Another new pole barn

/ Another new pole barn #11  
The problem with bolts through a board is that you just never know when the board will split. This happens because all of the load is carried at the point of the bolt, which is usually in the middle of the piece of lumber. When the board is resting on something, the full width of the board is being used for strength. While bolts have been used for years and even decades without fail, some do fail and because you don't want to take a gamble that it will be yours that fails, you shouldn't use a bolt in a load bearing application.

Attaching a board to the side of a post or another board to act as a jack stud or support is done all the time and from everything I know, seems to be code in a lot of applications. I honestly don't understand why. In my opinion, the load should be carried by solid wood all the way down to the foundation. If it's something critical and I want it to last, I'll dig a hole and pour more concrete. Notching is my favorite way to support a load. Jack studs are the next best way, and if you can't do either, metal brackets designed for that load are well proven and code everywhere that I know of.

The secret to framing is imagining that every piece of wood you install is held in place by gravity. The nails or fasteners are just there to keep it in place, not support anything. So every board should be resting on top of another board. If there was no wind, you should be able to put them in place without a fastener. If it wont stay there on it's own, then you are either doing it wrong, or you are missing something that needs to be there.

Eddie

/ Another new pole barn #12  
I have heard of using bolts (or even threaded rod) with either split rings or spike grids

Shear Plates / Split Rings / Spike Grids On Cleveland Steel

Note that the rings need a special cutter to cut into the post and rafter, and the grids need a hydraulic clamp to become fully embedded. The bolts then are simply keeping these pieces together, and still aren't acting in shear.

/ Another new pole barn
Eddy,

Thanks for the information and simplifying it. Explaining it the way you did about framing and gravity makes all the sense in the world. I also looked up what info I could find on the IRC website. It only mentioned about decks, but still not to use just bolts like I have. Either setting the boards on top of the post, notching the post or using jack studs to carry the load is the prescribed way.

As I mentioned, I have some 24" boards under some of the rafters, I'll be adding jack studs to help support the second story loft. If needed, I'll add additional concrete around the base of the post for the studs to sit on.

I'll add some more pics soon, I've been nursing a head cold and haven't gotten much done lately other then sheathing one "wing" of the roof. I need to mill out some more 2x6's so I can finish framing the other sections of roof and get that covered prior to winter.

Thanks for all the input so far.....................