Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #171  
The MX Series Brushhog mowers do have some serious gearbox issues that JD is trying hard to ignore. There are companies out there duplicating these shafts for much cheaper than JD parts.

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #172  
I hate to revive this post. I was aware.of the problem. And hoped.I was immune. I was cutting overgrown dog fennel and ragweed. The pics is after I flipped it over in the dirt, other wise it all would have been clean metal. Broke below and above the c-clip groove. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't include John Deere. It's an older model, but I haven't put more than 50 hours on it, granted some of them hard hours but slip it h was always properly adjusted, even on the loose side because those replacement disks are a lot cheaper than a gearbox. It looked brand new when I bought it. serial# W00mx6x017219

Attachments

• 20231216_133006.jpg
    20231216_133006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 20231216_133413.jpg
    20231216_133413.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20231202_160220.jpg
    20231202_160220.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
   / Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #173  
I hate to revive this post. I was aware.of the problem. And hoped.I was immune. I was cutting overgrown dog fennel and ragweed. The pics is after I flipped it over in the dirt, other wise it all would have been clean metal. Broke below and above the c-clip groove. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't include John Deere. It's an older model, but I haven't put more than 50 hours on it, granted some of them hard hours but slip it h was always properly adjusted, even on the loose side because those replacement disks are a lot cheaper than a gearbox. It looked brand new when I bought it. serial# W00mx6x017219
I broke one of these a few years back. That had a made in Spain gearbox which is supposed to be the better of the two. I think the other box is made in China or Mexico. I also bought one of those MX6 decks with a broken shaft in it. I found a replacement for it on EBay. I sold that one and bought the made in Spain deck only to shear the shaft just like yours a few months later. I replaced that one with another new gear set from Ebay. That was a few years back. So far it has been good. Looking at your shaft, that has been cracked for awhile and worked itself back and forth until the very center oval area let go. Look on Ebay for a new gear set. I read about another gearbox that can be fitted to work on these mowers. It will take modifications. I believe the entire box is cheaper than a gear set. Just Google MX6 gearbox substitute or replacement.

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #174  
I broke one of these a few years back. That had a made in Spain gearbox which is supposed to be the better of the two. I think the other box is made in China or Mexico. I also bought one of those MX6 decks with a broken shaft in it. I found a replacement for it on EBay. I sold that one and bought the made in Spain deck only to shear the shaft just like yours a few months later. I replaced that one with another new gear set from Ebay. That was a few years back. So far it has been good. Looking at your shaft, that has been cracked for awhile and worked itself back and forth until the very center oval area let go. Look on Ebay for a new gear set. I read about another gearbox that can be fitted to work on these mowers. It will take modifications. I believe the entire box is cheaper than a gear set. Just Google MX6 gearbox substitute or replacement.
I replaced the shaft, but by the time got parts and got it all back together was told could have purchased a new aftermarket gear box for less. So far has had no issues after several years of use.

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #175  
I replaced the shaft, but by the time got parts and got it all back together was told could have purchased a new aftermarket gear box for less. So far has had no issues after several years of use.
I read that the aftermarket gearbox is not a drop in item. Which brand of gearbox was this?

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #176  
I read that the aftermarket gearbox is not a drop in item. Which brand of gearbox was this?
Just seeing this for some reason.

The guy that did the repair work was the one who suggested would have been cheaper to just replace the gear box. He does quite a bit of fabrication on equipment. We never discussed which gear box as I already had the gear set. Very possible any modification required would not have seemed an issue to him.