Another rollover death

/ Another rollover death #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Driver killed in tractor rollover in Five Corners | The Columbian

A Vancouver man attempting to move a vehicle in the Five Corners area was killed when his tractor rolled on top of him Wednesday evening.

Witnesses said the man, identified as Russell E. Cousins, 62, was using the tractor to move a vehicle on the property. The tractor flipped over, landing on top of him.

================================

Probably won't learn any more about the specifics.

I'm surprised that so many of these keep happening.

Google News - Search

Bruce

/ Another rollover death #2  
Being a new tractor owner, I have no clue as to the causes of tractor rollovers. I have lifted the rear tires off the ground while trying to pull a small stump with the FEL and a chain. I make sure now that all the roots are cut and that the stump is loose. Sure don't want to kill myself before the tractor is worn out.

/ Another rollover death #3  
Being a new tractor owner, I have no clue as to the causes of tractor rollovers. I have lifted the rear tires off the ground while trying to pull a small stump with the FEL and a chain. I make sure now that all the roots are cut and that the stump is loose. Sure don't want to kill myself before the tractor is worn out.

Pulling from the FEL with a chain probably won't make the tractor roll over; but no ballast on the hind end and pulling from the front are not the proper way to try to pull anything, especially stumps.

Tires off the ground because of imbalance front to rear will however break your tractor and could cause you possible injury. Lowest center of gravity is the rear draw bar centered under the rear axle 'pumpkin'. That is the one place to pull/draw from that allows for low COG, as noted above.

/ Another rollover death #4  
Pulling from the FEL with a chain probably won't make the tractor roll over; but no ballast on the hind end and pulling from the front are not the proper way to try to pull anything, especially stumps.

Tires off the ground because of imbalance front to rear will however break your tractor and could cause you possible injury. Lowest center of gravity is the rear draw bar centered under the rear axle 'pumpkin'. That is the one place to pull/draw from that allows for low COG, as noted above.

Thanks for the drawbar reminder. I know that is the best place to pull from. I'm having a tough time being able to see from a cabbed tractor.

/ Another rollover death #7  
Just be careful up there Doofy. Those "massive" black spruce can be a real bugger - ha,ha.

When I got my first tractor in '82 - I experienced - rear tire lift off and pivoting at the front axle. I had a bucket full of wet sand and no 3-point weight. It felt like the rear tires were three feet or so off the ground. I know it was probably six inches. The tractor pivoted to the right on the front axle pivot and, fortunately, the rear tires touched down and caught.

It took me thirty minutes to calm down - get back up on the tractor - dump the heavy load of wet sand. From that day - some 36+ years ago - I have NEVER operated either of my tractors under any condition without a heavy implement on the 3-point.

I was extremely lucky - I was working on a portion of my driveway where the drop off on either side is ten feet to "normal" ground level. Had the tractor pivoted another foot - over the edge and down ten feet to the valley floor.

/ Another rollover death #8  

I use to work for a mobile crane manufacturer and did some load testing of machines our plants produce. Few years back posted some of these suggesstion and had back lash on one and it is posted in this link as I posted it, keep the load on the uphill side.

"Keep side-mounted implements on the uphill side."

Quickly I was taken to task as being backwards on that and I backed off agreeing with those who said it needed to be on the downhill side. I live basically on flat ground and some gentle grades but nothing you can not drive across at any angle you wanted to. All I am saying is think carefully on side loads on grades, it does not have hill nor mountain, here many roll overs happen with road ditches mowing them or dropping wheel in them when turning.

When a machine begins to tip it can normally be stopped if the load causing the issue can be removed quickly, very quickly. That means when in a touchy situation keep hand on lever to drop the load with no regard for protecting the load but the machine and you. As has been mentioned keep load low any time you are moving it. Do not pull stuck machine out sideways, cable or chain comes loose or snaps it rolling back and propel it to continue to roll over on it's side. Highway Patrol like to say speed kills and it does with equipment also. Slow and steady, no jerky movements. Be careful and think, and as my wife reminds me...pray.

/ Another rollover death #9  
I find some of the most insidious situations develop when shifting heavy objects where, once the object starts to move, pivot, or lean, the weight increases exponentially while your loader is still engaged. Trying to shift fallen tree limbs is a good example. You might find that you can easily shift a downed limb with a corner of the bucket, but once gravity takes over when you move it you suddenly have two thousand pounds poorly centered on your bucket, and insufficient speed to get out from under it. My closest calls have been situations like this and I am now very, very, careful. A common task here is flipping round hay bales onto their side using my 25hp CUT loader with a tooth bar. It does it easily, but I had better have that tooth bar clear of the roll when it falls over or I am going for a far too exciting ride.

/ Another rollover death #10  
Once I spent some time exploring tractor accidents. I was amazed at how many had the similar recipe for disaster. A Farmer, a Tractor and a CHAIN!

I still go by my belief that Farm Tractors were never meant to have a FEL. It's an afterthought, something to move manure, rather than by hand. An abortion of sorts! I guess, that it's the FEL that accounts for most CUT upsets. I could be wrong.