Given that, I'm all about attempting to make the most out of any purchase. Making the choice to purchase new AND add the backhoe we're two of the most important things (other than the cab model) that would serve my needs more than I could have ever imagined.

Is it a mini ex? Nope ... it's much much more. The trade off to a full mini ex is big no doubt, but the Swiss Army knife abilities of the ag tractor (as a TLB), in my setting, provides so many capabilities that I have to pinch myself every time I climb in.

I start up that tractor and head into limitless projects with pure enthusiasm, knowing that I can start and finish projects, that as of yet, I can't even begin to put limits on.

I wonder each day why I didn't do this 5, 10, or 20 years ago. All I can say is I'm so glad I finally saw the light and made the investment later in life that could provide so much independence to managing my properties.

Don't wait... be happy! 😄

Don and Carol
it's a Mad Mad Homestead -YouTube

/ Another backhoe question #46  
I also have not read entire thread
Hi there is one thing you may want to check on. I have a back blade for sale. and a guy with a Branson called and because he had a backhoe subframe on he was limited on the with of the 3 point arms to the point where a standard back blade would not work. I am a plus one on owning a BH there is a considerable amount of work like stumps and brush that can be done a little at time as well. I think I have about as much time on the BH as on the loader bucket.
Branson's subframe mount is part of the backhoe. Can't have 3pt things attached at the same time (obviously). Take off the backhoe and there's nothing to interfere at all.

Don't know what "the guy" is talking about, and I doubt he does either.

/ Another backhoe question #47  
I know the "backhoe or not" subject has been discussed many times here. I have read many of the threads. Love all the knowledge here. I seem to read either:
-Everyone is crazy, mine is great
-Waste of money overall

My question is... if I don't expect the BH to be a mini-ex, and I do my projects SLOWLY and CAREFULLY, couldn't I get a lot done?? Manage expectations, but still:
-Dig trenches for power/water lines
-SLOWLY dig stumps
-Little by little pond
-Little by little root cellar
-Footings for barn/house/shop foundation

I have 6.4 acres of heavily wooded raw land that I will be making into a full time homestead from scratch myself. So the BH would get a huge amount of work.
I am buying a Branson 4820H in March. I was quoted $7,500 for the BH. Ballpark an extra $90/month on the loan payment. In my area, a mini ex for a weekend (still work full time, mostly remotely) is ballpark $400 for the weekend. So, about 19 rentals.

If the BH is CAPEABLE of doing things WITH TIME, I would 100% rather take the time and do my projects right, than rent and rush. Not to mention I work on call all over the country, so even scheduling rental is very difficult.

So I guess my main question is: Is a Branson BH250 actually useful when used correctly and personally (no commercial, so length of projects if more or less irrelevant) or would I be better off with a shovel?

Thank you all.
For me a backhoe on my tractor doesn't make a lot of sense. Since I utilize the 3pt hitch attachment for the majority of the work with my tractor.

But versatility is awesome. And these tractor units sure beat using a team of horses like our ancestors had to.

But the question that I'd ask myself is this, Do I really have the time to put up with the much slower pace of a tractor mounted backhoe?

I've run both tractor backhoe and an excavator. An Excavator beats a tractor mounted backhoe every time. A better job is done in a much much shorter time frame.

I think the suggestion to buy a good used excavator and sell it when you are done for similar money is the one I would go with. I'd do lots of research and immerse myself in the excavator buy and sell market to learn what sells better in your area of the Country.

Done properly and with a little luck you might even make money on the deal.

/ Another backhoe question #48  
I know the "backhoe or not" subject has been discussed many times here. I have read many of the threads. Love all the knowledge here. I seem to read either:
-Everyone is crazy, mine is great
-Waste of money overall

My question is... if I don't expect the BH to be a mini-ex, and I do my projects SLOWLY and CAREFULLY, couldn't I get a lot done?? Manage expectations, but still:
-Dig trenches for power/water lines
-SLOWLY dig stumps
-Little by little pond
-Little by little root cellar
-Footings for barn/house/shop foundation

I have 6.4 acres of heavily wooded raw land that I will be making into a full time homestead from scratch myself. So the BH would get a huge amount of work.
I am buying a Branson 4820H in March. I was quoted $7,500 for the BH. Ballpark an extra $90/month on the loan payment. In my area, a mini ex for a weekend (still work full time, mostly remotely) is ballpark $400 for the weekend. So, about 19 rentals.

If the BH is CAPEABLE of doing things WITH TIME, I would 100% rather take the time and do my projects right, than rent and rush. Not to mention I work on call all over the country, so even scheduling rental is very difficult.

So I guess my main question is: Is a Branson BH250 actually useful when used correctly and personally (no commercial, so length of projects if more or less irrelevant) or would I be better off with a shovel?

Thank you all.
If you just want the time on the machine for tractor therapy get the backhoe I have one it's slow but does the job. That being said if you want to get serious work done it's not the best option just go rent something or hire someone else to do that part of the project

/ Another backhoe question
For me a backhoe on my tractor doesn't make a lot of sense. Since I utilize the 3pt hitch attachment for the majority of the work with my tractor.

But versatility is awesome. And these tractor units sure beat using a team of horses like our ancestors had to.

But the question that I'd ask myself is this, Do I really have the time to put up with the much slower pace of a tractor mounted backhoe?

I've run both tractor backhoe and an excavator. An Excavator beats a tractor mounted backhoe every time. A better job is done in a much much shorter time frame.

I think the suggestion to buy a good used excavator and sell it when you are done for similar money is the one I would go with. I'd do lots of research and immerse myself in the excavator buy and sell market to learn what sells better in your area of the Country.

Done properly and with a little luck you might even make money on the deal.
A used mini ex sounds better and better, especially after I've seen the resale. I'll continue to research. Thank you for your input!

/ Another backhoe question #50  
Apparently my last post didn't post. A Dresser/International 175c is not a mini excavator. It weighs about 34,000 lbs. It's like a bulldozer with a bucket instead of a blade. There are plus's and minus's with a machine like this instead of a toy. Moving it from one location to another requires a lowboy truck and trailer, not a pickup truck and tandem axle trailer. Also, get it stuck and you have not just a problem but a "major" problem. Comparing the work capabilities is like a major league baseball player and a kid in little league. If it yours, use it when you want to. Rent it, use it during your rent time and deal with the weather and other responsibilities. If you don't over pay when buying, you should get your money back. I've had my 175c for over 12 years and no major break downs. Probably appreciated in value by 20%. If you break it or tear it up, you might have a very large trotline sinker.