Tractor Sizing ANother tractor sizing and capability question

/ ANother tractor sizing and capability question #11  
I agree with the other responders here that you need to consider a heavier tractor with a little more than 25 horsepower. I owned a light-frame Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader with 33 horsepower. It was an excellent machine to learn on but after awhile I was operating it at the margin of safety too much of the time. Now I have a Kubota L3560 tractor/loader which only has 35 horsepower but weighs 2,000 pounds more than the B3300SU and has considerably larger tires. This is a medium size but HEAVY FRAME compact tractor. I feel much safer doing the same tasks as before because this machine, due largely to its weight, is so much more stable and capable.

Every tractor brand you are considering has an entry in this segment.

Disc Harrows are clump breaking implements. When farmers plowed in the Fall the ground sat over the winter and the plow furrows/clumps partially broke down with freeze/thaw cycles. Then a Disc Harrow was used to further reduce furrows/clumps, often with a drag harrow being towed behind to ready the ground for seed. Today, only a few people plow, mostly in the north, because no-till with Roundup is a lot cheaper than running a tractor over fields multiple times. But a suffeciently heavy Disc Harrow is probably what you want for chopping up snout clumps.

To me, a full pasture renovation means breaking the soil at least 6" deep, using a plow, a subsoiler, a Hay King pasture renovator or some other tool that will break up sub-surface hard pan so water will drain and fertilizer reach the root zone. As you do not report standing water, it does not seem you need "renovation". You can probably just fertilize/lime, disc, drag, re-seed and roll.

For shallow trenching a Ratchet Rake "Rip & Dig" for the FEL is probably a good option. A Bucket Spade is better for planting trees and shrubs but is too wide for trenching. You could use the Rip & Dig for the wallows or take it off and use just the FEL bucket. If a potato plow is sufficient, go with that.

You have not said much about your wooded land, which is a large part of your property. For tearing out brush and for minor road/track grading Ratchet Rake's "Ratchet Rake" another bucket attachment, is hard to beat.

What is in your future? You cannot justify a big expenditure on equipment for ten piggies, unless they are pets or unless the equipment is a hobby/recreation. {T-B-N has many participants who have $60,000 of recreational tractor and implements.}

Take your time; shop.

Disc Harrow Selection LINK:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/308251-disc-harrow-selection-18-45-a.html?highlight=

Ratchet Rake, LLC, LINK:

Ratchet Rake, LLC - Rip and Dig, All Terrain Rake, Snow Edge, Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction attac

Attachments

• DSC00147.jpg
    DSC00147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 313
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 371
  • DSC00129.jpg
    DSC00129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
   / ANother tractor sizing and capability question #12  
I think you are pretty close to what you will need. A 25-35 hp tractor that weighs in at somewhere around 3000lbs will get the job done. A rotary cutter,loader and box blade would be handy. A good disk harrow will help for some of it but will be nearly useless after you get things the way you want them. Maybe you could rent or borrow one.

/ ANother tractor sizing and capability question #13  
the Kioti and Mahindra appear to be relatively heavy for their size - you can add ballast but that only solves one of the problems with lighter tractors - it does not make the tractor frame/structure stronger which is sometimes what is needed - no mention is made of 4WD but that is helpful for FEL work as well as power steering which is nearly always a standard right now - the lack of power steering and heavy front end frames/structure and weak hydraulics are typical downsides of older tractors along with weak hydraulics - while all of us want the biggest thing we can afford - what you don't want is something too big that you don't have maneuvering space - but from the description of your property, it appears that you ought to be ok in that regard - one of my friends has a 35-40 HP tractor with hydro and he says it is useless to try plowing with it since so much of the power is wasted in the transmission - so he uses an old tractor with stick - unfortunately most smaller tractors don't have power shift - which is really the way to go - some of the more utility designed tractors will have shuttle shift - this is really nice for using the FEL and is highly recommended if FEL is a good portion of the work you will be doing...the 2 main things in this selection is to (1) work within budget and (2) get the most tractor/implements that will fit in the space where you will be operating and (3) comfort/ease of use - try them out - a little seat time never hurt anybody...not many users ever complain about having too much power - van

/ ANother tractor sizing and capability question #14  
I like HST for ease of use and changing ground speed independent of other activity - but typically they won't pull nearly as hard nor as much as a stick or powershift
van