Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #11  
Re: Another tire chain post: \"Roller\" tire chains

I have R4's and haven't the need to get chains. At least not yet. Our driveway is a little over 1600 feet long, and so far as of this second 62 inches this season. The R4's on their own are doing fine.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #12  

Hi,

As soon as I experienced how easy a tractor can break into a slide [on mud, the route I take to get up to my driveway/parking area] I got chains pronto.

They do make a big difference if you need them.

There is no argument that we all don't need them. I will say that the 2-link cross chains on my R4s do make a great difference in both show and mud.

If it was flat where I lived probably wouldn't need them...but I do here in Western PA...

My guess is that the ritual here will be chains on in fall and off in late spring...

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #13  

hazmat- I have the Duo-grips from Tirechain.com- they work GREAT! I have gone from bearly being able to climb my two hills in 4wd with the diff. locked, to loaded rear tires enabeling me to climb the same hills without using the rear diff. lock, to plowing up hill ( rear blade) still not using the rear diff. locked in- this was only in 11" of snow, but the 'Bota doesn't seem to know the differnce now between 4" of snow and 11"( and I don't think another foot would make a difference either.) This is on a L3010 Kubota with a 7 ft. rear blade.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #14  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As soon as I experienced how easy a tractor can break into a slide )</font>

A power slide !!?!! Go pedal down, wheel full lock, and mud flying everywhere....sounds like fun to me.

It just stinks when you hit that partially buried rock.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #15  

I'm running 2 link St Pierre chains on my B2710 rear R4's. They are great and fit perfect. Would get them again.
Barnett

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains

Thanks everybody for your input. I followed up with my dealer. $177 was for 4 link roller grip square cut. He figured a two link would be almost 2X that price.

I decided to go with the duo-grips. Sounds like either would work well. As far as the wear issue, I doubt I'll be putting enough miles on them for it to matter. A plow truck is a different story.

I'll let y'all know how I like them.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #17  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I decided to go with the duo-grips. Sounds like either would work well. )</font>

I think you made a good choice. One big advantage the Duo-Grips have over ladder-style chains is in greater side-to-side traction. A big plus if you have to drive on side hills in ice or mud.

John Mc