Another rant about buying used

/ Another rant about buying used #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
For the record, I only buy new stuff when it comes to vehicles and new tractors, etc. Because I don't trust people.

But unfortunately when you like 40 plus year old tractor collecting, you have no choice but to buy used.

I bought a tractor off a facebook antique tractor site. Talked to the seller many times. Seemed like a nice guy. Again, drove many hours to go get tractor, pics looked beautiful.
As soon as I got there and saw it, I knew I was getting fleeced. But stupid me, I paid the price because I wanted it.
Then came home and had another box of parts shipped from Steiners to start all the repairs. So ya, paid way too much, but am going to end up with another nice tractor when I'm done.

But anyway, here's another @*$% that says "It's all serviced. I just replaced ALL fluids and filters. Ready to go"

Needless to say, the engine oil was black, transmission and hydraulics were all low, and I highly doubt he changed those filters. And now I just checked the engine coolant and it's nothing but p!$$ water. Don't even register in my hydrometer.

Luckily I'm not that dumb to trust people, or I would have had a frozen and cracked engine block this summer.

Oh well, I lose money but at least I save old tractors from the hands of worthless trash people.

/ Another rant about buying used #2  
Buying “long distance” sure puts the buyer at a disadvantage.
It seems like the only way you can try to claw back some type of advantage over the seller is to bring a wad of cash and make your firm offer, or be very tough and point out the shortcomings of the item you are buying without ticking off seller TOO much.

I have really grown to dislike buying used equipment more than 50 miles from my home

/ Another rant about buying used #3  
I've had mixed long distance purchases...

The best is when they came from someone in the club or someone local to help vet the purchase.

The worst is when a seller's definition of restored was a rattle can paint over grease and rust.

Personal inspection with supporting documents and checked emotions before getting out of the truck work the best but human nature also geared to the prize...

That said, even the not so stellar purchases have worked out over time...

I was not even looking or in the market for my 700 series row crop...

The seller was downsizing and he had a long career as carrier aircraft maintenance chief.

I went as a ride along with a friend to pickup some equipment he bought and casually admired the pristine tractor in the barn...

Owner showed me pictures during the restoration and told me to take it around the yard... no discussion on buying or selling.

As we were leaving I thanked him and he mentioned he was keeping the tractor for the last to go and I said I can see why after all the effort put into it...

In short returned next week with empty trailer in tow and that is how I became the third owner of my 740 row crop.

/ Another rant about buying used #4  
If someone told me they had recently serviced the oil, etc., and then it was apparent that this wasn't true, that would be the end of the deal. If they aren't going to be truthful about something so obvious, how do they expect me to trust anything else they have to say?

/ Another rant about buying used #5  
“No rust” is my biggest gripe with people selling used. You get there and can push your finger through the rust

/ Another rant about buying used
“No rust” is my biggest gripe with people selling used. You get there and can push your finger through the rust
I have a friend looking for a GM/Chev 2500. One was on my road for sale. So he asked me to go look. Here where I am, you cannot get a safety if the rocked panels are rotten.
Well the whole bottom of this thing was rotten, the frame was rotten and it said "certified" so obviously he has a mechanic friend that's not too worried about his license.

/ Another rant about buying used
So I keep watching the Mecum Gone Farming auctions on RFD and keep trying to get the time to go to one.
Anyone ever go to one? Is it safer buying a tractor from there, seeing as how they are mostly all restored from private collections?

Or is there a lot of painted up junk you have to watch for there too?

/ Another rant about buying used #9  
I have a friend looking for a GM/Chev 2500. One was on my road for sale. So he asked me to go look. Here where I am, you cannot get a safety if the rocked panels are rotten.
Well the whole bottom of this thing was rotten, the frame was rotten and it said "certified" so obviously he has a mechanic friend that's not too worried about his license.
I have been looking for a non rusted 3500 Dmax.

/ Another rant about buying used #10  
I bought my first tractor, JD 2030 25 years ago, but from a JD mechanic I knew. He swore it was in great condition. And it was. I traded it in in 2012 because I wanted a smaller tractor my wife could drive - and went new on a JD CUT so I wouldn't have to worry about repairs for a while. And it has been perfect for 900+ hours with no shop repairs. I do buy most equipment used - BB, rake, rotary cutter, finish mower, blade, etc. because they are simple and you can easily ascertain condition with a simple examination. I bought a finish mower for junk value, replaced the rotors and have what is essentially a new machine with almost no rust - I looked. For someone on fixed income, retired, and experienced with equipment, used just makes sense. I never buy before examining. And, so far, have never had a lemon or been fooled. But, then, I don't buy complex equipment.