Traction Another R1 v. R4 tires question

/ Another R1 v. R4 tires question #21  
R4's are a tougher tire than R1's. They have more plies and are a bit stiffer, too.

/ Another R1 v. R4 tires question #22  
Glad to help, that must be great to not have to deal with snow! I have R1's on my G154, and that only comes in around just under 1 ton, but our other tractor, a JD950 was what I was referring to. We use it primarily in the woods, and we have used it for haying, and plowing at my grandparents house. It weights just below 4000 pounds. I hope that you really enjoy your new tractor, and I'm sure that what ever you end up with, will work great for you!

Is that common in your area to not grant permits for below ground septic systems? That must make it a bit more costly. Does the septic system have an open top, or is it a sealed above ground septic system? We have a septic along with just about everyone on our street, and we have very rocky granit layers in our soil. I looked online, and Blythe looks like a great area, and terrain actually looks a lot like here. I am at the base of Mount Monadnock, and its pretty hilly. Hope that everything goes well with the house and the tractor!

NHmitch- Thanks for the great tire/wheel article and I have saved this article as a reference piece. Almost all of the other posters have responded that in my circumstances, R4 would be the best. I also have rocky soil like you, but will have no snow to contend with (one reason I moved here from Iowa many years ago) and am expecting the mud situation to be shallow.

I recently had a geo-technical engineer provide a soil analysis that I could provide to my future home builder, primarily to ensure the house will have a proper, long-term foundation in this troubled soil, as DHEC had denied a septic tank permit (as expected) and I will have to build an engineered septic system- basically a mini waste treatment plant. When the geo-tech guy was out there using a hand auger for his tests, in most of the spots of the marked foundation area, he could only get 12" below the surface (I assume due to the rocky soil) and in one spot he was able to get 36" down. And this confirms I do not think mud should be a significant issue for me.

Is your noted experience using the Bolens G154 tractor? Or a larger, heavier unit? My tractor will weigh between 5500 - 6600 pounds.

And thanks for a great post!

Greg

/ Another R1 v. R4 tires question
NHMitch- Requiring an engineered septic system is not necessarily common in this area, but does happen I guess, as there are a couple of firms in the state who do this. My soil is so rocky it is difficult to drive a stake into the ground using a 3# sledge hammer. And when the county tested using a hand auger, all they got was wet, gray material- some kind of clay. They said the material must be red clay with no gray colored streaks, for septic tank approval. Has something to do with aerobic v. anaerobic microbe activity.

The engineered system is functionality a miniature version of many municipality systems, having multiple chambers/compartments/functions, just located underground (like a septic tank) with an air pump above ground for aeration. After 24 hours of processing, the discharge is something like 98% clean and can be used for drip irrigation, if needed. Here is an example of one type of system: SINGULAIR GREEN

The neighbor immediately next to me did not find a single rock when digging their basement. And the one across the street had to have an engineered pumping system installed. Septic tanks, which I currently have are ~ $4500 here and the engineered are $16k - $22k on average, but can get more expensive. I bought the property last year with proper due diligence and was aware of the basic issue. Although the original property owners apparently were not , as I bought it from the bank for the right price to compensate. There was evidence of 3 backhoe pits in various locations, I assume due to attempts to find a suitable location.

/ Another R1 v. R4 tires question #24  
image-1777794606.jpg

These are Michelin R1's with R4 casing and strength.

Traction and durability.

/ Another R1 v. R4 tires question
Those are nice looking tires and the best of both worlds.