Another expensive lesson learned

/ Another expensive lesson learned #1  

philshel

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054
It is a very good thing that DePratt Equip. has my credit card info. on file! I apparently managed to bend one of my front wheels at the lug bolts. I did not actually witness the incident but it had to be during the transportation of a large log on the loader. Now it runs out about 1.5”, enough to rub on the steering arm at one point. I guess the lesson here is that because you can lift it doesn’t necessarily mean you should. Jon I’ll be sending you an e-mail requesting a new front wheel for my LK3054.

Phil Adkins

/ Another expensive lesson learned #2  
What size was that log? Hardwood or softwood? Hopefully this is just a warranty issue and you will get help getting it resolved without too much cash outlay. Good luck.

Any pics?

/ Another expensive lesson learned #3  
Jeeshh - that sounds like an expensive repair, I hope it's covered for you.

I fortunately avoided any damage this weekend - but had a similar experience... I had another of my iceberg type rock experiences this weekend. No more than a football sized rock showing when I tried digging it with the FEL - no go! Turned around so the BH would pull it out and my tractor pulled itself towards the rock instead. When I finally got it out it was as wide as my FEL and about 16" thick. My first attempt at loading and lifting it resulted in the left rear wheel coming off the ground... and keep in mind, that's with a BH for counter-balance rear weight. I dropped it and re-positioned it to try again. When I got it lifted this time I couldn't get it more than 2' off the ground. Good thing too, it was obviously granite, our yard is loaded with it. When I dropped this rock on my pile, my right front wheel had sunk about 8" into the ground. I didn't notice it till I pulled away - that was without a doubt the heaviest thing I've lifted with the FEL. I can easily see how you could cause damage if the front end is overloaded, and the terrain isn't very flat.

/ Another expensive lesson learned #4  
I have a LK3054. Are your front wheels turned around so that they widen the front end? Just wondering. The manual says not to. I've hauled some very heavy stuff in my loader, but I'm always very careful and slow with it. The most weight I've hauled is pea gravel. Amazing how much that stuff weights in a 5 foot bucket.

thx
Jim

/ Another expensive lesson learned
Just some follow up to your replies. It is unfortunately not under warranty. I bought the tractor used. It is a 2000 with about 150 hrs. The logs are between 6’-10’ in length and about 20”-30” in diameter Ponderosa pine. I’ll try to post some pictures latter. I was barely able to get some of the logs off the ground with the loader, actually had to use the terrain to help the bucket curl which should have told me not to do it. I have no problem with ballast. I have a very cool York rake/grader blade/retractable scarfers unit on the rear. It is a monster and has an additional 180lbs on it. I also have the tires filled. My property is steep in places (precipice is a better description) so I believe in keeping all four tires in contact with terra firma at all times.

My front tires are not turned around. I’m sure that the damage occurred as I was turning from the trail out of the woods to my driveway which is a moderate up grade from the trail. And of course it IS possible that I had a faulty/damaged wheel to begin with.

Here are some photos. This one is of the offending logs.

Attachments

• 496179-logs.jpg
    496179-logs.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 345
These next two are of the wheel runout.

Attachments

• 496180-runout1.jpg
    496180-runout1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 316
And number 2.

Attachments

• 496181-runout2.jpg
    496181-runout2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 285
   / Another expensive lesson learned #9  
Those are some very large logs. I was moving some about that size but I pulled them.

Jim