Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question)

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #21  
I have a 25 acre parcel with about an 850' drive and around six mowable acres. I have the HST version of the L5030. I started with a L3830 and wasn't happy with its performance - I wanted to be able to pull a tiller that would cover the tractor tires (novel concept, eh?) and was repeatedly told my "little" 3830 couldn't do the job and I would be happier with a 5' tiller. I now have a 6' Woods tiller, a 6' bush hog, an 11' rhino finish mower, a FEL with home made bolt-on tooth bar on a self-reinforced material moving (not HD) bucket, the BH90 backhoe with a 36" and 18" bucket, forks, a 7' or 8' Rhino rear HD blade, an 8' LandPride power rake, a Bobcat front snow blade, and something I am probably forgetting right now.

I never struggle with inadequate power (well, maybe some extra lifting force on the FEL would be nice...). Go bigger and you won't regret it. Everything, including the tractor and the trailer it came on, either came through eBay or Craigslist. I cannot imagine doing what I do with a BX, nor could I imagine paying the dealers prices. As others have stated, I see a ZTR mower in my future for around the house. For now, a little Murray 52" "garden tractor" takes care of me on that front.

The HST makes driving the tractor much nicer, especially for FEL work and if I ever want the possibility of my wife not being scared of using it.

Good luck!

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question)
I've finally made time to post a reply to all of your responses which I appreciate very much. Through a great deal more research I've decided on a B2620 w/FEL and 60" MMM. The lowest quote so far is $14,900 w/o tax from a fourth dealer and I am going to check tomorrow with a fifth, the dealer in Richmond, KY recommended in this thread. I have taken everyone's suggestions into consideration in addition to a lot of additonal information from other posts.

I have read many times that I need to decide which tractor I will need and go one size bigger. I wish I had that luxury, but the new tractor payment combined with a new house payment, making infinite improvements on the house we are closing on this week, student loan payments, a car payment and trying to start a family I just don't feel comfortable spending any more than what this setup will cost me at 0% (yes, even considering the new financing). I have no idea what a child will cost but I know that daycare alone will cost us about what our current car and insurance payment combined will cost (roughly $500/month) and that is if we only have one! Sorry to get off subject.

Probably the posts that gave me the most comfort in my decision were the ones that state "you can do anything with a small tractor that you can with a bigger one, it will just take more time." I have thoroughly thought about my plans for the property and I don't see any limiting factors of the B2620 (except maybe taking more time). I have checked the specs on implements on Land Pride's website and I feel that the B2620 will handle all the implements I will need for the work I intend to do.

As for the heavy earthwork, i.e. hauling in soil and building berms, I should have known that would take a dozer and I will probably rent one when the time comes for that work. All the other work I believe I could do with this tractor and some tasks will take more time, but I am willing to spend more time on the tractor to save money.

I have searched Tractor House, ELS, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. for used tractors similar to or a little larger than what I have decided to buy (within this region). It seems that the equipment either has more hours than I am comfortable with, they look very weathered or in some cases very rusted, or by the time I finance something with reasonable hours with interest the difference in what I will end up paying in the long run will make the difference saved by buying used (financed) vs. new with 0% financing a moot point.

I do have one more question prior to sealing the deal and I have read plenty of posts about this subject but I still haven't made up my mind. Do I have the tires filled? I plan on having the tractor fitted with R-4's and I will be mowing a lot of grass, but I also know I will be doing quite a bit of FEL work. I have had a box blade pretty much donated to the cause which I could use as a counter weight while doing FEL work, I'm just not sure what size it is yet or how much it weighs.

My wife's uncle currently mows the yard with a BX2350 w/R-4's and 60" MMM so I know the tires won't tear the yard up, I am just concerned about the extra weight rutting the yard up. I do plan on removing the FEL while mowing for several reasons including extra weight on the yard while mowing, preserving the integrity of the front end, etc. I do plan on using rim guard if I decide to fill due to corrosion problems with calcium.

Again, thank you all for your input and I apologize that it took me so long to reply....it's been a very busy time for us. We are supposed to close on the house on the fourth and I hope to be buying the B on the fifth. It may take me a little while to reply due to our hectic schedules but I will reply eventually. I will definitely be posting pics of the purchase as time permits. Thanks again....SH

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #23  
I feel that a 7800 will meet all your needs. I started out looking at a BX2300 and the more I thought about it the more I keep going toward the B series. All the things that you mention that you would need to do will be done well with the B7800. I have 3030 but was going to get the 7800 until a used 3030 with 4.5 hrs became available. I couldn't pass up the price. 5500 cheaper than the best bid on a new one and 3500 cheaper that the best bid on a 7800. IF I was you I would look around for a used one. Hire someone to cut your grass a couple times and take your time and find used tractor for heck of alot less. Alot guys buy these tractors feel they need a new bigger one and end up dumping there tractors for thousands less than what they bought them for. Big boys need bigger toys. I did it with a zero turns and thankfully I learned my lesson. I bet you can find a great 3030 or 7800(with 100 hrs or less) with all the implements you want for not much more than a new bx2300. By the way 100 hrs is nothing on these mowers.

Good luck

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #24  
Shaft,

I don't think you will regret the purchase. I have 17.5 acres and my B2320 is handling the job and I don't regret the purchase. I did not load the tires because I was concerned about my yard also. I think it hinders my loader and box blading a little, but I spend most of my time mowing and my yard was my primary concern. It is nothing that I haven't been able to deal with. It really just depends on the person and needs. I think that you will find the 2620 to be very versatile. I eventually want to get a larger tractor and a ZTR mower also, but I also believe in staying out of debt. Multiple tractors would be nice, but 10 tractors won't do you any good if the bank comes and takes them away. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #25  
I am not sure that anyone commented on your tax question. I am not familiar with the Kentucky sales tax rules, but I suspect that they aren't too much different than our rules.

Generally you don't have to pay sales tax on a product if you are going to resell the product (inventory for a business). Farmers are usually exempt from the sales tax on equipment used in farming (goods for resale). Owning more than 10 acres would not necessarily be an indication that you are a farmer, nor would I think that would be an automatic exemption.

I would say this, if the dealer is not going to charge you the sales tax, I wouldn't argue with him because he is the one taking the chance.

If he asks you to sign a statement that you use the equipment in a farming for profit business to avoid the sales tax, you would be committing fraud if you did so, which is a crime.

Some states levy a personal (not realty property) property tax on equipment and inventory used in business. Perhaps farming is exempt from that tax in Kentucky.

On the size of the tractor...someone earlier said figure out what you need and go one size bigger. Others indicated bigger is better. Normally I would subscribe to that philosophy, but I have changed my mine when it comes to tractors. When they delivered my tractor I said to my wife, "I thought it was bigger than that". Now I realize that smaller is more maneuverable, which is a highly desirable characteristic when working in small, tight areas. Also smaller costs less. Get just what you need, no more, or less.

Last edited: