Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread.

/ Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread. #21  
I guess I need to remove the cover! When the draft control lever is all the way to the rear, the arms go come up. If the lever is moved down, the arms go down even if the position control lever is to the rear. Must be a problem! Now my problem will be getting it fixed in a timely manner. Thanks for the help, and Kid, I found your pictures on page 20 of the rebuild. Thanks again, Dan
Pulling the cover is no simple task. It is extremely heavy and using a hoist is the safest way. There are other issued to be address and disconnected before removing the lid or you will Open a proverbial can of worms. Most basic service manuals covers procedures before removing the cover. You obviously have a linkage problem or a clogged hydraulic line, valve or other issues.-kid

/ Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread. #22  
Depending on how mechanically minded you are removal of the top conver is not a terribly complicated process but it is EXTREMELY heavy and awkward to remove. Having done it by hand I would suggest two people, or even better an engine hoist or block and tackle type set-up to remove it. You will need a manual of course, there's no avoiding that.

If you are blessed with smaller hands some of the suggestions made regarding working / looking through side covers is good advice, I unfortunately found it difficult to do with gorilla hands so I had to go with the removal. In the end I'm glad I did, I was able to give everything a good look and thoroughly clean / inspect the entire sump area and pump / linkages etc.

/ Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread. #23  
G'day last chance.
The Massey 35 when new did not have a hydraulic filter ,It was possible to buy a filter KIT and with a slight modificaltion to the control valve housing the kit could be retrofitted.
You are on the right track ,looking at the videos,the main problem is in the toplink ,draft spring assembly.
To remove ,first remove the alen headed Capscrews ,one each side of the yoke,these are the screws that the toplink Pivots on,remove them,then on then left hand side of the lift cover there is a small alen grub screw that locks the draft nut and stops it coming loose ,take the grub screw out and undo the large NUT with the groves in it ,the nut is about 2.1/2 inches diameter and you will find that the only way to get it out is to heat and drive it round with a dull chisel and patience.
When you have removed the assembly you will find that everything in there is seized and most likely need to be replaced.
To assemble and adjust the draft link assembly, install the draft rod with the cup ,spring into the yoke the end of the draft rod has a cross which allows you to tighten the spring with a screwdriver,tighten ONLY TILL THE SPRING IS HARD TO TURN BY HAND no more the line up the slots with the hole in the yoke, fit the locking pin ,thoroughly clean the threads on the lift cover ,lubricate and install the draft toplink assembly ,TIGHTEN THE BIG NUT UNTIL THE ASSEMBLY IS TIGHT , KEEP TIGHTENING TILL THE SPRING BECOMES LOOSE AND RATTLES IN THERE ,THEN LOOSEN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS TIGHT AGAIN with this done refit and tighten the small grub screw, fit the forks and give it a try , the forks should lift 1000kg or just lift the front wheels of the ground if not try adjusting the big nut just a little bit no more than one quarter turn see if that makes any difference .
Try that and let me know how you went and if you need more information let me know.
Regards.
Hutch.

/ Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread.
G'day last chance.
The Massey 35 when new did not have a hydraulic filter ,It was possible to buy a filter KIT and with a slight modificaltion to the control valve housing the kit could be retrofitted.
You are on the right track ,looking at the videos,the main problem is in the toplink ,draft spring assembly.
To remove ,first remove the alen headed Capscrews ,one each side of the yoke,these are the screws that the toplink Pivots on,remove them,then on then left hand side of the lift cover there is a small alen grub screw that locks the draft nut and stops it coming loose ,take the grub screw out and undo the large NUT with the groves in it ,the nut is about 2.1/2 inches diameter and you will find that the only way to get it out is to heat and drive it round with a dull chisel and patience.
When you have removed the assembly you will find that everything in there is seized and most likely need to be replaced.
To assemble and adjust the draft link assembly, install the draft rod with the cup ,spring into the yoke the end of the draft rod has a cross which allows you to tighten the spring with a screwdriver,tighten ONLY TILL THE SPRING IS HARD TO TURN BY HAND no more the line up the slots with the hole in the yoke, fit the locking pin ,thoroughly clean the threads on the lift cover ,lubricate and install the draft toplink assembly ,TIGHTEN THE BIG NUT UNTIL THE ASSEMBLY IS TIGHT , KEEP TIGHTENING TILL THE SPRING BECOMES LOOSE AND RATTLES IN THERE ,THEN LOOSEN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS TIGHT AGAIN with this done refit and tighten the small grub screw, fit the forks and give it a try , the forks should lift 1000kg or just lift the front wheels of the ground if not try adjusting the big nut just a little bit no more than one quarter turn see if that makes any difference .
Try that and let me know how you went and if you need more information let me know.
Regards.
Hutch.

My latest experiment of bypassing the draft spring did not make a difference. I get a couple pallets, and myself, total weight about 400 pounds and it starts to go down slow. When I turn the tractor off, the forks drop in about 30 seconds.

This is with both levers all the way back. I suspect Big Bill is awaiting inside?

I'm mechanicaly inclined, is there anything else to check? At this point, would checking the pressure at the fitting under the seat tell me anything, or does she have to come apart?

/ Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread. #25  
G'Day Last Chance.
Take the right hand sideplate of ,that is the one the transmission dipstick is fitted to,if the oil level is good there will be a little bit of oil leaking oiut of the bottom bolt hole ,refit the bolt loose.
Start the tractor and run on idle set the Draft lever to the UP position then operate the hydraulic position control lever up and down ,watching what it is doing,The hydraulic system uses a cam on the internal linkage to READ the position of the linkage,watch when the lift arms come to the transport position and you should see the control lever bring the control valve into the NEUTRAL /TRANSPORT position.

When the linkage is in this position,carefully operate the pump control valve lever by hand and see if the linkage will raise any better ,if it does turn the engine of and feel down into the oil ,follow the control valve operating lever and you will feel the lever adjusting nut,using a 7/16 a/f ring spanner loosen/undo the nyloc nut say one half to one turn no more start the tractor and see if there is any difference in operation.

This will tell you if the INTERNAL linkage is out of adjustment,you may be lucky and get a satisfactory result by doing this ,if not the lift cover will have to be removed and ALL internal/external adjustments carried out as per service manual.
hope this is of some help.
happy days.
Hutch.

/ Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread.
Ok. Pump is shot. Serial number is 16133. Near as I can tell there aint a lot of pumps to fit this early model. Found an aftermarket on Ebay that says it fits all. Do the newer pumps go backwards?

/ Another Ferguson35 hydraulics won't work right thread. #27  
G'day Last Chance.
This did not tell me a lot except that you say the "pump is shot" are you really asking for advice??.

Why would you ask if the pump can run "Backwards"!!!!.
No, There aint a lot of pumps fit the 35 ,there is only one and thats a Mark One pump, some others will "fit" but they will not operate.
There are maybe six or seven different Scotch Yoke pumps all specifically manufactured for the Massey 100/200 and some 300 series tractors.
ooroo .
Hutch.