Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?"

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #21  
Mow the yard as well...4 acres, all clear with very little if any landscape to circle about. Will have a push mower for anything "iffy".

Can't afford ZRT and tractor, so tractor is the better bet imho.

For that, I would be looking at something along the lines of a B3030 or its equivalent in another brand.

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #22  
The Kubota L3700SU I bought fits that HP range nicely. There are a number of posts where I and a few others who have bought it recently have extolled the virtures of this machine. They are all within the last couple months, so should be easy to find. :thumbsup: No pressure. ;)

Yes, the L3700SU Kubota is a great deal.

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #23  
If the tractor is going to be the only mower you use you need to consider the type of ground you have as well. I have almost the same property you mention as far as woods/meadow but a bit more driveway. If I was only using my tractor (Kioti CK30) to cut my grass around the house I would have to wait a couple of weeks longer every year until the ground firmed up a bit or I would leave tracks in our clay soil, so I would have gotten something a bit lighter if that was it's primary use. As was mentioned before, a smaller (30HP) tractor can do most of what a larger on can do it just takes longer. I have used mine to shape and maintain my property for 5 years now and have never wished for anything larger, if it was it would not be as easy to get into the woods or fit between trees when I maintain the trails. I guess what I am trying to say is to size the tractor for it's primary use, but don't go too small that it can't handle the other chores as well even if it takes a bit longer.

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #24  
I'll agree with everyone that size does matter.

I recently purchased a B3300SU. It's an awesome little tractor with a lot of ability, but I'm already wishing I purchased a larger tractor. There are several things I've tried to lift that I can't lift. I was finally able to move a lot of the gravel I was working with by adding some rear weight, but it still doesn't have the capacity I want.

If you even THINK you want something larger, buy something larger. Lifting capacity isn't that much by the time you figure in bucket or fork weight. You are basically only able to pick up a few hundred pounds. I'll probably be trading in my new B3300SU or picking up a skid steer with a large capacity.

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #25  
I would think most family tractors as you say would have between 30 and 100 hrs annually. You will find that the age of tractors is not as important as hours and condition. You are on the right track so far.:thumbsup:

If your ground is open as you say and the primary task is mowing then consider a new Deere 3038 with 0% loan. Not much more money than you wanted to spend and you would have a warranty too.

Last edited:
   / Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #26  
I think too many people on this site are hung up on the bigger is better thing. 15 ac is not a large piece of property, IMO the B series Kubota, smaller JD compact tractors, etc would work very well. Something in the 25-30 engine HP range, that would handle a 4-5' bush hog, 5-6' finishing mower, 5' box blade, etc.

We are on 200ac and the two tractor listed in my sig are all I have. 150ac is wooded, and about 20-25ac are in hay (use the old Ford and Kubota to make all my hay). We do bring in either my fathers 65hp JD or 95hp Kubota to make some round bales however.

If you are looking at older tractors, the B2710, B2910, and B7800 Kubota would be good, or 770, 870, 970, 790, 755, 855, 955 John Deere. Stay away from the 4X00 series JD's, they had some Major problems that weren't worked out until later models. If they were well maintained 2000+ hrs is nothing to worry about.

I will second what you have said. I maintain 713.5 ac with a 26 hp Mahindra. One plot is a 250 ac of leased hunting land with a couple miles of trail to clip once a year. 400 ac is leased hunting land with many miles of trails and a few old loading spots to clip once a year. 62 ac are family land with about 15 to 20 ac of open fields that I clip once or twice a year. I also maintain trails using the FEL and BB and plan to start growing wildlife food plots. The other 1.5 ac is in town at my house where I move gravel and mulch and till a small garden.

The task(s) to be performed should be more of a factor than acreage when selecting a tractor.

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #27  
I only have 5 acres, but also made the mistake of buying too small a tractor to start with. I went from a JD 2320 to a 3320, wish I had done that to begin with.

I've run farm machinery, built hot rods, driven trucks, raced karts with my kids, and the one statement that I've NEVER made is; "wow, I've got too much power!"

This really made me chuckle! And I agree 100%

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #28  
Omnipotent,
I have 3 acres that I currently use a Ford 1700 (gear and R1 tires) and 5 ft RFM to mow. Because I have a fair number of trees I also have a 42 in lawn tractor to trim. I used an 8N prior to the 1700. The R1 tires tens to tear and rut easier than a R4 industrial or turf tire would. The old iron would work just fine if you have time/inclination to tinker/work on it as needed. You mentioned a 1720 in your first post, I would think that would work well for you especially if 4WD. If your soil is soft you will probably need turf tires otherwise I would recommend R4 tires and use chains to augment traction as needed.

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #29  
Sounds like everybody is post good advice. Not so much as to haw many ac one has as to what you will be doing will it. I will say tho, if you think u need a 30 hrp tractor buy a 40. always better to have more than you need rather than finding out later you wished you would have went bigger.

/ Another Newbie has question on "Does size matter?" #30  
Trying to decide what size tractor would be a best fit for me.really can't decide if bigger really is better. Tractors I've been looking at are:Omni
There are only 3 sizes :
To Small
To BiG
About Right