Another Computer Question

/ Another Computer Question #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
I bought a used desktop and am using a Netgear wireless router on another desktop. I bought a generic USB wireless adapter to use on the used desktop that I just bought and when I boot up the used computer, it will connect to the AVG site and update my antivirus, but I can't get it to navigate the internet using my IE browser. If I try to manually update my antivirus it says there is no internet connection. Anybody got a clue, the used computer was used in a business and has Windows 2000 pro and came with the AVG already installed. I have used a Netgear USB wireless adapter from my laptop and it will work fine on the Win 2000 machine, I know sounds goofy. I don't understand why the generic adapter will connect and update my antivirus, but won't connect to anything else.

/ Another Computer Question #2  
A shot in the dark, but you can try the Internet Options to make sure there is no proxy defined, a lot of businesses use them and if you connect them to a network without a proxy most things won't work. It's possible that AVG has a feature/bug that will try without a proxy for automagic updates if the provisioned one times out - or you may have a virus that just makes the software LOOK like it's updating...

In an ideal world you'd have the installation disks and be able to wipe the computer and start from scratch, but I know the kind of world we live in :)

/ Another Computer Question #3  
I agree with JD.. go to internet options and make sure it is even looking for the internet connection on 'the network'.. etc.

soundguy

/ Another Computer Question #5  
If you enter the IP address of your router does your browser connect and display the page? If it does then you are not getting to a DNS. Check your, network connection properties, internet protocol (tcp/ip) properties. Obtain DNS automatically should be checked. If that does not work you can configure one manually as a test.

/ Another Computer Question #6  
milkman said:
Thanks guys, I'll dig around some more, would reformat and install XP Pro be a faster fix?

For this particular problem? Probably not. To get rid of all the weird stuff that has built up as strangers used the PC? I would guess it is if you've got an XP license hanging around. If you're mostly computer literate I would recommend the reformat/reinstall method.

/ Another Computer Question #7  
Did you get a set of Windows 2000 discs with the machine? If you did, I would do a complete reinstall. As already mentioned, if you have a spare XP license, then that would be another option. Reinstalling would give you a known base, and would clean out anything that may be left over from the previous owner. However, that isn't going to guarantee a working wireless connection without more work.

You didn't mention installing any drivers for the USB wireless. Did you do that?

Also, the Netgear router may be blocking your web browsing from the second machine. Networking can be pretty complicated. Wireless networking can be really complicated. From this distance and with the limited information we have about your equipment, it is pretty hard to tell what is going on, other that you have apparent Internet connectivity at some level, since AVG seems to be updating.

/ Another Computer Question
Obtain DNS auto is checked, have installed drivers for the adapter, works fine with the Netgear adapter, installed drivers for generic adapter and it seems to update AVG but will not connect with IE. I even tried deleting Netgear drivers. When the bank sold the computers, they supposedly installed new 80 gig hard drives and installed the OS along with Open Office and AVG. I might try installing the generic adapter on my laptop and see if it will work there.

/ Another Computer Question #9  
Can you get to your router management screen from this PC?
If I had to guess the address I would say that it will be 192.168.x.1
x will be 1,2 or 3

/ Another Computer Question #10  
I bought a Netgear wireless router a few years ago after owning a number of lynksys devices. I couldn't for the life of me get the Netgear router to work, and I've worked in technology all my life. I talked to a couple of other people and found they had run into similar issues. I went out and bought another linksys and within a few minutes everything was working.

A few months later I went back to the Netgear router to give it another try, and after a few hours I threw it out.

Sorry to be bashing a particular brand, but this was my experience.