Another shed question - screws or nails?

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #11  
Up here we have switched to Robertson (square hole) screws as they are easier for a screw driver to hold than the star head (Phillips). I have found that there always seems to be some reason to pull something apart in 5-10 years and its nice to just unscrew it. Docks, decks, siding or metal roof, all come apart easier with screws and most can be reused with new screws.
We have regular (gold), PT (green) cedar (brown) or stainless from 1 1/2" up to about 5"

/ Another shed question - screws or nails?
The distance would not stop me -- air hoses are cheap. If you do go with screws, I'd suggest picking up an impact driver -- it will be much much better than any drill for this type of work.
DCD985M2_1_500X500.jpg

20V MAX* Lithium Ion Premium 3-Speed Hammerdrill ?

0r
DCF880B_1NB_500X500.jpg

20V MAX* Lithium Ion 1/2" Impact Wrench ?

Yes, they are nice and all use the same batteries.

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #13  
   / Another shed question - screws or nails? #14  
Yeah, neither of those is what you want -- pickup an impact screw driver with the 1/4" hex quick-chuck, like the one timswi linked above, or similar. There are many good brands, but if you have an investment in batteries already, obviously go for the DeWalt.

I lost count of the number of screws I drove for my recent projects, but the impact screw driver made all the difference in the world. Would never want to go back to a drill for driving wood screws, ever.

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #15  
Maybe I'm lazy but I'd be using a framing nail gun for the entire build except the roofing where it would be a roofing coil nail gun.
With a helper that is about a 2 day job (3 tops).
Only screws I'd use would be for hardware and fittings.

I live in a heavy snow belt area and the dozens of 'nailed' sheds and garages that I have built are still in top shape.
Well a few need new shingles now.
Oh, and none are on foundations, just blocks or posts.
Personal decision but I would generally go with nails too except screws for any flooring.

Yeah, neither of those is what you want -- pickup an impact screw driver with the 1/4" hex quick-chuck, like the one timswi linked above, or similar. There are many good brands, but if you have an investment in batteries already, obviously go for the DeWalt.

I lost count of the number of screws I drove for my recent projects, but the impact screw driver made all the difference in the world. Would never want to go back to a drill for driving wood screws, ever.
The impact driver changed my life :laughing:

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #16  
I have two small decks on my house. For whatever reason - I have long forgotten - I nailed the decking on one and screwed down the decking on the other. Five years later - I finally gave up pounding down nails every spring and replaced them all with screws on the one deck.

I use screws for just about everything I build now. Yes, it takes longer but the screws have much longer staying power. I use my drill to pre drill the hole and then the impact driver to install the screw. Time - one of the luxuries of retirement.

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #17  
Up here we have switched to Robertson (square hole) screws as they are easier for a screw driver to hold than the star head (Phillips). I have found that there always seems to be some reason to pull something apart in 5-10 years and its nice to just unscrew it. Docks, decks, siding or metal roof, all come apart easier with screws and most can be reused with new screws.
We have regular (gold), PT (green) cedar (brown) or stainless from 1 1/2" up to about 5"

Sorry, but star drive screws are Torx, NOT Phillips head. Phillips head are a 'X' shape and prone to cam-out, just as square drive screws are, to a lesser extent. Star/Torx drive are the best, hands down, and do not suffer cam- out, nor do they break off heads as frequently as any other deck type screw.

And to reiterate, a impact driver oscillates the screw as it drives it, cutting the hole as the screw is driven, reducing impact on the hand of the person/robot driving the screw, and reducing the chance of the screw binding or breaking.
The impact driver is NOT the same tool as a hammer drill or a impact gun/cordless impact 'wrench'. They all have a specific purpose; but for driving star drive, (Torx head) and any other 5" or less screw for basic construction needs an impact(screw) driver wins hands down.

Here's a Rigid brand impact driver: Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR86034K 18V X4 Lithium-Ion 1-4 in. Impact Driver Kit

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #18  
Screws are great for tension applications (like holding flooring down). However, keep in mind that they will generally only have half the shear strength of nails and, from a structural rating viewpoint, are not intended to be used in shear. For the jobs we are discussing, it probably doesn't make a difference, but an inspector would fail a structure if screws are used where nails or bolts are called for because of shear loading.

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #19  
Nails are much better for shear loads and screws are better for tension loads.

For a shed it probably doesn't matter. I tend to use screws everywhere myself.

/ Another shed question - screws or nails? #20  
We have always referred to Phillips as star and Torx as Torx around here. Torx was originally an automotive screw/bolt. Didn't even have torx heads up here until about twenty years ago. About the only thing we still use Phillips for is drywall where the cam-out is a benefit, and maybe a bit of automotive trim.. For a short time we also had an eight point Robertson but it is seldom seen now.
Throw in Tamperproof and you wind up with a whole toolpouch full of screwdrivers..