Another Ford starter issue

/ Another Ford starter issue #1  

mad_planter

Silver Member
I've got a Ford 250c (50 hp 3 cylinder diesel) That has a starter issue. When its colder outside (in the 40's) The starter spins the engine for a few revolutions and then just whirs. If I plug it in and heat it up it usually starts without issues or at most will do the same thing a couple of times and then the 3rd time I try it starts. The problem seems related to how hard it is to turn over.

I'd rather not replace the whole starter if its just a solenoid or something needs replaced.

/ Another Ford starter issue #3  
Mine has done the same thing for 30 years although the temperature needs to be below 25 fahrenheit for it to happen. I've always gotten it to start, usually just needing 30 seconds of glow plugs. Basically I learned to live with it.

/ Another Ford starter issue #4  
If the starter continues to whir your solenoid is engaged to give it electrical power. Your Bendix may be shot.

/ Another Ford starter issue
brand new battery.

It didn't do this when I first got it, and glow plugs don't really help very much by themselves.

I was thinking that as well, but was hoping for confirmation before buying just this part and having it not help.

/ Another Ford starter issue #8  
From: I have a 199 Ford 25C 3 cyl diesel and am having starting problems. I have been having issues for a while, I would
A lot of the times this is related to a poor connection in the wiring somewhere if the battery and starter, as well as your solenoid check good. Even high resistance from corrosion in the wiring or connector pins can cause similar symptoms such as this. I recommend cleaning up any corrosion that you find in your wiring as well as any loose cramps or terminal ends on your wiring or connector pins.

/ Another Ford starter issue #9  
If after cleaning and checking your cables over good you could pull a voltage drop test to verify the cables quality.
Also if you remove the starter and check out bendix it could have some heaver grease and collected garbage which is keeping the bendix from driving all the way in.

Thanks all, I'll tear into it and see what I find.