Comparison Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia)

/ Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia) #1  

Bart Mancuso

Tractor
Mahindra eMax 25 HST + various attachments
Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia)

So, I'm back at looking for my first tractor (started last year and got distracted...or is that distractored??).

Anyway, I seem to have narrowed it down to a Mahindra 1538 or a JD 3036E...based on looking for something around 30-40Hp for general landscaping, farm maintenance, etc. Can't afford (and probably don't need) anything bigger, but don't want a smaller one that will be underpowered. Learned to avoid the cheap Chinese ones (probably OK, but I'm not a mechanical whizz so warranty/service/dealer support is important).

Interested in opinions...often the consensus seems to be "JD all the way" on some forums, but then others side with Mahindra as they outperform JD for the price. The mahindra is (I understand) powered by a Japanese-built engine (Mitsubishi?) whereas the JD is Chinese-built Yanmar.

So, my dilemma:
- Essentially, with a few add-ons I want like 4-in-1 FEL, backhoe, post-hole digger, box grader and stick rake, they come out within $1,000 of each other.
- Both have good warranties for 2000 hours (M = 3 yrs, JD = 5 or 6 yrs on powertrain also).
- Both dealers are good and similar distance to me. JD is dedicated, M isn't but he's the region's rep and would do on-site if needed. Free delivery on the 1538 too. Mahindra rep seems good, but also a bit of a used-care salesman type, but has a good reputation.
- 36 vs 38 HP, not sure I'd notice the difference honestly. PTO and some other specs seem to even it out
- Mahindra is a bit bigger and heavier
- Both HST and 4wd

So, anyone else looked at these or have opinions given the overall price, specs and support seem close?? :confused:

Any input, experiences or thoughts appreciated :) Thanks in advance

Quick edit: I'm doing landscaping (moving soil, fencing, fire clearing, moving stuff, leveling gravel drives, etc). Nothing too strenuous, will get used once a week or so. Won't be used for mowing/slashing.

/ Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia) #2  
Re: Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia)

Yanmar is not Chinese made. It's a Japanese company with over 100 years of history manufacturing Diesel engines and diesel-related products. They are the world leader in building marine Diesel engines. They built a lot tractors for John Deere and supply most of their engines.

Yanmar - Wikipedia

/ Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia)
Re: Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia)

Cool, thanks for clarifying. I was told the smaller JD's were Chinese powered & assembled. Makes the comparison even harder!

I don't think I could go wrong with either, but keen to get any input or sage advice.

/ Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia) #4  

I'm not sure, but if the 3036E is like the 3032E, the loader frame is not removable from the tractor. However, this may not be a detraction for you.

/ Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia) #5  

Looking at the specs of each tractor I see that the Mahindra 1538 weighs 1000lbs more than the JD. You may want to double check those numbers, but if true, and given a similar cost, I would go with the Mahindra. You'll be able to get more work done with it.

/ Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia) #6  

Looking at the specs of each tractor I see that the Mahindra 1538 weighs 1000lbs more than the JD. You may want to double check those numbers, but if true, and given a similar cost, I would go with the Mahindra. You'll be able to get more work done with it.
You are correct on the weight difference.

/ Another "which one?" thread: Mahindra 1538 or John Deere 3036E (in Australia)

Thanks for the comments so far. I am leaning towards the Mahindra after a bit more research, the couple of HP doesn't have much in it but the extra weight and a few things like a better 4-in-1 (Aussie made, quick detach, removable, movement range and capacity) and it feels a little less "cheap" in terms of fittings/finish (I believe that's typical of the JD "E" series, the "R" is higher spec).

Still some thinking and working out the implements I want to package it up with. About to go traveling so may hold off until June and see what EOFY deal I can get.