Another Grapple

/ Another Grapple
MJPetersen said:
That looks like it is one very successful project. When I saw the pics of the barrels I had a vision of what would happen if you REALLY clamped down on a full barrel. :eek: I must be destructive by nature!!!:D

Mike

I had the same thoughts at first. I tried it on an empty barrel first, and found that the barrels were faily strong. I used to unload the barrels by wrapping a chain around the barrels and then moving them to the final location (this was a 2 person job). By using the grapple I just drive up to the barrel, open the grapple, curl the bucket so it partially matched the angle of the barrel, slowly move in till I make contact with the barrel, close the grapple, curl back, and drive away. (no second person required:D )

Kurt

/ Another Grapple #12  
Very nice, beautiful welds, inspirational. GREAT job.
Thanks for sharing.

Joe

/ Another Grapple #13  
Excellent job! Great workmanship....

One suggestion on your bucket, you may want to consider adding a 3/8" or there abouts C channel to the top. I did this on mine and it made the top of the bucket incredibly strong. Now I have a box beam for the top not just a piece of flat plate.

I wish my grapple tongs were 1/2 inch. They are only 5/16 and tend to twist a bit when I pick up 10 inch logs. I'm going to add gusset plates above the square tubing as well as the ones that are below. I think this will prevent the twisting.

Very well done project.

Glenn.

/ Another Grapple
Glenn,

I have been watching the top of the bucket. I had thought about adding reinforcement to the top of the bucket but I am trying to keep weight to a minimum. I am trying to keep the logs cut to around 8' - 10' and most everything else is brush.

The other thing with the top of this bucket it actually box design. 2 layers with about a 1/2" gap between them. The first sign of an issue should be the bolts loosening, and then again with me luck...

Kurt

/ Another Grapple #15  
KAB:

I couldn't tell from the picture that your bucket top was already a box design. You have the best of both worlds then. I find with the box design as a top it's like a tank. I push over trees with mine...seriously, although they are somewhat pulled up already.

One other thing that the fellows on the forum suggested, that I did, was to angle the bucket hooks about 15 degrees toward the center of the bucket. That was you eliminate most to the torsional stress when using a chain loop toward the middle. I have found this works really well. Just another suggestion.

I'm building another mount system for my existing grapple as well I want to build a root rake and then I can incorporate two grapples on the root rake. The are some distinct advantages to the double grapple system when dealing with tree stumps. I have a few of these around that I have to deal with.

Enjoy your grapple. I sure love mine, it is a great toy....er tool.

Glenn.
East Texas.

/ Another Grapple #16  
KAB, excellant job on the grapple. Wonder if you could tell me more about how you tied in the hydraulics, and what you used for a control valve and where you mounted it. I am running a CK20 as well and a grapple and thumb for my backhoe are on my list of things to do. Thanks much

/ Another Grapple
Glenn,

The chain hooks are angled in. At what degree ??. Yes, that was a lesson learned here on TBN and the second mod. right after the tooth bar.

For me the grapple has been nothing but a tool. It has saved a lot of time moving brush, logs, and 55 gal water drums. Although a dedicated unit looks like it would work better for most of what I am doing, the bolt on ones are definate advantage for anybody doing this type of work.

Kurt

/ Another Grapple
GLMF,

The complete answer to your question is another post that I need to start one of these days. To give you an idea first I added rear hydraulics to make connecting the BH a bit easier (this actually started everything else) as seen here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/95910-ck20-rear-remote-install.html .

Then I added the Hydraulic Top Link, Built the grapple, ordered the hydraulic cylinder, dual action manual diverter valve, lots of fittings, hoses, and quick connects from surplus center and then I made a bracket to make the grapple cylinder work as a tilt cylinder for the 3ph. I still have a few pictures and adjustments to make prior to posting what was done.

Hope this helps for now. Now that the driveway is in I should get a chance to post what was done to make it all work.

Kurt

/ Another Grapple #19  
What size cylinder did you use on the grapple?

Thanks

/ Another Grapple
I used this Surplus Center Item Detail cylinder from surplus center. By changing some mounting positions and angles I could have used a different cylinder. I would have preferred a larger diameter cylinder but this also doubles as a rear Tilt cylinder when not being used for the grapple.

Kurt