Another Newbie

/ Another Newbie #21  
Yep RayBee, looks like a keeper. By the way getting the stumps out is only part of the problem. What do you do with them ?

/ Another Newbie #22  
Hi,

What I try to do is keep them in the hole, by pushing them over and covering them if I can. Let them turn into soil on their own, and I use what extra dirt I might have somewhere else if I need it, or spread it around on top of the filled hole.

Works for me.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Another Newbie #23  
slowrev:Disposal is always a problem. I'm fortunate, (sometimes ), I have a low section on my property that I use for stump and rocky fill that might never be topped off. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif But I'm trying .....RayBee /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Another Newbie #24  
You guys are doing serious work with those Kabota BH'S. I bought a Mahindra w/ Bradco backhoe (Bradco=the best). Dose'nt Kabota make all their own backhoes? The fit/finish of these machines therefore 2nd to none? Although tractor HP determines the overall BH strength, I believe Kabota hydraulic pumps are much higher capacity than most. Dosen't this make quicker work of things?

/ Another Newbie #25  
Grub,
Kubota does make their own backhoes. They are made in the US. I really don't have any frame of reference, because this is the only backhoe I have ever owned, or operated. It is a 3pt. with self contained pto driven hydraulics. I know there are different schools of thought on this, but I liked the simplicity of not having to open the main tractor hydraulics every time I removed or installed it. Probably not a big deal, but it seemed cleaner. Taking it off and on has been quite a learning experience. The first time I took it off it took me close to an hour to put it back on. The second time 30 minutes, third time about 15 minutes and my best time so far is just under 5 minutes. Just like anything else, there is a real trick to taking them off and on. Anyway, this is a long winded reply that basically says, for the the "weekend warrior", like myself, it is more than adequate and very simple to operate, after you learn how to use it.

Greg

/ Another Newbie #26  
Eric,
The used or new question is really dependent on what the used market is in your area. I'd also like to comment on my experience with "cost justification". We have a large landscaping project we wanted to do and I have always wanted a tractor. One day we were driving down the road and saw a little OLD Ford garden tractor with a loader for $3500. My wife wanted me to get it right then and there. We started talking a little more about what we really wanted. From there it moved to 4wd, and eventually a backhoe because someday she wants me to install a small swimming pool. So our budget went from 3500 to 10k right away. After watching the used market, we found out we weren't even close. So it kept inching up. Finally we realized that the tractor is basically part of the house. It is a long term investment that is probably the most important tool you can own with property like ours. So, after a recent refinance we had a sizeable credit line on our home equity loan. We decided to get the tractor that best fit our needs and will last us many years. The used market in our area is so high, I have seen used for the same price as new. The only thing you save is sales tax. It was a no brainer to go new. The tricky part was the "cost justification" process. Once we decided it was long term and part of the house, the decision was easy. If I was building a home right now, I would definately think about getting a tractor to help with the construction and look for the longest term financing possible. Hope this helps and have fun with your shopping.

Greg

/ Another Newbie
Greg, I have looked for "Grey" dealers dealers in North East PA and have not found to many. So that obviously is going to push me to look at new equipment. And there are not a heck of a lot of them in that neck of the woods. Never the less, I think that after digesting all the info on this site I have pretty well convinced myself that new is the way that I should go. As far as justifying the cost it appears that if one takes good care of the machine (which I am a real bug on) and if you had to sell it, the depreation would be minimal. So, I guess that I will be looking at Kioti and Kubota (gulp,gulp)

/ Another Newbie #28  
Eric,
Good luck and have fun. Take your time and you'll know when the right machine comes along. I'm sure it will end up being a good investment for you.

Greg

/ Another Newbie #29  
OH MY GOD! The first time I put my backhoe back on took about 2 Hrs. Temp below freezing and the cold steel sapping all my finger warmth. The main problem was where I took it off. In the middle of a muddy, rutted, slopping work area with the swing set to the side , not in line. Yes, I am an Idiot but have no experience doing these things, first tractor. Stabilizer worked its way under a big root and I had to chop it out without hitting crome hydraulic parts. The thing came off in 5 mintes and I thought this backhoe is easy. I will never take it off in anything but level stable ground again. I will improve that 2 hrs by a shattering personel record.