Another "too big?" thread

/ Another "too big?" thread #11  
fyi - I am looking at compacts and I just was informed LS makes the CNH and FNH compact tractors - while I am sure they are spec'd a lil different still the LS blue has underpinnings of red and blue outside of their own shade.......

I too am partial to Red/Green as they are what I grew up on and learned on and they were built reliable - it was hard to convince a farmer that anything mechanical was better than the reliability of a horse back in the day so they built them that way for a reason, now its about comfort/fuel economy/ergonomics reiliability has taken a hit due to complexity of the intelligence - I just purchased my first cabbed tractor and well, its a true joy - the novelty of sitting in the hot sun and picking up round/square balls every 20 feet has worn off over the years but it still is the root of who we are. Im tough and I can take the heat, but do I need to?

So dad at 80 is taken care of now and can live out whats left of his life in the cabbed one and enjoy every second of it. I am blessed to be able to help that come true for him.

So while you are looking I would look at LS - they are Korean I think still researching and looks like I have a dealer within an hour of me - have a call into them to discuss things but I like you am partial to the red stuff in ways. I do see the deck on the Farmall/Boomer looks fabricated vs stamped like the deere, THAT is something I like the looks of. I am definitely checking into that more.

I cant say enough about an AIR RIDE seat - ive never owned one until a month ago and OH MY !!! like riding in a Lincoln.......I would have said caddy but im a ford guy and never owned one but I do have my share of experience with Lincolns

/ Another "too big?" thread #12  
I have a P series LS and It has been basically problem free for 5 years and 600 hours. I see there are a few P7040 CPS tractors still hanging around and if I wanted/needed another large tractor, I would pick one up in a heartbeat. No DPF and compares favorably with a Deere M series feature wise at a substantial savings.

/ Another "too big?" thread #13  
I don’t know where you live in north Texas I live north of Denton tx. I farm an do dirt wort, land clearing. Would like to help you if your interested.

/ Another "too big?" thread #14  
No problems keeping cool while working all day long in the summer. He also just bought a brand new E model open cab that he doesn't care for. He calls it the Economy tractor that is used for loading bales at the house, but will never be used to do real work. I would be hesitant to buy a cabbed E model Deere if you are doing serious work.

Why? Would you hesitate considering buying say a M7060 for serious work? The 5E is pretty much its main competition, and it shows when driving both tractors as they handle very much the same, and are similarly outfitted to be priced in the same ballpark. Your friend sounds like a smug dude with too much $ trying to justify his decision to buy tractors costing an extra $15k+ more for a tractor that if you say is 10% nicer or more capable then you're being generous. Maybe you might say that for the price the M series sucks and you should just spend the extra for a R series because while they look alike the R is noticebly better equipped with much more/nicer features and amenities? (unless you're looking at the 50xx tractors which makes the M vs R series a moot point )

Kubota is overrated. Very good products, but overrated. I know this is a forum that's highly bias toward Kubota, but Kubota and their owners are like Toyota and their owners meaning they ride and push a reputation. (JD fans are often the same) They'll say your F150 or Silverado is an unreliable POS because Toyota is at the pinnacle of build quality and reliability and that no one else (particularly domestic) can compete. They're delusional. Yes the product they push is well built and overall reliable, but so is most everyone they compete with, and that is how they stay competing. They make none of their competition obsolete. And yes people do have issues with them.

And it's not just Kubota on here it's several of these other newb Asian brands that people like to push like LS, or Kioti, or even Mahindra, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with any of them, nor do I have an issue with anyone buying one it's just how they are pushed on here compared to JD. What I mean by that is if someone starts a thread saying, "hey I'm thinking of buying a new Kubota. What do y'all think?" (or LS, Kioti, etc) People will only go on about how that's great, and they're awesome tractors, and that they'll love it because they love theirs, and things of this nature. On the other hand if you say that you're thinking about any given new model of JD (or maybe even CNH, and MF) people want to question it, and recommend other brands because they know someone with a cousin, who's friend owns that same tractor, and it's been nothing but a POS.

For some reason everyone on the interweb seems to be under the impression that the 5E series is some crap machine. I'm not sure why as I see them probably more than any other tractor in their class around here, and if you're wanting to talk about serious work I see people using they with large/folding bush hogs, offset harrows, planters, etc. I mainly use mine to hay farm, but will take it in the woods and pull out trees I intend to saw up, or pull up smaller trees out the ground, or whatever else I need it for, and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm not saying they're the greatest tractor ever, but I am saying that they are very competitive with the competition that they are built to compete with. If you've heard of issues with them I'd say sure as most machines have issues in one form or another, and the 5E series sell like hotcakes. (around here anyways) So naturally since so many are sold it gives you greater opportunity to hear about someone having an issue with one. Kind of like you may hear more of people having issues with an AK or AR than a MP5 because more civilians own AR's and AK's than they do MP5's. The dealers I talked with claim to love them because they sell so well, and cost them relatively little in terms of warranty work for the amounts that they sell.

