Another Orange or Green?

/ Another Orange or Green? #1  

Okiesprayguy

New here to TBN. Have enjoyed reading for a while now. I'm in the process of selling my mf35 gas. I am looking to move up to a 4x4 with a loader.

I test drove a JD 3203 hydro with 17hrs ($15000), a Kubota L3400 gear with 391 hrs($12500), a new kioti ck35($16100) and a new bobcat ct235($16300).

My budget is up to $15000. I am leaning towards either a used L3400hst or used jd3203. The reason being that sometimes I have a tendency to not keep things forever and JD or Kubota should hold their value better than some other brands. Not trying to start an arguement with that statement, just my observation in this area.

I will maintain about 15 acres with this tractor. I have 5, my neighbor has 10 and I sometimes plant 2-3 acres of melons on another place. I have a 5' brushhog, 5' box blade, 5' angle blade, 70" tiller, gin pole, cultivator, post hole digger and a 2 row planter.

Anybody have an opinion on the 3203 vs L3400 for these applications and at these prices (13-15000). I know the 3203 has less hp but it has more weight and wider wheelbase. Any advice is welcome, looking to do something in the next 2-4 weeks.

/ Another Orange or Green? #2  
The L3400 only has a quarter inching 3PH.

/ Another Orange or Green?
Is anyone else running a 70"-72" tiller with a 32-35 hp (25-28 hp pto) tractor. I know thats pushing the limit, but I only use it for about 3-4 hours a year. The mf35 handled it fine, except for the fact that the front end wouldn't stay on the ground.

Last edited:
   / Another Orange or Green? #4  
What are the loader specs on the orange vs. Green? I think that JD might have a stronger loader and hydraulics. Also since the JD is hydro and the 'Bota is gear that right there would be the biggest thing I would look at.

I really like my L3400, and for the money it is a great tractor. You could buy the 'bota and have money left over for more attachments if you don't want a hydro.

/ Another Orange or Green?
I am planning on buying a hydro. I just test drove a gear L3400 at Enlow66 auctions. They had a 3203 and the gear l3400. He said he would have probably have a couple L3400hst in the next couple of weeks. I liked the loader controls better on the Kubota I drove, but the everything else was sure nice on the 3203. The loader controls seemed very "stiff" on the 3203. But it only had 17 hrs on it and may not have been used much. Not sure on the lifting capacity of both.

/ Another Orange or Green? #7  
So far I have been happy with the green one purchased from P&K. JD has various programs-discounts that you won't find unless you talk to the dealer. I prefer talking to a sales manager, but couldn't verify that I got a better deal than I would have talking to a salesman. You can get discounts on attachments with the purchase of a JD tractor.

/ Another Orange or Green? #10  
Okiespray guy,

Have you considered a used Grand L with HST?

I purchased a straight L last summer and have since traded for the Grand L HST. Night and day difference and very smooth 3PH. Has a 723 FEL that's smooth and powerful.

If you buy used orange or green and take good care of it, when it comes for re-sell you may find that its use was close to free.