I also say that they are more American than people credit them for as I have family on my wifes side that work at the JD plant in Grovetown, GA where they put them together. They assemble so much of the tractors that the people there seem to think that they actually make the tractors (both 3 and 4 cylinder models) instead of putting together pieces coming from India.

Last edited:
   / Another "too big?" thread #15  
1400 hours and hydraulics are tired on a 2009 tractor??? I suppose you have changed fluids and filters as recommended with the fluid type (or equivalent) recommended, like for that tractor "Premium" universal trans-hydraulic fluid.....what does tired mean?

Years ago I tried hauling densely packed 5x6 rolls with an IH 464, 2wd, OS, no FEL, 45 hp and I had to weight the front end so I can understand your problem there.

I moved up in old school tractors peaking at a 25 year old JD 4230 2wd, 100 hp, no FEL, restored including "Sound Guard" cab interior and new 134a AC system...1st cab, really nice for baling hay and other hot weather/dusty chores here in N. TX....like you are.

In 2007 I wanted a new tractor and bought a 65 hp, 4wd, cab with all the amenities including air seat......yes on the seat and the reason is that sitting on air is like sitting on air. Speaks for itself. I use the same implements with the 65 I used with the 100 in mid range gears, like used with the 100. No doubt 4wd makes a large tractor out of a small one and with your comment about work and size, today's 4wd offerings help you achieve that.

In shopping brand, in the spring of 2007 I went shopping all the popular colors (but Kubota) and didn't find anything that rang my chimes. That fall I found what I wanted in the Branson. Lots of options out there. Best thing I could recommend is get a demonstrator and try it before you plunk down your money. All aren't alike and some things can really be a personal (for you) annoyance. I don't think I have seen anybody on 4 farm sites saying that they bought a lemon considering all the brands available today. Figure out what's important to you and go for it.

With the size of your place and the time element to get things done you might consider several tractors, at least two, one for the big jobs and the other for the smaller ones, with implements to suit each. I don't have the lineup I have just to have it. Right now I have hay on the ground and by the time I finish with it, I will have used all 5 since I work alone and each has it's niche of excellence and with more you aren't swapping implements all the time which, when considering a tractor to buy, if working alone as I am, ease of hooking up implements on your selected tractor definitely DOES make a difference. Again, in this area, all brands aren't the same!

Lots of good, used tractors out there, like the 30 year old Ford 3910 I just bought with 900 hours. Only thing it needed was fluids changed and off to the field it went. Had some cosmetic things I wanted to change and did, but weren't gotta haves...the seat being one. I bought it because I wanted a mowing tractor in my hay operation since I don't need a cab to cut hay....no dust and cut in the morning when it's cool. The cab tractor is for the baler where baling is done in hot weather and is a dusty process. This way I don't have to keep swapping back and forth between the cutter and the baler on one tractor...again connecting and disconnecting is a pain.

On glass and heat, it comes with the tool. Obviously there is auto window tint but I have picked up on chat mentioning something better for tractors. Maybe a www with the question will find what suits you. If I were still working large acreage, at my age, I'd install it in my current cab, on the 6530.

Last edited:
   / Another "too big?" thread #16  
They assemble so much of the tractors that the people there seem to think that they actually make the tractors (both 3 and 4 cylinder models) instead of putting together pieces coming from India.

This really struck a chord in me, because it involves final QC. Engineering on a Deere is likely top drawer, manufacturing computer controlled and inspected, and none of that has value if the folks putting it together screw up. Those folks at the Deere plant apparently take ownership of the tractor mentally and all the final adjustments that make the tractor so effective have to be done just right. The hydraulic hoses torqued down just right. Even greasing the seat slides. And today...getting the software right on the dash. Likely hundreds of tasks in assembly. (I own a competitive Indian relabeled tractor btw and love it) So yeah, last folks to have their hands on it makes all the difference.

This way I don't have to keep swapping back and forth between the cutter and the baler on one tractor...again connecting and disconnecting is a pain.

Six thumbs up, keeping a bush hog or something with a pto connection on a second tractor all the time saves you
time, aggravation and grease all over you. And sometimes you need to go over areas you just don't want all that big tractor weight on.
Keep the second tractor. I wound up with four...;) all inexpensive except the Kubota.

I think everyone knows the Biscaynes of the Chevy world come from India. And those models are bought up by many other companies,
some who seem to just repaint and relabel, and others set higher specs and add value to the containers of tractors that come in by giant container ships. The Indian tractors are basic. Not everyone needs or wants or can afford to drive a Cadillac or Mercedes.
What Indian tractors generally have is cheap weight. Sophistication? No. Mahindra will get there but they are like Hyundai trying to sell $60k sedans. Not a good business case for that.

LS blue. Electric robin's egg blue. Sure not going to get missed in that tractor, but since it seems to be
an outstandingly good value in a high quality tractor, folks will put up with the color. I pass a New Holland dealer almost every day and slow
down just to drool over all that shining beautiful blue. You say potato, I say potahto

I suggest the OP will find long term satisfaction in a 100hp 8000 pound tractor with a comfortable cab and a transmission he finds easy
to use. And keep the current tractor, just get the hydraulic pressure checked. Might be something easily fixable.
Most of us always want more capability than we've got, until we get to what I think OP needs. Anything much bigger than that you are into dual rear wheels, gps and big ag farming.

Last edited:
   / Another "too big?" thread #17  
They assemble so much of the tractors that the people there seem to think that they actually make the tractors (both 3 and 4 cylinder models) instead of putting together pieces coming from India.

This really struck a chord in me, because it involves final QC. Engineering on a Deere is likely top drawer, manufacturing computer controlled and inspected, and none of that has value if the folks putting it together screw up. Those folks at the Deere plant apparently take ownership of the tractor mentally and all the final adjustments that make the tractor so effective have to be done just right. The hydraulic hoses torqued down just right. Even greasing the seat slides. And today...getting the software right on the dash. Likely hundreds of tasks in assembly. (I own a competitive Indian relabeled tractor btw and love it) So yeah, last folks to have their hands on it makes all the difference.

This way I don't have to keep swapping back and forth between the cutter and the baler on one tractor...again connecting and disconnecting is a pain.

Six thumbs up, keeping a bush hog or something with a pto connection on a second tractor all the time saves you
time, aggravation and grease all over you. And sometimes you need to go over areas you just don't want all that big tractor weight on.
Keep the second tractor. I wound up with four...;) all inexpensive except the Kubota.

I think everyone knows the Biscaynes of the Chevy world come from India. And those models are bought up by many other companies,
some who seem to just repaint and relabel, and others set higher specs and add value to the containers of tractors that come in by giant container ships. The Indian tractors are basic. Not everyone needs or wants or can afford to drive a Cadillac or Mercedes.
What Indian tractors generally have is cheap weight. Sophistication? No. Mahindra will get there but they are like Hyundai trying to sell $60k sedans. Not a good business case for that.

LS blue. Electric robin's egg blue. Sure not going to get missed in that tractor, but since it seems to be
an outstandingly good value in a high quality tractor, folks will put up with the color. I pass a New Holland dealer almost every day and slow
down just to drool over all that shining beautiful blue. You say potato, I say potahto

I suggest the OP will find long term satisfaction in a 100hp 8000 pound tractor with a comfortable cab and a transmission he finds easy
to use. And keep the current tractor, just get the hydraulic pressure checked. Might be something easily fixable.
Most of us always want more capability than we've got, until we get to what I think OP needs. Anything much bigger than that you are into dual rear wheels, gps and big ag farming.

Nice post!

/ Another "too big?" thread #18  
If you buy a new one over 74HP you are going to have to mess with DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) and that is a whole nother can of worms. Couple of vendors try to work around it using tons of EGR but that just dumps a lot more carbon into the engine and oil system. DEF is mostly good if you run the machine a lot (don't let it sit for a couple of weeks), but unless you run it hard and almost daily expect problems. We have 85 acres and I went with a Kioti RX7320 (about 40K with a loader) with the cab and powershuttle transmission. AC has overhead vents and works very well here in hot and humid central Texas, and the loader will lift almost 4K so hay will not be a problem. I am eventually going to get another bigger tractor for some future projects, but it will be a pre-emissions one like a Deere,

Case Farmall 75C does not use DEF or DPF. Uses DOC. Once you go to 85HP on they use DEF. Extremely comfortable cab but will it be big enough for OP's needs or does be need to go bigger?

/ Another "too big?" thread #19  
You should give a hard look at the new Massey Ferguson 4700 series. Top notch. Affordable. Weigh close to 10k with a loader. Cab is second to none. No DPF. Screenshot_20180817-074441_Gallery.jpeg